Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reviews for Kimsufi KS-2A?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reviews for Kimsufi KS-2A?

deer76deer76 Member

Does anybody have a KS-2A? I would like to know how it performs. Right now it's out of supply but I am curious about it.

Comments

• williewillie Member

Eh? It's an old 2-core Atom, it's slow but functional if you don't need much cpu. Is there something else you wanted to know?

• graphicgraphic Member

@willie said:
    Eh? It's an old 2-core Atom, it's slow but functional if you don't need much cpu. Is there something else you wanted to know?

He want to see everything unlimited for under 10$

• deer76deer76 Member

@willie said:

Benchmarks. "slow" is not a measure.

@graphic said:

@willie said:

He want to see everything unlimited for under 10$

I will not ask for moderation of your comments but I invite you to desist if you have nothing constructive to add.

• graphicgraphic Member

It's an Intel Atom n2800 with a cpubenchmark.net score of 628, even a Celeron 450 from 2009 is faster than that Atom.
    It is nice for doing some backups or running a small teamspeak server on it.
    100mbps network and 140-180mb/s hitachi enterprise hdd.

That's it, there's nothing else to say.

Thanked by 1erkin
  • MrPsychoMrPsycho Member
    edited May 2018

deer76 said: Benchmarks. "slow" is not a measure.

There you go: https://dl.mrpsycho.pl/KS2E
    That's Kimsufi. Everything is as described.

Edit: My point is that "benchamrk" isn't a measure either. You have to know what type of operations you want to benchmark (eg. CPU - multipurpose floating point, (de)coding H.264, HVEC etc, encrypting VPN (if so then how many users?), ciphers, maybe Sequential/Random HDD Writes/Reads, Network - if so, then what's the destination?)

Thanked by 1graphic
  • Toshiba HD in mine, got it ~4 years ago

nench.sh v2018.04.14 -- https://git.io/nench.sh

benchmark timestamp: 2018-05-08 11:29:50 UTC

Processor: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N2800 @ 1.86GHz
    CPU cores: 4
    Frequency: 1862.000 MHz
    RAM: 3.8G
    nench.sh: line 156: swapon: command not found
    Swap: -
    Kernel: Linux 3.10.23-xxxx-std-ipv6-64 x86_64

Disks:
    sda 931.5G HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
    10.687 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
    22.039 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
    26.421 seconds

ioping: seek rate
    min/avg/max/mdev = 72.9 us / 4.76 ms / 11.1 ms / 3.29 ms
    ioping: sequential read speed
    generated 2.16 k requests in 5.00 s, 539.5 MiB, 431 iops, 107.9 MiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
    1st run: 88.98 MiB/s
    2nd run: 88.98 MiB/s
    3rd run: 90.03 MiB/s
    average: 89.33 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
    your IPv4: 5.xxxx

Cachefly CDN:         9.17 MiB/s
    Leaseweb (NL):        10.16 MiB/s
    Softlayer DAL (US):   4.48 MiB/s
    Online.net (FR):      10.91 MiB/s
    OVH BHS (CA):         9.79 MiB/s

IPv6 speedtests
    your IPv6: 2001:xxxx

Leaseweb (NL):        11.01 MiB/s
    Softlayer DAL (US):   1.49 MiB/s
    Online.net (FR):      10.98 MiB/s

OVH BHS (CA): 8.54 MiB/s

Thanked by 1deer76
  • williewillie Member

deer76 said: Benchmarks. "slow" is not a measure.

Google. "Benchmarks." is not a smart question.

• imokimok Member

Wow wow what happened there? Now you have to click that button.

• donlidonli Member
    edited May 2018

@deer76 said:
    Does anybody have a KS-2A? I would like to know how it performs. Right now it's out of supply but I am curious about it.

Since it's a dedicated box you get the whole CPU performance. The CPU is an Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86 GHz. You can compare it (and it is very slow) to other CPU's here:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Atom+N2800+@+1.86GHz&id=616

What is your intended use for the server?

• erkinerkin Member

@deer76 said:

You would like to know how it performs doing what task, please?..

• deer76deer76 Member

@erkin said:

@deer76 said:

You would like to know how it performs doing what task, please?..

