Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone here using Divi for WP?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

I remember using this for a client of mine that had WordPress. It was alright but for my personal experience i would rather code it from scratch rather than using one of these drag and drop builders. Never liked any of those.

Oh yes, not a big fan of Wordpress either.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Yes! Been an ET customer for ages. I've used a half-dozen of their themes over the years. Now they seem to be standardizing on Divi.

I have not used Divi itself much but I'll be working with it over the next week so I'll let you know.

There are a few of these super-premium themes out there - Divi, Genesis, etc. I'm not so much interested in the visual drag-drop as all the extensions and base to code off.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@raindog308 said:
    Yes! Been an ET customer for ages. I've used a half-dozen of their themes over the years. Now they seem to be standardizing on Divi.

I have not used Divi itself much but I'll be working with it over the next week so I'll let you know.

There are a few of these super-premium themes out there - Divi, Genesis, etc. I'm not so much interested in the visual drag-drop as all the extensions and base to code off.

I really like their focus on Divi :)

• I use Divi for a few of my clients websites, can't fault it. You can get 20% off quite easily as well.

• nductivnductiv Member

Have used DIVI for a number of client sites. Generally for clients who want to frequently edit or publish changes to the sites regularly. Drag 'n drop seems to help my clients do what they need.

Biggest downside to DIVI is that the WP backend is slow. Lots and lots of javascript to implement their editor and editing drags on the database pretty hard.

Support responds to tickets pretty quickly, but not always the best support staff. Very active peer forum, but again the quality of discussion is not great.

Over the past year, have not had any security issues... but I'm fanatical about updates (InfiniteWP) and securing sites. Wordfence and Sucuri help keeping things under control. Fingers crossed.

Always work with a child theme. Pretty easy to modify and style. Lots of 3rd party plugins specifically for DIVI, but for security reasons I tend to stay away.

I'm sure someone will comment that WP is a clusterf**k, but it's worked for my clients and none have been hacked. I do get a lot of business cleaning up infected WP sites, so I kind of know what to look for.

Overall, clients seem pretty happy... and at the end of the day, that's what counts.

• I was in (one of?) there facebook groups for discussions and developers were always pretty excited (third parties). I haven't used it for any of mine projects but anyday if someone asks for a recommendation of drag-n-drop builder, either DIVI or layerswp is my choice.

I personally like to build themes from underscores. It gives widest choices :D

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • squibssquibs Member
    edited May 2018

I've built probably near 100 sites with Divi now. Here are the reasons I like it:

Compatibility - Divi 2 to 3 was a significant rewrite, yet all my 2 sites upgraded to 3 seamlessly.

No reliance on built-in 3rd party plugins. I've been bitten by this before, where a plugin doesn't work, the theme vendor doesn't support it and the plugin vendor won't support it either.

Continuous enhancements that don't break anything - lately I'm writing a lot less CSS, because I can do more in the options.

Large Divi ecosystem - lots of support, Divi specific plugins, growing list of 3rd party plugins with explicit Divi integration.

Value - I have the lifetime membership. One modest fee for infinite sites and updates forever.

What I don't like about it:

Not as flexible as other builders - not a lot you can do with the header and footer structure without using plugins or overriding the php files.

Lock in - anything built with the Divi builder leaves tag soup if you switch themes.

Thanked by 3nductiv Ympker kkrajk
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

squibs said: Not as flexible as other builders - not a lot you can do with the header and footer structure without using plugins or overriding the php files.

I saw a Beaver Builder demo once...how does it compare?

• How are they compared to avada?

• ZiriusPHZiriusPH Member
    edited May 2018

raindog308 said: I saw a Beaver Builder demo once...how does it compare?

definitely better than BeaverBuilder in terms of UX.

Divi and all these pagebuilds are just for the UX. I'll still stick with my ACF.

Let me know if these pagebuilders have an option to serve the content, section per section, via API call (lmao).

Btw, isn't the upcoming Gutenburg going to start culling these Pagebuilders?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@robohost said:
    How are they compared to avada?

I have Avada from Themeforest and while it was good back when I bought it, it was a license for usage in ONE end product. Divi allows you to use it for any number of websites/projects + lifetime updates + more features (atleast judging from the last time I touched Avada)

• GravelyGravely Member

Just bought into Divi! Very impressed so far

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2018

@Gravely said:
    Just bought into Divi! Very impressed so far

Enjoy :-)

I've found that Divi + Freepik/Flaticon (stock images) indeed speed up the website building process A LOT.

Tagging @Falzo because..Divi :P

• I'm in the elementor camp here. I only started using a builder about a year ago. I looked at divi, elementor and beaver. I came to the conclusion it was personal taste. One of the things I really liked about Elementor is if you stop using it, the code left behind is cleaner than some of the others.

