Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interested in Albania Datacenter?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Interested in Albania Datacenter?

armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

Hey,

So to be clear, i absolutely have no clue in running servers, monitoring them.. etc. I'm completely a newbie when we talk about those things, however it has come to my attention that there's no much servers actually located in my country[Albania] or probably none at all. No datacenter or anything, just a few private companies which use it for their own systems.

Would you be interested in servers located in Albania let's say in a nice price?[not 'nicer than most of the offers you get here on other locations but still].

This for the moment is just an idea and asking for curiosity and no i don't have the financials to open a datacenter either.

What do you think?

Regards, Armand

Comments

• rumi4rumi4 Member
    edited May 2018

Albania and all countries in region have to expencive internet and other thinks you need to open data center.

Also its not attractive locations.

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

@rumi4 said:
    Albania and all countries in region have to expencive internet and other thinks you need to open data center.

Also its not attractive locations.

I’m aware of all the costs.

Regards, Armand

• emghemgh Member

There’s people here who like to have some exotic idle vps, I guess this dosen’t justify building a hosting facility though.

• williewillie Member

OneProvider has offers in Tirana:

https://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/tirana-albania

This is not a business you want to enter unless you know what you're doing (maybe through technical partners) and you have decent financing.

Thanked by 1AlbaHost
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited May 2018

Give us a Dubai datacenter, OP.

@willie said:

I was not aware of that, the pricing looks extreemly high although.

Regards, Armand

• shellshell Member

albahost located at albania
    https://www.albahost.net/albanianvpsvds.php

i don't know about their exact datacenter location.
    i'm not their customer, just see their offer here

Thanked by 1AlbaHost
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited May 2018

@armandorg said:
    Hey,

So to be clear, i absolutely have no clue in running servers, monitoring them.. etc.

>

I'm completely a newbie when we talk about those things

>

and no i don't have the financials to open a datacenter either.

Add to that: "I have no clue about the potential market / client base" (no offense).

So, what exactly are you offering? What do you envision would be your part in this, Armand?

What do you think?

The target market for such a venture would be, first and foremost, local. Please don't confuse a datacenter project with the cloud / VPS hosting market segment. Given the "exotic" location, this would be marginal at best. Let me put it this way: one full rack can house 4,000-5,000 VPS "boxes". Given sizeable minimum fixed startup costs, a viable Tier 3, or better yet, Tier 4 datacenter project would be hundreds of racks (I'm involved in such a project in Hong Kong and have just had a bucket of ice cold water dumped on my head during recent Cloud Expo / DataCentre World Expo here in HK ;)

Assuming this brainstorm of yours survives another good night's sleep, I think you should do more due diligence / market research and draw up some numbers based on that. This is assuming you have some business acumen and contacts to perform such a feasibility study (no offense, we can't all be business pros, but it's a good idea to consider what your strenghts are, or lack thereof, before jumping in the deep end ;)

This said, you might just be on to something here. Albania might be a viable niche. Not that I believe for a second there are no datacenters there, which, incidentally, is not an obstacle, but an asset :) Ditto re current, inflated bandwidth pricing (a viable datacenter project's scale allows for negotiation directly with bandwidth providers and IX's, especially if you can get your government behind the project).

@deank said:
    Give us a Dubai datacenter, OP.

Huh? Is there a shortage of datacenters in Dubai / Emirates? I was not aware they had invested billions in Dubai Internet City, but forgot about basic internet infrastructure ;)

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Yes I'd be interested.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

It isn't exactly democratic and all...

• mkshmksh Member

Yes, i'd be interested too. Not that much in getting a huge server there but if you manage to do some nice yearly VPS offer or some crazy cheap dedis like @drserver or scaleway i might bite.

Having said that i think you should really think this through. I am not familiar with the albanian server market but from other comments it's expensive and not exactly large so on one hand you might not make a ton of money now but on the other hand you have lots of room for growth. Guess it depends how much you have to invest, how long you could keep it running with little or even negative profit and how optimistic you are on growth of the overall market. You might be ahead of the game if demand increases or you might just realize it was a bad investment a couple years down the road.

I guess you get cheap (and hopefully somewhat reliable) energy over there so thats at least something but you'd also need a partner to bring in some technical experience it seems and what about cooling? I don't know the place but hows temperatures? Can you maybe go to some mountain region to avoid summer heat? All points to consider but who knows maybe one day you could be the albanian @cociu ;)

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2018

@willie said:

This is not a business you want to enter unless you know what you're doing (maybe through technical partners) and you have decent financing.

Our DC is in Tirana, and OneProvider is reselling our services in Albania location.

edited May 2018

@AlbaHost said:
    Our DC is in Tirana, and OneProvider is reselling our services in Albania location.

If i may ask where exactly are the servers located? In what facility / building?

Regards, Armand

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2018

@armandorg said:

@AlbaHost said:

If i may ask where exactly are the servers located? In what facility / building?

Regards, Armand

Abdi Toptani Street - Torre Drin - Second Floor, Tirane, Albania

Thanked by 1armandorg