[Game] Domain name Giveway!
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

[Game] Domain name Giveway!

bohdansbohdans Member
edited May 9 in Domains

I did one of these games a year ago, people seemed to enjoy it so I am going to do it again :)

Prize: 1 x LNL.net domain name, renewal is 2018-07-31.
Conditions: Free push to NameSilo Account, or Authorization Code Provided for transfer

Game: Guess the domain name I am giving away, there are 6760 possible guesses!
The domain is in the format LNL, so for example A1A would be a valid guess, so would D0L.

Rules:
1. Everyone gets 1 guess
2. After 10 other people have guessed, you may guess again
3. If there are no guesses over a 24 hour period, the person with the closest guess wins.
4. Scoring is done by counting how close each letter / number is from the actual answer.
e.g. If the domain was T6B and the guess was U3F the score would be 1+3+4 = 8
5. I will periodically (when I fell like it) tag the person who is closest, and what their score is.
6. For those of you worried about SOE and the domain appearing in a forum, tough luck :P
7. This is not an auction, I have final say, the domain will be given away.
8. If I make a mistake with the score, I am sorry, but its just a game

Comments

• FHRFHR Member, Provider

i0i

SkylonHost | Affordable Semi-Dedicated VPS - Enjoy performance to the fullest extent. | 40% OFF promo

• bohdansbohdans Member
    edited May 9

@FHR, 15

• HammadKhanHammadKhan Member

F5R

• FoxelVoxFoxelVox Member
    edited May 9

L3T

Thanked by 1pike
  • L0L

Founder, IDGAF Group. No Seriously! Subsidiaries: NeedSomeIT? - Tectrix Host - Tectrix Cloud - DYSH Labs. We consult on Anything related to tech!

• armandorgarmandorg Member
    edited May 9

D3F

Also question, if i guess again after 10 other people have guessed. Will my previous guess be counted on the closest to the guess?

• bohdansbohdans Member
    edited May 9

@HammadKhan, 16
    @subhojitdutta, 25
    @armandorg, 16

I will use the closest guess each person made, if no one gets it.

• crpatelcrpatel Member

U1U

• omelasomelas Member
    edited May 9

A9A, but I think it may be faster to make whois requset for entire LNL.net domanes and find one with renewal date of 2018/07/31

• B1Z

• JackHadrillJackHadrill Moderator

J8V

NVMe KVM VPS in Amsterdam, Stockholm and LA ($2.50/1GB RAM/10GB NVMe/month) (AFF LINK)

• PilzbaumPilzbaum Member

C5Q

• g0n

• drakuladrakula Member

J7L

• JackHadrillJackHadrill Moderator

I can almost guarantee someone on here is modelling this as a set of three variables, each with covariance in 3D space to work out how close an estimate is. You lot are geeky like that. I like it. >:-)

NVMe KVM VPS in Amsterdam, Stockholm and LA ($2.50/1GB RAM/10GB NVMe/month) (AFF LINK)

• corbpiecorbpie Member

K3N

grape

• HarzemHarzem Member
    edited May 9

@jackhadrill said:
    I can almost guarantee someone on here is modelling this as a set of three variables, each with covariance in 3D space to work out how close an estimate is. You lot are geeky like that. I like it. >:-)

Already done. I have narrowed it down to 204 possibilities that match the array:

(edit: I had a bug, updating the code right now)

'I0I' => 15,
    'F5R' => 16,
    'L0L' => 25,
    'D3F' => 16,

I just need one or two more input points from the OP.

HarzemDesign and FraudRecord I have these. I have some new pre-made designs. Contact me if you are interested, they are half price.

edited May 9

I worked out the domain name from WHOIS. Will not post it, since this is a guessing game and I don't want to ruin it for everyone. I suggest others follow the same logic.

//edit: I0I is definitely not 15

SkylonHost | Affordable Semi-Dedicated VPS - Enjoy performance to the fullest extent. | 40% OFF promo

• @Harzem said: I have narrowed it down to 204

My quick-and-dirty script gives me 76 combinations that satisfy 2 of the above constraints (and none satisfying 3 as yet based on the input).

Of course I may have a bug :-)

• HarzemHarzem Member
    edited May 9

@nullnothere said:

@Harzem said: I have narrowed it down to 204

My quick-and-dirty script gives me 76 combinations that satisfy 2 of the above constraints (and none satisfying 3 as yet based on the input).

Of course I may have a bug :-)

Nope, I had a bug. Let me update my code and get back to you.

HarzemDesign and FraudRecord I have these. I have some new pre-made designs. Contact me if you are interested, they are half price.

• HarzemHarzem Member
    edited May 9

Is it "A1Y"? It satisfies 'F5R' => 16, 'L0L' => 25, conditions, and that seems to be the only one satisfying these two conditions.