The I/O sequential read/write speeds and the CPU speeds reported by bench.sh are enough for me.

• hacktekhacktek Member

The performance of that box is going to be awful overall for almost everything. You'd be better off investing $5 more and getting some overstock 8 year old Xeon somewhere else.

Thanked by 1deer76
  • hacktek said: The performance of that box is going to be awful overall for almost everything. You'd be better off investing $5 more and getting some overstock 8 year old Xeon somewhere else.

would appreciate if you could be more specific on that "somewhere else" :D

• hacktekhacktek Member

@ZiriusPH said:

hacktek said: The performance of that box is going to be awful overall for almost everything. You'd be better off investing $5 more and getting some overstock 8 year old Xeon somewhere else.

Nothing specific now but try https://metadedi.pw/

I myself have an old Opteron from Dacentec with 8 TB of storage for $25/month and that's probably 6 times better than the Kimsufi Atom and works great for my needs. Nocix usually has cheap dedis for under $20 (although I had issues with their routing but I'm outside of the US so I dunno if that was more of my issue than theirs).

Thanked by 2ZiriusPH deer76
  • vishvish Member

@deer76 said:

I will not ask for moderation of your comments but I invite you to desist if you have nothing constructive to add.

I applaud your rebuttal kind sir, such eloquence

Thanked by 2deer76 pullangcubo
  • deer76deer76 Member

@hacktek said:
    The performance of that box is going to be awful overall for almost everything. You'd be better off investing $5 more and getting some overstock 8 year old Xeon somewhere else.

Thanks, I was looking for this type of feedback too.

@hacktek said:

@ZiriusPH said:

hacktek said: The performance of that box is going to be awful overall for almost everything. You'd be better off investing $5 more and getting some overstock 8 year old Xeon somewhere else.

Nothing specific now but try https://metadedi.pw/

They have a problem with their SSL certificate :p aside from that, will check their offers anyway

• torrboxtorrbox Member

Is there automatic renewal for kimsufi yet? I hate doing it manually, even if it's every 12 months (and I don't want to pay for 12 months in advance anyway, especially considering there is no discount for it).

• @deer76 - Is there any reason you WANT a KS-2A as opposed to the KS-2E which is only marginally higher than the KS-2A and it does come by every now and then on offer?

The KS-2E has extra 2GB RAM (4GB in total) and a 2TB disk (instead of the 1TB with the KS-2A). Same processor.

As a backup server it is tremendously useful (despite the single disk) and it is excellent value IMHO.

@torrbox said: Is there automatic renewal for kimsufi yet?

Not as far as I know. Email reminders come by (multiple times and well in advance) and I've been pretty OK with it (esp. if you pay a few months at a time).

• williewillie Member

torrbox said: Is there automatic renewal for kimsufi yet?

I wonder how that would work, given that there is no way to cancel a kimsufi other than stopping renewing it.

• saibalsaibal Member

There is also an option for no renewal.

• @willie said: way to cancel a kimsufi other than stopping renewing

Actually there is - I'm not exactly sure how I did it but I recently cancelled one (just prior to the expiry) and I received an email with a link that I dutifully clicked (confirming my cancellation) after which the KS disappeared from the dashboard/dropdown and pretty much was unavailable to me from then on (irrespective of the expiry date being a few days out).

Fortunately I had finished everything I wanted to do with it and had wiped the disk as well.

• deer76deer76 Member

@nullnothere said:
    @deer76 - Is there any reason you WANT a KS-2A as opposed to the KS-2E which is only marginally higher than the KS-2A and it does come by every now and then on offer?

The KS-2E has extra 2GB RAM (4GB in total) and a 2TB disk (instead of the 1TB with the KS-2A). Same processor.

As a backup server it is tremendously useful (despite the single disk) and it is excellent value IMHO.

They both have 4G and same CPU from what I can see. I would not need the extra TB..

• williewillie Member

It's the KS-1 that has 2GB of ram. Per checkservers.ovh they are actually available in GRA right now! Grab one if you want it since they don't show up that often.

I have a KS-2E and it is fine by the way. The cpu is adequate for normal file transfers, logging in and messing with stuff, etc. It's not suitable as a compute server but I don't use it for that. It's just for backup storage.