Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reasonably priced KVM with 4vCores @3GHz or above (Shared)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reasonably priced KVM with 4vCores @3GHz or above (Shared)

K4Y5K4Y5 Member
edited May 2018 in Requests

Hi,

I am looking for a VPS with at-least 4vCores clocked at 3GHz or above.
The VPS will mostly idle, but it may see load spikes when I use it for occasional development / compiling / testing. There will be Absolutely NO transcoding or crypto mining.

Location - Not a major concern, but I would prefer NL or UK.

Virtualization - KVM

Specs -

• 4vCores clocked @3GHz or above (Shared, obviously)
  • 1GB RAM
  • 512MB SWAP
  • 10-20 GB SSD or NVMe
  • 1 IPv4 address
  • 100 GB/Mo @GBit

I understand that the request is non-standard, and would appreciate whatever offers hosting companies can provide.

Comments

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

SSD Nodes "KVM / X-LARGE", paid yearly

Thanked by 1ferri
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Maybe @AnthonySmith with his UK NVMe plans if he has some additional stock?

• imokimok Member
    edited May 2018

@FHR said:

Not recommended. Worst poor performance I've ever gotten.

@imok said:

@FHR said:

Not recommended. Worst poor performance I've ever gotten.

Really? I have heard good things about them, although I never used them.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Harambe said: Maybe @AnthonySmith with his UK NVMe plans if he has some additional stock?

Thanks, I don't have anything with 4 vcores at 3.4+ though.

Ant.

• seanhoseanho Member

If the CPU load is mostly things like a sporadic distcc compile, and you don't need it super frequently (e.g., a CI runner), you could consider spinning up hourly servers on-demand. Hetzner's hourly servers from template apparently instantiate really fast.

• williewillie Member
    edited May 2018

Hetzner cloud servers are 2.2 ghz I think. But you could use the 8 core version, or multiples of it. The request as written is a bit ambitious since 3.4 ghz basically means an E3, which will have 8 vcores (4 real ones, which is what you actually want) and normally be set up with 32gb of memory. The request gives the impression that you expect to pay for a 1gb plan (1/32nd of the box) and get to use the entire cpu, which isn't that reasonable. Multicore plans tend to be on bigger boxes with slower single threads.

If you need occasional fast hourly CPU there is OVH public cloud at 3.1 ghz. It's on the expensive side though. Really you may be happiest getting a cheap dedi and letting it idle a lot. It's not THAT expensive in the scheme of things, and having a ton of ram and storage and cpu that you can use whenever you want can be very happiness-inducing if you're into that kind of thing.

Is the 3.4 ghz really important?

• ehabehab Member

@GameTownProjects might have something like that in the kitchen.

• williewillie Member
    edited May 2018

The SSD plan referenced there has 4 cores and is a nice offer, but apparently is E5-2660v2 which is 2.2 ghz. Also, it is in Los Angeles.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@seanho @willie Hetzner was the first one that I tried, but the performance is really a hit or a miss. Their CPU is clocked at 2.2GHz and their local NVMe performance is about as unreliable as it gets - From 50-55MB/s to 200MB/s with IOping results often resembling a HDD at times.

I just cut down on dedis that weren't being used to their full potential last month. Figured I'd ask around for something a bit more reliable here instead, and try being frugal once again :P

As for the @3.4GHz requirement, in absence of choices, I could work with slightly lower clock speed - say, 3GHz? Any recommendations for VPS with CPU clocked around those numbers and specs?

I'll try and edit the OP to reflect that.

Cheers.

• williewillie Member
    edited May 2018

K4Y5 said: performance is really a hit or a miss

Yes, that's what a shared system means.

K4Y5 said: 3GHz? Any recommendations

OVH public cloud is well regarded and the cpu resources are dedicated. You pay for it (https://www.ovh.com/world/public-cloud/instances/prices/ , 20.7 cents an hour for the 3.1 ghz 4 core instance which has 15gb of ram) but if it's just for a few hours now and then, it's probably affordable. DO and Vultr have similar offerings now.

I'm quite happy with Hetzner so far. The cpu availability in the 8 core instances has been good. I haven't worried about NVMe speed fluctuations since it's always been adequate. My stuff parallelizes well so I can get more throughput with a 2.2 ghz 8 core than I could with a 3.1 ghz 4 core.

I should cut down on dedis too, but it's great to have one reasonably fast one around that you can throw at a computation whenever you feel like it.

Vouch for OVH Public Cloud

• seanhoseanho Member

@willie said:
    ... having a ton of ram and storage and cpu that you can use whenever you want can be very happiness-inducing if you're into that kind of thing.

Sounds like a motto for LET!

• can't beat a 20EuR dedi. (especially if billed monthly)

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

willie said: Yes, that's what a shared system means.

Not when that translates to a performance degradation in Disk IO by a factor of 20-25, while talking about a pure NVMe based KVM solution with local storage.

@FHR said:
    Vouch for OVH Public Cloud

Based on the positive feedback, I'll have to give OVH public cloud instance a try.

willie said: I should cut down on dedis too, but it's great to have one reasonably fast one around that you can throw at a computation whenever you feel like it.

As for having a fast dedi, I am looking at clouvider to roll out their next batch of promo servers. Having missed the last few offers, I am just waiting for the next one in order to quickly grab a E3v5 - 16GB - NVMe based dedi for occasional personal work load.

• williewillie Member
    edited May 2018

K4Y5 said: waiting for the next one in order to quickly grab a E3v5 - 16GB - NVMe based dedi for occasional personal work load.

I've been happy with HDD dedis for all my computational stuff. Obviously there are data-intensive apps that need more random iops but I've so far been able to do stuff using mostly sequential processing, so hdd works. And the Hetzner auction for fairly fast i3-3770 and E3-1245v2 servers has gotten ridiculously cheap.

Thanked by 1K4Y5
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@willie said:

K4Y5 said: waiting for the next one in order to quickly grab a E3v5 - 16GB - NVMe based dedi for occasional personal work load.

I've been happy with HDD dedis for all my computational stuff. Obviously there are data-intensive apps that need more random iops but I've so far been able to do stuff using mostly sequential processing, so hdd works. And the Hetzner auction for fairly fast i3-3770 and E3-1245v2 servers has gotten ridiculously cheap.

What!? I thought the shoeminers got 'em all, and then got the prices jacked up a fair bit.
    I'll check them out right now.

• williewillie Member

K4Y5 said: I thought the shoeminers got 'em all, and then got the prices jacked up a fair bit.

That lasted a month or two and then the difficulty got too high so all those cpus were released. That's why they're so cheap now. I've had a 32gb i7-3770 for 28.57 euro/m for 2+ years and I could get another one now for 21.85, i.e. save about $8/month by cancelling the old one and getting a new one. Or another buck or two by getting a 16gb version since I don't really need the extra ram. I really ought to do that.

If you want an SSD server and don't mind a setup fee, check the EX-41SSD, 34 euro in FI or 40 euro in Germany.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited May 2018

willie said: If you want an SSD server and don't mind a setup fee, check the EX-41SSD, 34 euro in FI or 40 euro in Germany.

I just released one not too long ago. The current prices look lucrative enough to cancel a couple of KS-3 boxes for one of these auctioned HDD based servers :P

Thanks for the heads up @willie!