@ZiriusPH Most of the page builders have put out a statement about what Gutenberg means for them, in the main though it is still business as usual for them.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • nductivnductiv Member

@robohost said:
    How are they compared to avada?

I manage one Avada based site. In general, the Divi ecosystem is much, much bigger than Avada's. Divi has lots and lots of 3rd party plugins to fill the gaps where Elegant Themes has not provided a particular function. Divi also comes with several hundred pre-built layouts which can enable quick and dirty site builds which have an attractive look and feel.

My pet peeve about Avada is that their backend editor doesn't work on my iPad Pro (or any tablet AFAIK.) The javascript editor goes crazy with elements jumping all over the screen. On the other hand, the Divi editor works smoothly on my tablet.

My peeve with Divi is that their global elements library feature misses the boat completely because you can't nest modules with selective global attributes within a global row or section.

As @ympker states, the Divi license is good for unlimited installs and is not much more expensive that an Avada single site install.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2019

Soo.. who is still using Divi? If you haven't make sure to check it out. It's super cool!

@squibs said:
    I've built probably near 100 sites with Divi now. Here are the reasons I like it:

Compatibility - Divi 2 to 3 was a significant rewrite, yet all my 2 sites upgraded to 3 seamlessly.

No reliance on built-in 3rd party plugins. I've been bitten by this before, where a plugin doesn't work, the theme vendor doesn't support it and the plugin vendor won't support it either.

Continuous enhancements that don't break anything - lately I'm writing a lot less CSS, because I can do more in the options.

Large Divi ecosystem - lots of support, Divi specific plugins, growing list of 3rd party plugins with explicit Divi integration.

Value - I have the lifetime membership. One modest fee for infinite sites and updates forever.

What I don't like about it:

Not as flexible as other builders - not a lot you can do with the header and footer structure without using plugins or overriding the php files.

Lock in - anything built with the Divi builder leaves tag soup if you switch themes.

Now you have to write even less CSS :disappointed:

Divi just pushed an awesome global styles update :)

• @michaels said:
    I'm in the elementor camp here. I only started using a builder about a year ago. I looked at divi, elementor and beaver. I came to the conclusion it was personal taste. One of the things I really liked about Elementor is if you stop using it, the code left behind is cleaner than some of the others.

@ZiriusPH Most of the page builders have put out a statement about what Gutenberg means for them, in the main though it is still business as usual for them.

That's been my impression as well - Elementor being "the least bad" of the lot.
    Not sure how Divi plays with Gutenberg - and future planned WP changes - my understanding is it will need some re-working (unless that has already been done).

Thanked by 2Ympker coreflux
  • LeeLee Veteran

At its core I like Wordpress, it is secure and useful. The issues come from the mass of shitty plugins that make it insecure. I really only use WP with Divi, at least you know they are focussed on it and constantly updating.

Thanked by 2Ympker MikePT
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@bikegremlin said:

@michaels said:
    I'm in the elementor camp here. I only started using a builder about a year ago. I looked at divi, elementor and beaver. I came to the conclusion it was personal taste. One of the things I really liked about Elementor is if you stop using it, the code left behind is cleaner than some of the others.

That's been my impression as well - Elementor being "the least bad" of the lot.
    Not sure how Divi plays with Gutenberg - and future planned WP changes - my understanding is it will need some re-working (unless that has already been done).

I'd assume most Page Builders will need a rework due to Gutenberg. While Gutenberg is a great improvement to vanilla wp I don't like it's Workflow from what I've seen yet. Maybee too used to Divi :S But I can see where you're coming from :)

• ITLabsITLabs Member

I've used Divi on some projects in the past, but after evaluating Elementor Pro I don't think about going back. Elementor offers a greater amount of content modules and leaves behind a cleaner page when deactivated.

Also, Elementor Pro already allowed global theme customization long before yesterday's Divi announcement. Refs.: https://elementor.com/blog/customize-your-theme/ vs https://www.elegantthemes.com/blog/theme-releases/the-global-defaults-editor

However, I must admit that Divi's lifetime license ($249) is more appealing than Elementor's annual license ($49 - $199).

Thanked by 2Ympker level6
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@ITLabs said:
    I've used Divi on some projects in the past, but after evaluating Elementor Pro I don't think about going back. Elementor offers a greater amount of content modules and leaves behind a cleaner page when deactivated.

Also, Elementor Pro already allowed global theme customization long before yesterday's Divi announcement. Refs.: https://elementor.com/blog/customize-your-theme/ vs https://www.elegantthemes.com/blog/theme-releases/the-global-defaults-editor

However, I must admit that Divi's lifetime license ($249) is more appealing than Elementor's annual license ($49 - $199).

