Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Raid for high download and upload server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which Raid for high download and upload server?

Hi,

I have a 10gbps port and now using 12x4tb with RAID 6 HW.

Now I am facing a lot of issue with this setups . As soon machine passed 24 hours of uptime it is getting unresponsive in next 24 hours. I can see ports are only pushing at speed of 1gbps.

And I use Centos 6.4 - does this os have any issue? Host said kernel has some issue in doing cron job and getting lock.

I amnot tech guy any spec and any recommendation for which config to go with will be real help to me.

I need to have atleast 35tb per machine. So please do suggest.

Comments

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
  • RAID50

• 50 or straight 0 depending on use case

• Thanks for the suggestion.

So If I use RAID 50 with 12x4tb will the performance will be more faster?

And do CentOS 6.4 has any bugs?

• @serverian @texteditor

I read that RAID10 is best of all RAID technique. Will that helps?

• What's the data stored on that box? Is it valuable? Is it only downloads, or are there also uploads to the server?

• @rds100

Yes all those files are my customers. Some pay money to store files and yes they are valauable for them.

And there is lot amount of read and 1/2 amount of write.

• If you have both reads and writes you should probably do RAID10. RAID5x/RAID6x should be good for reads, but would be slowed down by a lot of (random) writes.
    Of course with RAID10 there is a tradeoff - you only get 24TB usable space.

• @filegrasper said:
    serverian texteditor

I read that RAID10 is best of all RAID technique. Will that helps?

RAID1+0 will give you the best writing performance over other RAIDs except RAID0 but you won't get 35TB of space with it.

You need RAID50

• Yeah if this is customer data my vote is raid50 too

• Thanks guys , the issue is after 24 hours uptime in my machine as soon more download happens the machine is slowing down all its process as it is RAID 6.

So if i dont care about space and if i need only high performance then shall i go with RAID 10 without any doubt ?

And also right now i have 12x4tb raid 6, if i change to 24x4tb RAID10 then how much % the performance can be increase?

And any other advantage?

• RAID10 (RAID 1+0) will be your best bet for read/write performance with mirroring to protect the valuable data, but you will only have 50% disk space available. RAID50/60 will give your nodes a high write penalty.

• @rogriverac

Thanks, So finally I decided to switch to 24x4tb or with 24+ hdds.

Some recommends "setup 6 raid10 with 4 drives each, instead of one big array" will be the best choice

And also some said the above setup will lead the controller to have more overhead.

Any comments on it ?