Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a 512 MB or greater RAM VPS for about $15 per year
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a 512 MB or greater RAM VPS for about $15 per year

edited May 2018 in Requests

This request is for an upcoming project that I am helping out with. I am making this request since I've been around here longer than the project leader, but I will not be the person managing the VPS or making payments. That being said, I have earmarked some funds for the first year's payment which will be directly paid if the provider accepts cryptocurrencies so that there is no chance of refund; otherwise, the project leader will be making all payments.

The project relies on a web server with a Ruby on Rails backend. 512 MB RAM should be more than enough for the project; if it is not, the VPS will not be refunded or charged back. Typical specs at this price point are fine, including IPv6-only if necessary.

As stated in the title, the budget is $15 per year.

I am tagging the following providers that I have used or trust by their affiliation (LowEndSpirit) and other providers that match my criteria on LowEndStock based on their RAM to price ratio. Certain providers who are not production-ready based on existing LET reviews and threads or who seem inactive have not been tagged.

LowEndSpirit: @AnthonySmith, @DavidGestionDBI, @mikho
512 MB: @Cam, @HiFormance, @Nick
1 GB: ArubaCloud, HiFormance, @RIYAD

Please feel free to request any additional information or to suggest other providers.

Thanks!

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

What locations are you looking for?

• CamCam Member, Patron Provider

NAT-512
    512MB RAM
    10GB Disk Space
    500GB Bandwidth
    1/2 CPU Cores
    1 NAT IPv4 Address w/ 20 Ports
    /80 block IPv6 Address
    1Gbit Port - DE, FIN, BG, PEN
    250Mbps - Canada
    OpenVZ/SolusVM Control Panel
    ​$8/year - Order Now in Pennsylvania
    ​$8/year - Order Now in Germany
    ​$8/year - Order Now in Finland
    ​$8/year - Order Now in Bulgaria
    ​$8/year - Order Now in Canada

NAT-1024
    1024MB RAM
    20GB Disk Space
    1000GB Bandwidth
    1/2 CPU Cores
    1 NAT IPv4 Address w/ 20 Ports
    /80 block IPv6 Address
    1Gbit Port - DE, FIN, BG, PEN
    250Mbps - Canada
    OpenVZ/SolusVM Control Panel
    ​$16/year - Order Now in Pennsylvania
    ​$16/year - Order Now in Germany
    ​$16/year - Order Now in Finland
    ​$16/year - Order Now in Bulgaria
    ​$16/year - Order Now in Canada

• @mikho said:
    What locations are you looking for?

Any locations that you have available around $15 per month or lower with 512 MB RAM or greater would work. (Please list all that you can offer, though, so that I can test looking glasses.) I know that you have 256 MB plans for $7 per year, so maybe something could be worked out if you've got extra capacity on a host server.

@Cam said:
    1/2 CPU Cores

Would this pose a problem for a website that uses Rails? My static pages don't take up much of anything, but this is a more intensive project, and I don't want to be a bad neighbor to anyone else on the node or run into performance issues.

@Cam said:
    1/2 CPU Cores

Would this pose a problem for a website that uses Rails? My static pages don't take up much of anything, but this is a more intensive project, and I don't want to be a bad neighbor to anyone else on the node or run into performance issues.

I would be willing to bump it up if it poses a performance issue.

I don’t usually do 512mb ram vps, only location so far is the storage offer.
    https://clients.mrvm.net/cart.php?a=add&pid=36

I’m willing to test it on the other locations and see how well it performs.
    DE is out of stock so I could probably manage it on every other location.

Check my latest offer thread for looking glass.
    There are currently least neighbours in France and Australia.

• williewillie Member

512MB sounds low for a Rails app that does anything nontrivial, especially if you also have to run mysql in that vps.

@willie said:
    512MB sounds low for a Rails app that does anything nontrivial, especially if you also have to run mysql in that vps.

You can split it up on different servers, even if it’s on the same node.

• williewillie Member

mikho said: You can split it up on different servers, even if it’s on the same node.

Now you're talking about two vps instead of one.

@willie said:

mikho said: You can split it up on different servers, even if it’s on the same node.

Now you're talking about two vps instead of one.

Yes.
    OP never mentioned that this wasn’t an option. :).
    Only that the Rails app needed 512mb RAM.

• @Cam, two more questions:

1. The price is recurring, correct?

2. What is covered by the non technical support option for $2? Will this let us put in a ticket if something is wrong with the host node or its network? I'm not looking for anything managed beyond putting in a ticket with a datacenter in case something there breaks.

Thanks.

@vpsrequest20180508 said:
    @Cam, two more questions:

1. The price is recurring, correct?

2. What is covered by the non technical support option for $2? Will this let us put in a ticket if something is wrong with the host node or its network? I'm not looking for anything managed beyond putting in a ticket with a datacenter in case something there breaks.

Thanks.

Yes, and Yes.

• sleddogsleddog Member

Honestly, if this project is worth anything to you can’t you scrape together more than $15/year?

Why not get a $2-4/month vps, get it running and go from there?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @sleddog said:
    Honestly, if this project is worth anything to you can’t you scrape together more than $15/year?

Why not get a $2-4/month vps, get it running and go from there?

