Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Software RAID1 + Proxmox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Software RAID1 + Proxmox

BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
edited October 2013 in General

I have been testing a bit with Software RAID1 and Proxmox

Server is running 2x 500GB HDD's

This is the speed i'm getting with SOFTWARE RAID:

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 4.05873 s, 265 MB/s

I have never seen this performance on Software before, anyone else has? xD

Comments

• As if DD can't be faked :P

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

What command are you using to get that result?

• @trewq said:
    What command are you using to get that result?

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

Stole it from here: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/42/test-the-disk-i-o-of-your-vps

• @Jack said:
    Proxmox VE does not support Software RAID (mdraid). That means, its not tested in our labs and its not recommended, but its still used by experience users. If you want to run a supported configuration, go for hardware RAID.

It's not supported, but it does work! :)

• @Jack said:
    Did you install it yourself?

Yep, been working on it for like 2 days, had a lot of problems with booting up at first, but i finally got it working today

• @Jack said:
    What provider is the box from?

Volumedrive

• I've been running proxmox nodes on software raid since Proxmox 2.1. Works perfectly. Involves installing proxmox on one disk, creating a faulty raid with the other disk, moving everything over, adding the first disk and done.

I've seen way more failures and weird issues with hardware raid than with software (linux-md) raid. So that has my preference.

• @joodle said:
    Volumedrive

So you got the athlon x4 from volumedrive? pretty good DD result!

I did software raid on proxmox a while back but can't recall what the DD results were.. I actually installed debian with raid 0 first then install proxmox afterwards, worked pretty good to what I remember.

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited October 2013

@earl said:
    So you got the athlon x4 from volumedrive?

Yeah, but they delivered the server with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40Ghz

• @joodle said:
    Yeah, but they delivered the server with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40Ghz

That's pretty awesome!, passmark wise both CPU is about the same but I think I would prefer the intel over the AMD..

also I think that raid1 gives better performance than raid0, If I recall I don't think I ever passed 200 MB/s with raid0, with 2 drives I think it was about 150-180MB/s on software raid0.

• This is from a proxmox box with 2 intel 520 pro's:

16384+0 records in  
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.8766 s, 572 MB/s

• @earl said:
    That's pretty awesome!, passmark wise both CPU is about the same but I think I would prefer the intel over the AMD..

I also prefer Intel over AMD in Servers, but @ Desktops and Laptops i'm a huge fan of AMD :)

• earlearl Member
    edited October 2013

@Raymii said:
    This is from a proxmox box with 2 intel 520 pro's:

16384+0 records in  
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.8766 s, 572 MB/s

Nice!!

dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -fr iotest 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 0.915839 s, 1.2 GB/s

centos installed on a ramdisk, wonder if I can raid ramdisks?

• @joodle 265 MB/s would be more logical with RAID0 of 2 HDDs. Are you sure it's RAID1?

• @rds100 said:
    joodle 265 MB/s would be more logical with RAID0 of 2 HDDs. Are you sure it's RAID1?

Actually looking at lowendspirit.com which I think is on raid 1, seems to load pretty quick I'm under the impression that raid1 has better performance than raid 0..

• @earl in some other universe where the definitions of raid1 and raid0 are reversed, maybe :)

• If anything I really think that load times improves with raid 1 than no raid..