Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do VPS signup pages ask for nameserver?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

zjenzjen Member
edited February 2012 in General

Is this only for when you use a valid domain name or can you actually set a nameserver that can handle reverse DNS for your IP?

Comments

• Because them VPS host usually don't know how to edit a PHP file and remove two lines which cause them to appear there.

If they ask for it, just put * in both, their not used ever.

Thanked by 3DeletedUser rds100 zjen
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2012

It's a WHMCS default thing, I have no clue what it does. Could be for managed servers, so the provider knows what to set the nameservers to maybe. :S

• @Daniel said: Because them VPS host usually don't know how to edit a PHP file and remove two lines which cause them to appear there.

HTML, not PHP. There just happens to be a couple of Smarty language variables there.

In any case, removing or commenting the lines will break a WHMCS order form, as those fields are required. As like I've done with our new WHMCS template (not yet released), you have to change them from text fields to hidden input fields with a preset value.

Thanked by 2Infinity maxexcloo
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited February 2012

damn, how do i paste code without vanilla breaking it?

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited February 2012

@rds100 - use <pre>

Example:

<?php echo "Hello World"; ?>
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited February 2012

Patch removing the ns1ns2 question here - http://pastebin.com/gsX0Az17
    You get the idea, need to change it depending on the orderform template you use.

@Aldryic i tried PRE first - didn't work.

• <pre><?php echo "Hello World"; ?></pre> was the exact line of my example, btw.

• @Aldryic said: Example:

<?php echo "Hello World" ?>

In that post you forgot the semi-colon, just saying.

• @Naruto said: In that post you forgot the semi-colon, just saying.

that would work fine, as it's not needed right before a ?>

• No, it is quite plainly there. Go troll somewhere else, I've had enough of your childish antics.

Thanked by 3Infinity camti Steve81
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2012

@Naruto said: In that post you forgot the semi-colon, just saying.

You don't even need semi-colon's on one line scripts.

EDIT: Darn, both beat me to it. I never knew I was blind. :(

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @Aldryic said: No, it is quite plainly there. Go troll somewhere else, I've had enough of your childish antics.

lol you edited your post. @Chief come prove me right plz.

• Why would you make them hidden inputs instead of removing them and adjusting the WHMCS script?

• @Aldryic said: you have to change them from text fields to hidden input fields with a preset value.

Which breaks the order page for those of us still selling shared hosting as well.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @miTgiB use different orderform template for shared hosting then?

• @zjen because you don't have the source of WHMCS and can't change it.

• @zjen said: Why would you make them hidden inputs instead of removing them and adjusting the WHMCS script?

Because the script you would have to adjust is protected by IONcube encryption. Hidden is the best that you can do.

@miTgiB said: Which breaks the order page for those of us still selling shared hosting as well.

Apologies, this is true. My modification is only for non-domain/non-shared usage.

• @Aldryic said: HTML, not PHP. There just happens to be a couple of Smarty language variables there.

In any case, removing or commenting the lines will break a WHMCS order form, as those fields are required. As like I've done with our new WHMCS template (not yet released), you have to change them from text fields to hidden input fields with a preset value.

Jesus, don't have to be detailed to the very last thing.

You remove the two lines and replace them with hidden variables inputs.

• IonCube sounds interesting, I'd love to see some of the encoded code. Is it valid standalone PHP or does it require extra modules/make remote requests?

• We have hidden it as it started to confuse people. It's a simple edit of one of the order form files.

For example, check out: https://billing.urpad.net/cart.php?a=add&pid=117

We've only made hostname & root password show, and hid ns1 & ns2.

• @zjen said: it require extra modules/make remote requests?

Correct, it requires an additional module on the httpd.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Daniel said: Because them VPS host usually don't know how to edit a PHP file and remove two lines which cause them to appear there.

And what if the providers offer other services? If you remove the NS options from the order form it does it for all services even the ones that use the NS fields...

• @Aldryic said: Correct, it requires an additional module on the httpd.

Ioncube has nothing to do with the webserver, but it is a php module.

• Hurr, indeed sir. Thanks for the correction, my mind is elsewhere tonight.

• vedranvedran Veteran
    edited February 2012

Can't you do something like this:
    {if $order== 'vps' || $order== 'dedicated'} <input type="hidden" name="ns1prefix" value="ns1" /> <input type="hidden" name="ns2prefix" value="ns2" /> {else} ... {/if}

I'm sure there is a smarty variable which tells you what the order is.

Also, pre doesn't work with html code, or you have to escape it.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

no reason, it should ask you for the hostname or RDNS only.

• @Naruto

Haven't you left yet?

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @Naruto sorry ... But use <?=$foo?> when you can ... troll speed ahead

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited February 2012

@natestamm said: @Naruto sorry ... But use <?=$foo?> when you can ... troll speed ahead

Only problem with that is it the PHP has short_tags disabled it doesn't work. I still think <?php echo $blah->blah; ?> looks neater though :P

• For people selling cPanel/Directadmin packages, i think you guys need to ask for the NS. So you could have it hidden/disabled with "n/a" at start, and then nag the user when he/she select a control panel / managed service.