My personal boxes from mikho have been extremely reliable for the price that I've paid for them, and considering that we're making good progress with this but are not close to production, I'd rather start out with something cheap and pretty reliable.

• sleddogsleddog Member

My personal boxes from mikho have been extremely reliable for the price that I've paid for them

Sorry I’m not familiar with the concept of “reliable for the price“.

• williewillie Member

sleddog said: Sorry I’m not familiar with the concept of “reliable for the price“.

It means you could spend a lot more on higher resources, 24/7 monitoring, HA failover etc. and get more reliability by spending the big bucks, but that Mikho's simpler and less expensive offering gave a good cost-benefit tradeoff in the LET style. That's all anyone can hope for around here.

• sleddogsleddog Member

IMO “reliability” is measured largely by network & hardware uptime, and is for the most part independent of price. Leaving aside HA and “big bucks”, a $15/year VM shouldn’t be less “reliable” than a $7/month one.

• @sleddog said:
    IMO “reliability” is measured largely by network & hardware uptime, and is for the most part independent of price. Leaving aside HA and “big bucks”, a $15/year VM shouldn’t be less “reliable” than a $7/month one.

Compare the reliability of something like Google Cloud and a $15/year VPS. You may not see it, but one has built in high availability, protected storage and is multitudes more expensive.

• sleddogsleddog Member

@FlamesRunner said:

@sleddog said:

Compare the reliability of something like Google Cloud and a $15/year VPS. You may not see it, but one has built in high availability, protected storage and is multitudes more expensive.

Yes, that’s why I said “leaving aside HA and big bucks” :)

• @sleddog

Still, when you go cheap, you cut back on hardware reliability, less redundant network, etc.

@sleddog said:

My personal boxes from mikho have been extremely reliable for the price that I've paid for them

Sorry I’m not familiar with the concept of “reliable for the price“.

FR has 100% uptime since it was launched (78 days).
    DE is really close to 100%, had to bring it down for a RAM upgrade and a reboot.
    In my case, you won't get the latest CPU or the fastest NVMe. You will, however, get good uptime and stability.

NO is my most unstable location, mainly because I had hardware issues after it was deployed. I was too eager to get it up and running and didn't test it enough before opening up sales.

For the price, $4 or $7/year, I say you get a damn good deal. It is not a product for everyone since it is NAT (or IPv6 service), with the restrictions that have.

@vpsrequest20180508

Let me know your location of choice and I'll create a special package for you.
    2*256mb package for $14/year.

• @mikho said:
    @vpsrequest20180508

Let me know your location of choice and I'll create a special package for you.
    2*256mb package for $14/year.

Cam has 1 GB for $16 per year, which we will probably be picking up once we've got something ready for production. I love your boxes for my personal use, but with the potential RAM requirements that we need, I'd rather have more. I will let the project leader know of your offer, though.

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2018

Ionswitch has a SSD based, KVM 512MB VPS (1 IP, /64, etc) for $15.00/yr, (https://clients.ionswitch.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=13) out of Seattle, WA.

We've had >99.95% uptime since we started hosting over a year ago, and run redundant all-the-things. Happy to refund if it doesnt fit your needs within a couple days.

• @IonSwitch_Stan said:
    Ionswitch has a SSD based, KVM 512MB VPS (1 IP, /64, etc) for $15.00/yr, (https://clients.ionswitch.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=13) out of Seattle, WA.

We've had >99.95% uptime since we started hosting over a year ago, and run redundant all-the-things. Happy to refund if it doesnt fit your needs within a couple days.

I saw it was $17.5,not $15.

• niknik Member, Host Rep

512MB for a Ruby on Rails backend? Most likely you will run into issues precompiling assets or doing regular stuff with that amount of RAM.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited May 2018

The project relies on a web server with a Ruby on Rails backend. 512 MB RAM should be more than enough for the project; if it is not, the VPS will not be refunded or charged back. Typical specs at this price point are fine, including IPv6-only if necessary.

As stated in the title, the budget is $15 per year.

Here you go $7 per year with 1 GB RAM

RAM: 1024MB DDR3
    CPU: 1 Core
    HDD: 20GB RAID-10 Storage
    Monthly Bandwidth: 1500 GB  with 100Mbps Uplink
    IPv4 Space: 1
    Datacenter Location: Los Angeles, California

https://www.alpharacks.com/myrack/cart.php?a=add&pid=257

• muffinmuffin Member
    edited May 2018

@dev_vps said:

Here you go $7 per year with 1 GB RAM

> RAM: 1024MB DDR3
    > CPU: 1 Core
    > HDD: 20GB RAID-10 Storage
    > Monthly Bandwidth: 1500 GB  with 100Mbps Uplink
    > IPv4 Space: 1
    > Datacenter Location: Los Angeles, California
    > 

I don’t think Alpharacks and reliability comes together

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited May 2018

@muffin said:

>

I don’t think Alpharacks and reliability comes together

What can you expect for $7 per year?

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited May 2018

mod edit: NO!

Me: Sorry. I didn’t know about it

• muffin said: I don’t think Alpharacks and reliability comes together

That's what we're supposed to say on LET, but I've had two AlphaRacks VPS running continually for some years now. Of course that's just personal experience, so may not be relevant.