Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free reliable email providers that allow @yourdomain
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free reliable email providers that allow @yourdomain

CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

Hey just another quick question does anyone know a good free email provider that allows you to use your own domain. i had the old Gmail one but i'm looking for something similar. but it seems you have to pay these day :P

Comments

• Yandex :)

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

no you can't use your own domain

• RazzaRazza Member

davenz said: no you can't use your own domain

They do a quick Goggle search and you would of found this page https://domain.yandex.com

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Zoho allows you to use your own domain. It is free for one custom domain.

• feezioxiiifeezioxiii Member, Host Rep

Another vote for Yandex :D

• mrclownmrclown Member

Still vote for zoho. But for biz, you better go with Office 365 or GApps

• nepsneps Member

Zoho. But seriously, just go with GApps.

• Zoho works well.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Mailgun is pretty sweet, I've had zero issues with it for the past few years. You get 10k emails free per month. Recently switched everything over to mxroute, though.

• openosopenos Member

Office 365 Education.....

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited May 2018

@MasonR said:
    Mailgun is pretty sweet, I've had zero issues with it for the past few years. You get 10k emails free per month. Recently switched everything over to mxroute, though.

Mailgun and the like aren't really suitable for sending personal email. There's no feedback loop to the original sender. For instance, if you send a message and it bounces at the recipient's mailserver, the bounce message isn't relayed back to you. It exists only at Mailgun. Might be acceptable for one user (who has access to the Mailgun account and checks there for bounces).

Mxroute is different.

• Yandex is best. You get email for domain, 10GB drive storage and unlimited photos storage via mobile app. Using it for two years without any issues.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2018

Yandex has to store all your mail, including what you deleted, unencrypted for 6 months, and share with the Russian authorities even without any court order. And given how widespread corruption is in Russia, you should assume the circle of people able to peek into anyone's mailbox is rather large and is determined not by any law but by "connections" and the amount of money they're willing to spend.

• Rackspace email

• sleddogsleddog Member

davenz said: it seems you have to pay these day

Yup. Unless you want your free-email-provider analysing/sharing your email.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • lemonlemon Member

@neps said:
    Zoho. But seriously, just go with GApps.

I only see a 14 day trial, did I miss something?

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • xaocxaoc Member

@sleddog said:

davenz said: it seems you have to pay these day

Yup. Unless you want your free-email-provider analysing/sharing your email.

If you want privacy go with a self'hosted option.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • sleddogsleddog Member

xaoc said: If you want privacy go with a self'hosted option.

Or a commercial service (and read their TOS). Paid services like GApps, Outlook 365, Rackspace, etc. don't do nefarious things with your email

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

rm_ said: Yandex has to store all your mail, including what you deleted, unencrypted for 6 months

So you're saying they offer free backups...possibly with an offsite copy...

• CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

the reason for asking im still on the old legacy gApps and want to change my primary email. and cannot do it.

• GApps is the best maybe.

• williewillie Member

Migadu.com though outgoing mail for free accounts puts their 1-line blurb in signatures, and there are outgoing volume limits.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@davenz said:
    Hey just another quick question does anyone know a good free email provider that allows you to use your own domain. i had the old Gmail one but i'm looking for something similar. but it seems you have to pay these day :P

As far as a free email @yourdomain.com goes, Zoho is pretty decent, and as @_rm rightly pointed out, stay the fuck away from yandex.

However, if you can afford to pay a little, G-Suite is the absolute best when it comes to email reliability, and a decent feature set to go along with it.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@rm78dmcvik said:
    Zoho mail - thank me later :)

You didn't hang around long enough for anyone to thank you later.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@rm_ said:
    Yandex has to store all your mail, including what you deleted, unencrypted for 6 months, and share with the Russian authorities even without any court order. And given how widespread corruption is in Russia, you should assume the circle of people able to peek into anyone's mailbox is rather large and is determined not by any law but by "connections" and the amount of money they're willing to spend.

A useful reminder that privacy is a privilege that one shouldn't take for granted.

The implementation of that law may look a little different. From the Wikipedia page (under "Surveillance provisions"):

Because of unprecedented data storage requirements, implementation of the law has been described as impossible and extremely expensive. The Russian Post estimated that the implementation of the law would cost the organization 500 billion rubles for initial purchases of equipment and 100 billion rubles yearly. Implementation of the law by other delivery and freight services was estimated to cost around 180 billion rubles, which is projected to cause 30–40% drop in online number of purchases. Cell service operators will need 2.2 trillion rubles to comply, which will cause a two- or threefold rise in the cost of mobile services for the consumer. Edward Snowden estimated the combined cost of implementation to be 33 billion dollars and predicted that the overall security levels will be unaffected, despite giant affiliated costs.

After Putin signed the law, it turned out that equipment that is needed to store all the data is non-existent not only in Russia, but in the world. Because of that Putin has issued a call for government contracts to Russian companies for the required hardware and software.

Thanked by 1Claverhouse
  • AeneAene Member

@rm78dmcvik said:
    Zoho mail - thank me later :)

Isn't Zoho selling customer details now?

https://old.reddit.com/r/webhosting/comments/8ml0z8/zoho_sells_details_of_users_to_companies_need_an/

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2018

angstrom said: The implementation of that law may look a little different

angstrom said: it turned out that equipment that is needed to store all the data is non-existent not only in Russia, but in the world.

That's about the crazier provisions, i.e. that ISPs must store all of their customers' downloaded and uploaded traffic also for 6 months. On the other hand storing just E-Mail (at least text-based message bodies) at the mail provider is not a huge deal, and you should assume they have no problem doing that.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

If it doesn't have to be free, then Fastmail is another good option. Costs $50/user/year if you want to use your own domain, or $90/user/year if you want tamperproof e-mail retention.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

I do believe all free email providers do sell data, example: google (Gmail) was scanning emails in order to get accurate ads on page. Privacy and free is not compatible together as providers one or other way do sell data.