Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shell scripts for zero-config hosting setup of an arbitrary VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shell scripts for zero-config hosting setup of an arbitrary VPS?

I'm new to VPS's. It's great to see that there are regularly posted deals of for example a 64MB VPS for $2 per year and things like this. Obviously one purchasing such a plan wouldn't be worried much about performance. But I still like it!

So where can I find some shell scripts that are designed to just ssh in and set up certain basic functionality like nginx and git, given just an IP address and login credentials? Such scripts ought to be designed to be deployed on "any" VPS so they should contain some failover rules when package foo or package bar fails to install for whatever reason (even if there's simply no enough RAM).

It wouldn't be too difficult to write my own, but I'm curious what others have written, and how to make write scripts that are very tolerant of all the many system differences that you get in an arbitrary VPS plan.

Is there terminology for this sort of thing? Scripts that are designed to set up the basics for you on any random VPS?

Comments