Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UPS help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

UPS help

HashTagHashTag Member

I am looking for a UPS to put in my cabinet

I have 2x servers that use 400w each
I have one Cisco Nexus 3048 switch
I have a juniper router as well.

I do not know how much power the switch and router use but I need a UPS system that can work for them and keep them online in case of a power outage.

Comments

• How long do you expect it to run for after the power gets cut?

A UPS isn't really meant to run continuously for extended periods of time, so keep that in mind.

• HashTagHashTag Member

@TriJetScud said:
    How long do you expect it to run for after the power gets cut?

A UPS isn't really meant to run continuously for extended periods of time, so keep that in mind.

Our last outage at the office lasted 1 hour and 30 minutes so something around that time an hour is good for me.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

In that case, you are going to need a generator along with UPS to keep power on while a generator starts.

• HashTagHashTag Member

How long do UPS systems work I was looking on amazon at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016P7HJA/ref=twister_B00VNI39TW?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2018

Since it's an office, it would probably be better and more reliable to get a small UPS that's cheap and get a good generator. A UPS that will be good enough for multiple servers/switches will probably be like 4U and cost a few grand. I don't have experience with it though since I just have a few tiny home UPS, just my opinion.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited May 2018

You need to do the math since we don't know all the details.

Unless you get a giant UPS which would be simply overkill and cost too much, no UPS is gonna last one and half hour.

Also UPS is basically batteries. They don't last long. I mean the batteries will need to be replaced every some years.

Thanked by 1TriJetScud
  • HashTagHashTag Member

Thank you guys.

• OR you can create Frankenstein like this:

Really helps sometimes. Cheaper than generator.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • @HashTag

Invest in a natural gas generator if your area has the appropriate gas lines. Pair it with a couple small of UPS and you should be good.

• jhjh Member

First step is probably to measure the actual power draw - guessing 400W is the PSU rating.

As a guide, we have some APC Back-UPS BX 1400VA's in our office. 1 UPS : 1 PC and 2 monitors. Depending on the spec of the PC, they get roughly 1-2 hours.

A few pointers:
    - It's worth investing in more efficient PSUs if you're going to rely on your own UPS
    - Some cheaper UPSs (including ours) can't cope with very low loads so you may end up needing to feed everything from one UPS
    - UPS capacity isn't determined entirely by the VA rating - some are more efficient than others

• @MarshalChe said:
    OR you can create Frankenstein like this:

And a great way on getting your place burned down. And your insurance company dropping you as a client.

• @TriJetScud said:

@MarshalChe said:

And a great way on getting your place burned down. And your insurance company dropping you as a client.

Who said that they’re going to be able to see that?

• IMO, if power outage occurs frequently (1-2 times a week) and took longer than 15 minutes everytime, then it's better to use backup generator. UPS is designed to provide short-term power when the main input source fails.

• ralphralph Member
    edited May 2018

@TriJetScud said:

@MarshalChe said:

He got a fuse on one of the battery cables, so, generally it should be fine.

• TriJetScud said: And a great way on getting your place burned down.

You obviously don't have any practical experience. Nice try though. :)

• erkinerkin Member

Rather then buying one giant UPS get three or four of medium rated UPSs and match them with computers and network equipments individualy.