EFF benefit auction, aged cryptography related domain
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

EFF benefit auction, aged cryptography related domain

williewillie Member
edited May 13 in Domains

Domain spelled backwards EMIRPIB dot MOC. It refers to the RSA cryptography algorithm which uses a key made from two prime numbers. It was proposed as an alternate name for that algorithm in the late 1990s but never caught on. I registered the domain in 1999. Never got around to doing anything with it but kept renewing it pointlessly anyway. Domain currently registered with Hover/Tucows, can transfer in the usual ways. Expiration is May 30 which allows some time after the auction to organize the transfer.

Auction: winning amount (if greater than zero) should be made as a donation to the Electronic Frontier Foundation, eff.org. I might in principle check verification but if you're a regular, just confirming that you made the donation and PM'ing the transaction number is probably good enough. They can accept Paypal, CC, Bitcoin, etc.

Initial bid: $0 (zero). This domain might well have no takers or just one, so $0 could be the winning bid. Go ahead and bid $0 if you are interested in the domain. (Obviously you will still have to pay the renewal, so don't bid unless you actually want it). The auction (such as it is) is just for the unlikely case that more than one person wants the domain.

Minimum increment: $1.

Auction end: 72 hours.

Have fun!

Thanked by 3pike trewq Clouvider

Comments

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Provider

$30

FlowVPS | Australian KVM VPS | Twitter
    4GB RAM, 30GB NVMe Storage, 500GB Data 1 IPv4, $9.32 AUD/month | Melbourne, AU | Order Now

• williewillie Member

trewq said: $30

Wow!

@willie said:

trewq said: $30

Wow!

All goes to a good cause :)

Thanked by 2pike RickBakkr

4GB RAM, 30GB NVMe Storage, 500GB Data 1 IPv4, $9.32 AUD/month | Melbourne, AU | Order Now

• LunarLunar Member

$35

• emghemgh Member

I'd honestly ask them to record making the donation, anyone could just inspect element and trust me a few will.

• ralphralph Member, Provider

50$

https://uanode.net - affordable virtual/dedicated servers in Ukraine. Accepting crypto.

• williewillie Member

emgh said: I'd honestly ask them to record making the donation, anyone could just inspect element and trust me a few will.

Yeah these amounts are getting high enough that maybe that's an issue. Tell ya what, I'll see if I can get an email contact in the EFF. You can then just flag the donation to the attention of that person and ask them to email me confirming, and I can confirm back with them that they really did get the donation. Thanks ;)

Thanked by 1emgh

$55

• williewillie Member

72 hours is up and @trewq scores! Trewq, PM or email my LET address when you've made the donation and to arrange the transfer. Thanks for supporting this good cause!

• williewillie Member

@Trewq I unlocked the domain a couple days ago and emailed you the auth code, but haven't gotten any registrar notifications so am wondering if there are any issues.

@willie said:
    @Trewq I unlocked the domain a couple days ago and emailed you the auth code, but haven't gotten any registrar notifications so am wondering if there are any issues.

I initiated the transfer when I got the code. I'll send you an email.

Thanked by 1willie

• williewillie Member

Ok, maybe it just takes a while to get through the system. Though when I've done this between tucows and (e.g.) porkbun it's been a bit quicker than this.