Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What hosts with US locations can you recommend for gameservers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What hosts with US locations can you recommend for gameservers?

YmpkerYmpker Member

A friend is looking to host some gameserver (dunno what) in the US. Now I don't really know much about US hosts so I told him Impact Shared Virtual Dedicated but are there any other hosts worth mentioning?

Apparently his EU server occupies just about 3 GB RAM and 10% of a xeon e3. Not posted in requests because I will be just forwarding hosts that may be interesting.

Comments

• emghemgh Member
    edited May 2018

Ask him what game it is, for some servers, get a dedicated core, for some, get an excellent latency.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@emgh said:
    Ask him what game it is, for some servers, get a dedicated core, for some, get an excellent latency.

Asked him. It's an MMORPG created with Unity with approx ~100 players online .

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@Ympker said:

@emgh said:

Asked him. It's an MMORPG created with Unity with approx ~100 players online .

Sadly, I do not have any experience with it, but It'll surely help when doing some research or for others to recommend.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

As for the best US locations for game servers, the big three are -

1. NYC - good for a mix of US and EU players
    2. Chicago - good central spot for all US players (east coast + west coast)
    3. Los Angeles - good for West coast US and Asia players

So all depends on the target playerbase. Decent server providers in all three locations. You'll want to find a host with good DDoS protection since as soon as you ban some kiddie from the server for trolling, or a rival gaming group sees you as competition, you'll start being targeted by DDoS attacks.

InterNAP provides some of the best network blend for gaming. NFOservers is a good gaming-based host, but is on the expensive side. Good budget options are: Vultr/Choopa in NYC, ChicagoVPS in Chicago, and Sharktech in LA.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@MasonR said:
    As for the best US locations for game servers, the big three are -

1. NYC - good for a mix of US and EU players
    2. Chicago - good central spot for all US players (east coast + west coast)
    3. Los Angeles - good for West coast US and Asia players

So all depends on the target playerbase. Decent server providers in all three locations. You'll want to find a host with good DDoS protection since as soon as you ban some kiddie from the server for trolling, or a rival gaming group sees you as competition, you'll start being targeted by DDoS attacks.

InterNAP provides some of the best network blend for gaming. NFOservers is a good gaming-based host, but is on the expensive side. Good budget options are: Vultr/Choopa in NYC, ChicagoVPS in Chicago, and Sharktech in LA.

Cool! Thanks for the help mate :-)

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Many people use OVH BHS for NA game servers for their DDOS protection

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • SvenSven Member

ChicagoVPS in Chicago

Really? They just null route your server when you are a target of a DDoS. Even when its just a couple of Gbs.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Sven said:

ChicagoVPS in Chicago

Really? They just null route your server when you are a target of a DDoS. Even when its just a couple of Gbs.

They used to have a DDoS protected VPS line. Not sure if they still do or not.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

Chicago 100%

• Is there a big difference between dallas and chicago central wise? Ive seen more dallas offers than chicago ones.

• i think LET provider who focus in gameserver is ExtraVM, mention @MikeA

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2018

@andiklive said:
    i think LET provider who focus in gameserver is ExtraVM, mention @MikeA

My Dallas servers are pretty expensive compared to alternatives there. ImpactShared's VPS that he originally suggested at like 50% cheaper so his friend should really use them, I just looked at the plans and it's a great deal.

If it doesn't need to be in the U.S. then my new KVM Game plans would be great since it's a game server.

Thanked by 2andiklive Ympker
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Go get a KS4C in BHS, if it does not need to be central.

Thanked by 1Ympker