"K0L, K8J, L1L, L7J, M2L, M6J, N3L, N4K, N5J" satisfies 'F5R' => 16, and 'D3F' => 16, but not the other two.

Some closeness numbers given by the OP don't seem to be consistent with others.

• ZenZen Member

i5g

curl -L range.website

• @FHR said: I0I is definitely not 15

I narrowed it down to 13 based on this statement but couldn't yet find any that match the Whois expiration - so something is definitely off.

• Harzem said: Is it "A1Y"?

No. If you narrowed your results down to only this one, you have a bug somewhere.

Like.

• I also ignored LOL = 25 (symmetric to I0I so I assume this also could be wrong) and found 10 possibilties.

• HarzemHarzem Member

@somewhatwindy said:

Harzem said: Is it "A1Y"?

No. If you narrowed your results down to only this one, you have a bug somewhere.

The problem is that I don't trust the input anymore. At least of of these is wrong, so I can't test the code properly:

'I0I' => 15,
    'F5R' => 16,
    'L0L' => 25,
    'D3F' => 16,

• My bet is c1e.

Thanked by 2Radi Radi

Like.

• JohnRoeJohnRoe Member

E4E

Sorry for my bad English

@nullnothere said:

@FHR said: I0I is definitely not 15

I narrowed it down to 13 based on this statement but couldn't yet find any that match the Whois expiration - so something is definitely off.

9 domains match the expiry date.

• HarzemHarzem Member
    edited May 9

OP, please use this PHP function to calculate real distances between two domain names without error. We are suffering here due to wrong calculations!

function calculateDifference($str1, $str2)
    {

if (strlen($str1) != 3 || strlen($str2) != 3)
            throw new Exception("You kiddin' me?");

$array1 = str_split(strtoupper($str1));
        $array2 = str_split(strtoupper($str2));

$diff = 0;
        foreach ($array1 as $k => $v) {
            $diff += abs(ord($array1[$k]) - ord($array2[$k]));
        }
        return $diff;
    }
    print calculateDifference("i0i", "real-domain");

Thanked by 1ehab

• @Harzem said: The problem is that I don't trust the input anymore.

i0i and l0l are "symmetric" and both can't be right because the difference (i~l) is 3 so maximum difference is 6 and can't be 25 - 15 = 10.

If I ignore LOL, I get 73 options and if I ignore I0I, I get 13 options and if I ignore both, I get 10 options.

None of the one's I quickly checked match the exact expiration date posted.

I'm more interested in the process to solve than the actual solution - so not really interested in the domain as such.

• HarzemHarzem Member

nullnothere said: I'm more interested in the process to solve than the actual solution - so not really interested in the domain as such.

Same here, I'm trying to show off my coding more than anything.

I find "a1y" is the only one matching 'F5R' => 16, 'L0L' => 25, how is it on your end when you use just these two inputs?

• My apologies to other OP/contestants if this violates the contest - please don't consider me for winning.

@Harzem said: how is it on your end when you use just these two inputs

If I use F5R and L0L I get the following list: J 9 Z , A 1 Y, B 1 Z.

If I use F5R and D3F I get the following list: K 8 J , M 2 L , L 1 L , N 3 L , J 9 J , N 5 J , N 4 K , M 6 J , K 0 L , L 7 J.

(pasted badly to prevent parsing/searching etc.).

• Harzem said: Same here, I'm trying to show off my coding more than anything.

I find "a1y" is the only one matching 'F5R' => 16, 'L0L' => 25, how is it on your end when you use just these two inputs?

How about going to another direction, such as the expiry date?

Like.

@somewhatwindy said:

Harzem said: Same here, I'm trying to show off my coding more than anything.

How about going to another direction, such as the expiry date?

This is a guessing game.

• HarzemHarzem Member
    edited May 9

edit: this list is very incomplete, I had a bug in my code where I ignore anything with "Z" or "9" in it. I'm keeping the post up for historical reasons.

F5R=16 & L0L=25 :: only result is A1Y

F5R=16 & D3F = 16 :: 9 results, K0L, K8J, L1L, L7J, M2L, M6J, N3L, N4K, N5J

I0I = 15 & F5R = 16 :: 32 results, A5G, A6H, A7I, B5F, B6G, B7H, B8I, C5E, C6F, C7G, C8H, D5D, D6E, D7F, D8G, E5C, E6D, E7E, E8F, F5B, F6C, F7D, F8E, M8L, N7L, O6L, P0Q, P1P, P2O, P3N, P4M, P5L

I0I=15 & L0L=25 :: zero results

I0I=15 & D3F=16 :: 24 results, A0P, B0Q, C0R, D0S, E1S, F2S, G3S, G4R, G5Q, G6P, G7O, G8N, N2A, N8G, O2B, O7G, P2C, P6G, Q2D, Q5G, R2E, R4G, S2F, S3G

I0I, F5R & D3F combined is zero results.

