Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Upgrade Options for an aging Web Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Upgrade Options for an aging Web Server

I've been hosting my website on a RamNode 1 GB OpenVZ box for the past 4 years. There are now faster and cheaper options, but I've been too lazy/busy to actually move.

I've been using OVH for hosting masternodes, and their 4GB plan has the same same HD space as my current plan with 4x the RAM for less $.

One downside is that the server would be in Canada instead of Atlanta (I live in Florida).
Do you think it makes that much difference?

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Comments

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

For web server? Location doesn't matter much, as long as most of your visitors are on the same continent at least.

• emghemgh Member

For a globally accessed website, NY is really my go to. I'm currently in the same position as you are, and I think you'll be very pleased with the BuyVM NY servers, or in case you need efficient scaling, Digitalocean NY.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

You can also check ImpactVPS :)

Thanked by 1Awmusic12635
  • @FHR said:
    For web server? Location doesn't matter much, as long as most of your visitors are on the same continent at least.

I guess the right way to do it would be to set up an OVH webserver and compare it to the RamNode. But I don't have enough time to muck around with it if it doesn't work out.

@emgh
    I doubt I'll ever use BuyVM (Frantech).
    DO, even though I generally like their VPS, I don't find that they bring enough to justify their prices when compared to OVH.

@Ympker
    ImpactVPS looks like a possible choice for when ZenCash rolls out their SuperNodes, but their lowest plan isn't quite low enough to be worth it for my webserver.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • williewillie Member

Ramnode is still good and they have NVMe KVM plans now that you might check into. OVH has more ram at the same price level for sure, but their 4gb vps has a 100 mbit port speed cap. And if disk space is an issue, Ramnode has HDD plans with far more space than the corresponding OVH SSD plan (though SSD is faster of course).

Regarding BuyVM, I have a 1GB slice which costs about the same as OVH's 2GB VPS-SSD. The BuyVM slice has 2x the SSD space, 10x the port speed, 1.6x the CPU speed, and 0.5x the ram, which in my use case is a favorable trade. Plus it's in the western US which is better for my purposes (obviously not everyone's) and OVH currently doesn't have anything there. Plus, BuyVM actually answers tickets ;). Similar analysis applies to Ramnode.

All in all you have to take everything into account.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@patrokov said:

@FHR said:

I guess the right way to do it would be to set up an OVH webserver and compare it to the RamNode. But I don't have enough time to muck around with it if it doesn't work out.

@emgh
    I doubt I'll ever use BuyVM (Frantech).
    DO, even though I generally like their VPS, I don't find that they bring enough to justify their prices when compared to OVH.

@Ympker
    ImpactVPS looks like a possible choice for when ZenCash rolls out their SuperNodes, but their lowest plan isn't quite low enough to be worth it for my webserver.

As per your tagging me, I agree fully with @willie - they're not really more expensive.

• RizRiz Member

OVH is reliable, and simply works - however, I've had better network consistency & performance with Ramnode, specifically in ATL.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

patrokov said: @Ympker ImpactVPS looks like a possible choice for when ZenCash rolls out their SuperNodes, but their lowest plan isn't quite low enough to be worth it for my webserver.

We do have smaller plans, not everything fits on the main page: https://subnetlabs.com/billing/cart.php?gid=5

Thanked by 1Ympker