Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

QuickWeb terminating VPS for calling them incompetent
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

QuickWeb terminating VPS for calling them incompetent

marrcomarrco Member
edited February 2012 in General

QW just terminated my VPS a few minutes after i called them incompetents in managing spam reports.

check this: http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/quickweb-4-99m-openvz-384mb-ram-in-phoenix-los-angeles-germany

facts: I received a few spam messages from a customer of theirs. Reported in the correct way (that's part of my $dayjob) Roel did never receive the report because he uses a google-managed mailbox to receive spam complaints and when i pointed out that not the right way to manage abuse complaints he just terminated my VPS.

i'm surprised a about that. Is quickweb know to be a a safe harbor for spammers ?

Comments

• try submit ticket via their website!

• What were the exact words you used to tell him that this is not the right way to manage abuse complaints?

• marrcomarrco Member
    edited February 2012

@Shadow Why should I ?

I prefer escalating this to NANAE. If that's the way QuickWeb deal with spam reports that's the correct way to handle the problem.

• @rds100 you can read the thread there. And both spam reports were neutral, exact wording was: "@quickweb: spam from your customers" and "@quickweb: more spam from your customers" with full headers report and copy of the spam message.

But due to his incompetence he let the spammer keep his spamming job not receiving the report. And when i wrote this in LEB he terminated my VPS.

That's the way QuickWeb deals with professional spam reports. I hope Roel will come here and public explain what he did and why he did it.

• hmmm, yes, I got numerous emails this morning and was silently reading the argument on LEB but I am shaken by the sudden termination of someone who reported SPAM. I think you earlier mentioned on LEB about being suspended but is it fully terminated now?

Waiting for @Quickweb's reply and their end of the story

• Speaking of Spam getting though, Do providers check their IP's against http://www.stopforumspam.com/ Things like that would help stop people abusing the service

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @Asim as Roel said, (after i over reacted) they re-enabled my VPS. Now i finally heard their part of the story.

About the 'terminated' he's correct, my VPS was just 'just' suspended, wrong wording here, but not a big difference. When a vps is powered off your websites are all offline. You pick your backup and move, not start fighting nor saying i'm sorry sir. I'm quite sure i did nothing wrong.
    http://imgur.com/I73Gs

about suspending the 'wrong ip address' i quote my message on leb.

someone called R Gerona and signing his mail as Roel, after reading my spam report asked “80.83.xxx.xxx is this your VPS with us?” and since it was evident he was not able to read email headers my answer was:

Yes, 80.83.xx.xxx is my vps with you,

This is the spammer you should deal with 199.195.xx.xx

The message also read

As you can see the 2 messages originate from a quickweb vps with ip 199.195.xxx.xx and that is the spammer address

but i kept pointing to the fact they had a misconfiguration

About my first 2 report disappear, I think you have a faulty config. It’s definitely not good antispam practice to list a google-managed account. You should never filter the abuse mailbox. Or you risk being listed for spam support.

So i find it frankly hard to believe that, but maybe both Roel and the night-shift tech can't read email headers, not so surprising since they don't even know google apps has a spam filter feature:

The mail has no filtering like you are claiming

try to dig mx @quickweb.co.nz and you see it's managed by google apps. And (I posted my mta logs) i reported 3 days ago the spam, but since they use a spam filtered mailbox they never received it and didn't like me interrupting their sales thread to show that. Sorry guys i just wanted to help them get rid of a spammer infesting their servers.

Good news i got my VPS back, and i learned a new lesson: in the LEB providers world spam reporting is not always welcome. Next time i receive UCE from a VPS i just blacklist and report that ip space.