Agree to that extent. I don't mind if Divi is the last one (among the bigger wp builders) to push updates like the Global Style. I'm just always thrilled to see what their next update is gonna be, knowing fully well that I won't have to pay a dime anymore. I've gotten way more than my license's worth back from it over the years :)

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • ITLabsITLabs Member

@Ympker Yeah, you're right. I only hope that Elegant Themes never get as greedy as cPanel regarding the license model.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I like Divi and taught a lot of people how to use it over the past years since not everyone can work with code and some people have a more visual approach to things, and we still use it for small projects when people can't afford a custom solution at our usual rate.

That said I think you should always evaluate if you need to use Wordpress at all since it needs to be constantly maintened and is a prime attack surface on the web because of it's ecosystem of plugins and themes that are not as well maintained as the core software.

The thing I like most about Divi tho is that it is absolutely free if you don't need their Premium Support. 89$ / year might not be a big thing for most people but there are a lot of countries where people can't afford a purchase like that.

https://www.elegantthemes.com/policy/service/

1. Our WordPress themes and plugins are released under the GNU Public License version 2.0.

https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/getting-started/wordpress-licensing-the-gpl/#do-i-need-to-license-my-themes-under-the-gpl

GPL-licensed software is free to use, free to access source code, free to redistribute and free to distribute modified copies.

That means if you have a reliable source to get the latest Divi version from like someone who bought their lifetime package you don't have to pay anything to use it.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@ITLabs said:
    @Ympker Yeah, you're right. I only hope that Elegant Themes never get as greedy as cPanel regarding the license model.

Let's hope for the best. But with them I'm pretty sure they'd honor existing licenses at least. But one never knows. Backup older plugin versions to be able to go back :D

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@EAgency said:
    I like Divi and taught a lot of people how to use it over the past years since not everyone can work with code and some people have a more visual approach to things, and we still use it for small projects when people can't afford a custom solution at our usual rate.

That said I think you should always evaluate if you need to use Wordpress at all since it needs to be constantly maintened and is a prime attack surface on the web because of it's ecosystem of plugins and themes that are not as well maintained as the core software.

The thing I like most about Divi tho is that it is absolutely free if you don't need their Premium Support. 89$ / year might not be a big thing for most people but there are a lot of countries where people can't afford a purchase like that.

https://www.elegantthemes.com/policy/service/

1. Our WordPress themes and plugins are released under the GNU Public License version 2.0.

https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/getting-started/wordpress-licensing-the-gpl/#do-i-need-to-license-my-themes-under-the-gpl

GPL-licensed software is free to use, free to access source code, free to redistribute and free to distribute modified copies.

That means if you have a reliable source to get the latest Divi version from like someone who bought their lifetime package you don't have to pay anything to use it.

Agree. For updates that someone would need to provide you an API key though.. But since one can create unlimited API keys it's never been an issue to give this as an extra to my clients :)

Thanked by 1level6
  • ITLabsITLabs Member

@EAgency afaik WP derivative works (i.e. themes and plugins) must comply with GPL.

Elementor is GPLv3: https://github.com/elementor/elementor/issues/7570

Thanked by 3Ympker Lee EAgency
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

Didn't know Brave's website was created with Divi: https://www.elegantthemes.com/gallery/divi/#customer-showcase

Thanked by 3ITLabs Lee EAgency
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2019

I guess it depends on what you are looking for, afaik Elementor is only going to let you change elements within the pre-designed page structure, whilst Divi is a complete site builder. I may be wrong though, only tried Elementor once.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

Divi has a live demo for the builder now: https://www.elegantthemesdemo.com/?et_fb=1

Also, please don't forget even if you don't feel like using WP, Divi can be used for quickly building static sites too. Grab a theme from their collection, adjust, WP2Static export as static site. Done. WP is removed, site loads fast and is secure and a swift process using Divi Builder.

• level6level6 Member
    edited July 2019

@Lee said:
    I guess it depends on what you are looking for, afaik Elementor is only going to let you change elements within the pre-designed page structure, whilst Divi is a complete site builder. I may be wrong though, only tried Elementor once.

I looked at Divi, Beaver Builder and Elementor 6 months ago and chose Elementor. It's a huge timesaver. You don't need a predesigned, heavy theme. Elementor has the Hello Theme which is lightweight (on my list to test), and Elementor works great with minimal themes like OceanWP, GeneratePress and Astra. I use all three. Also, I avoid using the theme templates, but install on test to pick them apart. I still discourage my customers from touching it.

Thanked by 1ITLabs