Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What the best backup tool for VPS Linux ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Go4MartGo4Mart Member

since if I have doing new installation and want to restore all settings of the VPS what should be done here to backup and restore all packages or have to reinstall all packages if reinstalled the VPS ?

Comments

• Pretty sure this is impossible for free.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Why not to use bash scripts? This way you be able to run installations and copy all setting files as you required or from settings template.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • bbuckmbbuckm Member

If you go with Digital Ocean, they let you take “snapshots” of your machine in its initial state. Some other providers may have a similar feature.

• lemonlemon Member

@bbuckm said:
    If you go with Digital Ocean, they let you take “snapshots” of your machine in its initial state. Some other providers may have a similar feature.

he asked for the best, snapshots are nice if you work on a dev system, but on a prod system it's not really an option to use snapshots for backup purpose.

• Depends on if the provider lets you boot custom ISO's or not, if they do something like VEEAM agent can image the entire thing when it's running although it needs an SMB share to write the image to.

For packages it depends on the machine and if it's a one off or not, for my generic set of base packages I like to have on pretty much everything I have an ansible playbook to install them.

• FalzoFalzo Member

rsync. Maybe rdiff-backup instead. Automysql-backup can come in handy too...

• Go4MartGo4Mart Member

How about this ?
    https://virtualizor.com/wiki/VPS_Backups

Did anyone try this ?