Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vat rates outside of EU
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vat rates outside of EU

emghemgh Member

Hello,

I'm consulting some small websites with induviduals outside of EU, formally, what's the right way to handle taxes? The Swedish tax department told me that when it comes to digital sales, the clients location is what matters - but I haven't seen any provider here charging vat to non EU clients, is it because these countries have no way of punishing you if you simply don't care if you're within the EU or am I missing something here?

Thank you

Comments

• deluxedeluxe Member
    edited May 2018

So you asked the authoritative source and then you don't believe them and decide to ask random people online? Great plan :D

But to answer your question, what they told you is true.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • emghemgh Member

@deluxe said:
    So you asked the authoritative source and then you don't believe them and decide to ask random people online? Great plan :D

But to answer your question, what they told you is true.

I do trust their information, the reason for my question is simply because I do not see what they say appyling here, and I'm wondering why providers here dosen't charge what they're suposed to charge, but I guess it's true what I stated above and there's simply no legal reason to bother paying the vat.

• i guess they not collect if its outside of EU.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

You collect VAT for clients WITHIN EU under the MOSS scheme (for digital services). You do not care about non-EU clients and do not collect any VAT from them.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Mainly because the VAT per se is mainly a European thing. US has sales tax and it’s incompatible, for example.

• emghemgh Member

@Clouvider said:
    Mainly because the VAT per se is mainly a European thing. US has sales tax and it’s incompatible, for example.

Thank you, out of interest, do you charge vat to anyone outside of EU?

@emgh said:

@Clouvider said:

Not at present for Digital Services.

We still charge VAT for goods, say hard drives, for a server colocated physically in London even if the Customer is non-EU based.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@emgh said:

@Clouvider said:

No you're not supposed to.

And of you're not an EU company, you don't charge VAT to EU customers either, unless you're big enough for the EU to actually do something about it.

randvegeta said: And of you're not an EU company, you don't charge VAT to EU customers either, unless you're big enough for the EU to actually do something about it.

I'd disagree. The penalty tax is expensive and it is levied from the very moment the law changed.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • deluxedeluxe Member

@Clouvider said:

randvegeta said: And of you're not an EU company, you don't charge VAT to EU customers either, unless you're big enough for the EU to actually do something about it.

I'd disagree. The penalty tax is expensive and it is levied from the very moment the law changed.

Why would anyone outside of North Korea (who doesn't have assets there) care about levies NK "imposes"?

@deluxe said:

@Clouvider said:

Why would anyone outside of North Korea (who doesn't have assets there) care about levies NK "imposes"?

I have no idea what you're talking about and how is that related to either of the Koreas.

• deluxedeluxe Member
    edited May 2018

@Clouvider said:

@deluxe said:

@Clouvider said:

I have no idea what you're talking about and how is that related to either of the Koreas.

What if you s/North Korea/EU & s/NK/EU? Can't be that hard.

deluxe said: What if you s/North Korea/EU & s/NK/EU?

Oh, I don't know, maybe someone who doesn't want to be surprised at the border 10 years later at any EU affiliated country ;-)?

Enforcement is done via the local tax collection systems. To start the investigation you just need a tax inspection at one of your EU Customers who put a payment to you in their books.

What provider do you represent again?

• deluxedeluxe Member

@Clouvider said:

deluxe said: What if you s/North Korea/EU & s/NK/EU?

Oh, I don't know, maybe someone who doesn't want to be surprised at the border 10 years later at any EU affiliated country ;-)?

Must be hard fearing your shadow over literally nothing.

Enforcement is done via the local tax collection systems. To start the investigation you just need a tax inspection at one of your EU Customers who put a payment to you in their books.

Not sure what you mean here. If you're trying to say that the tax collector in the UK will send paperwork to the IRS to collect UK vat, that's patently untrue.

What provider do you represent again?

The provider of tungsten rods of truth. And you?

Ok, waste of time then.

• emghemgh Member

Without taking sides, this is a very interesting discussion. Do you care about laws where you're not required by the country that you're based in to follow? I guess there's many aspects of this and lots of different cas

• deluxedeluxe Member

@Clouvider said:
    Ok, waste of time then.

I don't believe it's healthy to have that kind of view about yourself. Then again, who am I to judge?

• deluxedeluxe Member

@emgh said:
    Without taking sides, this is a very interesting discussion. Do you care about laws where you're not required by the country that you're based in to follow? I guess there's many aspects of this and lots of different cas

I guess it depends on how massive the ignorance of each person is. I mean, one isn't responsible about genetics but one can - in our age and time - actually become educated. Some could end up fearing they'll get thrown at a work camp. It's their right, I fully support it.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@deluxe said:

@emgh said:

I guess it depends on how massive the ignorance of each person is. I mean, one isn't responsible about genetics but one can - in our age and time - actually become educated. Some could end up fearing they'll get thrown at a work camp. It's their right, I fully support it.

wat

Thanked by 2Clouvider Vinnyletje
  • deluxedeluxe Member

@FHR said:

@deluxe said:

@emgh said:

wat

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

• edited May 2018

VAT is charged to EU residents based on their country. Unless they are a business with a VAT number in which case they are exempt. I suspect there is lots of abuse and fraud. Pretty easy for someone to give any VAT number. The only checks done are usually just verify it's a real VAT number from the right country and associated with the business name on the account.

There are also lots of people non-compliant who do not charge VAT. If you're a little guy you might be able to get away with that for awhile.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@deluxe

Thanks for your first post in this thread. It was helpful.

As for the rest and particularly wrt @Clouvider and some others it should be quite obvious that they are right and you are wrong.

Maybe one important reason is that he looked from a professional perspective while you looked from a personal perspective. Looking with the eyes of a business one simply wants to get things done and to be on the safe side, no matter whether some rules seems to be good or stupid. As private persons however we often tend to have a different viewpoint.

Thanked by 1Clouvider