Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Short reviews of Ramnode and HostUS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Short reviews of Ramnode and HostUS

hostnoobhostnoob Member
edited May 2018 in Reviews

Ramnode

I've been using Ramnode for almost 4 years now. I have a few different boxes. 2x 1GB standard OVZ SSDs (one was originally bought as a 512MB, and the sudden free double RAM was nice, since usually companies only give offers to new customers) and 1x 512MB standard KVM SSD

Speeds are consistently great across all of the boxes.

1GB Standard OpenVZ SSD (NYC)

1GB Standard OpenVZ SSD (NL)

512MB Standard KVM SSD (NL)

Uptime is nothing special since I've restarted them a few times.

I've used support a couple times, and it's always been lightning fast (I'm talking ~10 minutes max)

Most times have been account issues (i.e. upgrading the plan, etc.)

One was an issue with my IP being dropped for some reason. Support replied in 11 minutes, and said it could be an issue with Telia, so offered to change my IP. However the issue shortly resolved itself, and has been fine since.

Another time was when I caused some high load by downloading a big file with axel (at least I'm pretty sure that's what caused it) so support restarted the VPS, then contacted me asking what I was doing. It happened again, so they shut down the VPS. I contacted them and explained, and they restarted the VPS and replied within 2 minutes.

I've not really had or noticed any major issues so can't comment, but overall, I've had an amazing experience with Ramnode and will continue to use them.

I highly recommend Ramnode if their plans/locations suit your needs.

HostUS

I've only used HostUS since September 2017, but I've had no issues since then. Uptime is at at 248 days, which is pretty much day 1

I have the $16/yr plan from here in London

Performance is great, and speeds are excellent.

Unfortunately I don't have extensive experience with them to write a more detailed review. In fact the other day I logged in to see if they'd forgotten to charge me, since I have this box which just sits there and works without fault, I don't even remember when I got it. That's why I decided to write a good review for them.

Highly recommended, and will definitely be renewing in September

Comments

• ChalipaChalipa Member

Good review.

How did u check the speed of the VPS via speedtest.net? have u installed openvpn or something else?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Chalipa said:
    Good review.

How did u check the speed of the VPS via speedtest.net? have u installed openvpn or something else?

Have a look at speedtest-cli
    https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/speedtest-cli/ :)

• @Chalipa said:
    Good review.

wget --no-check-certificate -O speedtest-cli https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py; chmod +x speedtest-cli; ./speedtest-cli --share

Taken from here (amended slightly because sometimes you get a certificate error in wget)

https://github.com/sivel/speedtest-cli

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Thanks for the review and your long term business!

Thanked by 2hostnoob wa44io4
  • Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited May 2018

Even Shared/Reseller hosting from RamNode is better than HostUS. But recently I'm seeing their CPU (8 core) maxing out always on their Atlanta 4 node. Sometimes the 15 min. load is 15 or so and many-a-times (i.e. frequently) throughout the day the CPU load is beyond 8 (Is what is see from my WHM)! Otherwise in terms of connectivity, speed, etc. they are way better (and more stable) than HostUs.
    @Nick_A

• @Sofia_K said:
    Even Shared/Reseller hosting from RamNode is better than HostUS. But recently I'm seeing their CPU (8 core) maxing out always on their Atlanta 4 node. Sometimes the 15 min. load is 15 or so and many-a-times (i.e. frequently) throughout the day the CPU load is beyond 8 (Is what is see from my WHM)! Otherwise in terms of connectivity, speed, etc. they are way better (and more stable) than HostUs.

Oh, I'm not comparing them. I use both, and both have been good for me.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@hostnoob said:
    Ramnode

I've been using Ramnode for almost 4 years now. I have a few different boxes. 2x 1GB standard OVZ SSDs (one was originally bought as a 512MB, and the sudden free double RAM was nice, since usually companies only give offers to new customers) and 1x 512MB standard KVM SSD

Speeds are consistently great across all of the boxes.

1GB Standard OpenVZ SSD (NYC)

1GB Standard OpenVZ SSD (NL)

512MB Standard KVM SSD (NL)

Uptime is nothing special since I've restarted them a few times.

I've used support a couple times, and it's always been lightning fast (I'm talking ~10 minutes max)

Most times have been account issues (i.e. upgrading the plan, etc.)

One was an issue with my IP being dropped for some reason. Support replied in 11 minutes, and said it could be an issue with Telia, so offered to change my IP. However the issue shortly resolved itself, and has been fine since.

Another time was when I caused some high load by downloading a big file with axel (at least I'm pretty sure that's what caused it) so support restarted the VPS, then contacted me asking what I was doing. It happened again, so they shut down the VPS. I contacted them and explained, and they restarted the VPS and replied within 2 minutes.

I've not really had or noticed any major issues so can't comment, but overall, I've had an amazing experience with Ramnode and will continue to use them.

I highly recommend Ramnode if their plans/locations suit your needs.

HostUS

I've only used HostUS since September 2017, but I've had no issues since then. Uptime is at at 248 days, which is pretty much day 1

I have the $16/yr plan from here in London

Performance is great, and speeds are excellent.

Unfortunately I don't have extensive experience with them to write a more detailed review. In fact the other day I logged in to see if they'd forgotten to charge me, since I have this box which just sits there and works without fault, I don't even remember when I got it. That's why I decided to write a good review for them.

Highly recommended, and will definitely be renewing in September

Thanks for your review of you hostus vps so far! I hope you will always be sataisfied with your service.

Alexander

• We have also been with RamNode for about 4 to 5 years, rock solid. We have one VPS, and may order their Shared 100 Gig plan as well. Support has always been on point, fast during weekdays, weekends and even holidays. 100% uptime and they offer DDoS protected IP's as well... basic DDoS I am sure.

Thanked by 2Nick_A Lee
  • Update to the support response, I think this may be record time for RamNode @RamNode - 1st support question response within 3 min, 2nd support question (a new one), 30 seconds! / never in 18 years of hosting have I ever had a response that fast.