F5R, L0L and D3F combined is again zero results.

I'm guessing at most 2 of the inputs so far is correct, they may also be completely incorrect. I'm waiting for an update from OP.

• FHR said: This is a guessing game.

I find it interesting how different methods give different results, sorry. My one was also a guess, since it's not the only possible domain.

Like.

• HarzemHarzem Member
    edited May 9

@nullnothere said:
    My apologies to other OP/contestants if this violates the contest - please don't consider me for winning.

@Harzem said: how is it on your end when you use just these two inputs

If I use F5R and L0L I get the following list: J 9 Z , A 1 Y, B 1 Z.

If I use F5R and D3F I get the following list: K 8 J , M 2 L , L 1 L , N 3 L , J 9 J , N 5 J , N 4 K , M 6 J , K 0 L , L 7 J.

(pasted badly to prevent parsing/searching etc.).

Hats off to you sir, I used "less than" instead of "less than or equal" in my for loops, so my code completely ignores anything with "Z" or "9" in it. J9Z and B1Z were ignored as such by my code.

J 9 Z , A 1 Y, B 1 Z is my new contender. I win if it's A1Y but if it's one of the other two, you beat me to them!

Actually, it's probably "B 1 Z" as it reads like "biz" and it's somewhat meaningful. And now the expiry date doesn't match, dammit!

• RadiRadi Member, Provider
    edited May 9

Nice, good luck

VikingLayer now offers VPS resource pools. Ask me about them today. :)

• @Harzem said: only result is A1Y

I suspect there's a bug - A1Y and B1Z are "equal" if you pick a first letter AFTER B and a last letter BEFORE Y.

• HarzemHarzem Member
    edited May 9

@nullnothere said:

@Harzem said: only result is A1Y

I suspect there's a bug - A1Y and B1Z are "equal" if you pick a first letter AFTER B and a last letter BEFORE Y.

Check my previous reply, I had a bug. You found more domains that had a match, I could only find a subset of your domains.

• RadiRadi Member, Provider

I am 99.9% sure the winner domain is posted in the thread already.

Thanked by 1FHR

VikingLayer now offers VPS resource pools. Ask me about them today. :)

• @Harzem said: Check my previous reply, I had a bug.

I think we just crossed wires...

Anyway I'm glad we're on the same page now. And yes - I've not had any luck with the few whois searches I did to match the expiry date.

In any case, I'm just happy about the approach to the problem (and that you amongst others confirmed it) and that's all there's to it.

It's funny how sometimes it's these little things every now and then that bring back some sort of primordial geeky excitement that seems to have otherwise been long lost.

• HarzemHarzem Member

@nullnothere said:>
    Anyway I'm glad we're on the same page now.

Yep, I find the exact number of results as you do now, instead of a subset that excludes 2 characters.

When it's all said and done, we should exchange the codes to see how we both handled the question. Our results are the same, but our list is in different order.

For F5R and D3F you find this:

K8J,M2L,L1L,N3L,J9J,N5J,N4K,M6J,K0L,L7J

While I find this:

J9J,K0L,K8J,L1L,L7J,M2L,M6J,N3L,N4K,N5J

Obviously the algorithms are different, yielding in the same result.

@nullnothere said:>
    It's funny how sometimes it's these little things every now and then that bring back some sort of primordial geeky excitement that seems to have otherwise been long lost.

When I see a thread which I can code stuff to respond to, I turn my geek on :)

• @Harzem said: Our results are the same, but our list is in different order.

I'm not "sorting" anything and am using hashes (so order is unpredictable). I could "sort" the hash to get predictability. Of course for something that takes less than 1s to run, I didn't really bother as I was more interested in the method. I didn't even validate if it was LNL etc. since I'm just feeding all generated LNL combinations to the diff calculator like you have. I'm writing it in Perl :-)

• HarzemHarzem Member

@nullnothere said:

@Harzem said: Our results are the same, but our list is in different order.

I'm not "sorting" anything and am using hashes (so order is unpredictable). I could "sort" the hash to get predictability. Of course for something that takes less than 1s to run, I didn't really bother as I was more interested in the method. I didn't even validate if it was LNL etc. since I'm just feeding all generated LNL combinations to the diff calculator like you have. I'm writing it in Perl :-)

I'm just using 3 nested for-loops, AZ , 09, and AZ, making LNL strings and feeding them to the diff calculator. What do you mean by "using hashes"?