Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some thoughts as a VPS provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Some thoughts as a VPS provider

alivefoxalivefox Member
edited May 2018 in Providers

dedicated server

CPU more 4cores 2.0Ghz

RAM:32G

SSD :240G ssd*2 raid1

100M or more bandwidth

price Less $60

In another way, you need more 128G RAM and 1T x 2 raid1 or 1T x 4 raid10 NVMes to ensure that each unit can earn more than $100 profit and need more money to pay for server costs and more customers.

Because it is possible to open up to 30 1G RAM 10G SSD KVM VPSs without oversold and guaranteed performance, the price of each VPS is $3, for a total of $90, and a guaranteed profit of $30.
If you want to earn $300, you need 10 dedicate servers and 300 customers.

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Incoming deadpool.

• You need 3 disks minimum for RAID 5.

• @WSCallum said:
    You need 3 disks minimum for RAID 5.

yeap,
    My wrong raid1 more than 2disks .

raid5 more than3disks .

raid10 more than 4disks.

thanks

• @deank said:
    Incoming deadpool.

haha

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Couldn't help myself. Always same pattern of questions when summer is around.

• With RAID 1 you’d only have 240GB space max, take stuff for OS, SWAP, store templates etc your not going to have much left... 5-8GB per VPS max? That’s not much...

Something like this won’t work well.

• alivefoxalivefox Member
    edited May 2018

@WSCallum said:
    With RAID 1 you’d only have 240GB space max, take stuff for OS, SWAP, store templates etc your not going to have much left... 5-8GB per VPS max? That’s not much...

Something like this won’t work well.

yeap,you can put OS templates on a storage server, because of the KVM balloon model, each VPS does not completely occupy hard disk space.
    but as you say VPS won’t work well.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Welcome to why you should try to do colocation whenever possible.

Francisco

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:
    Welcome to why you should try to do colocation whenever possible.

Francisco

In small quantities (less than full racks) colo is actually more expensive than renting from Hetzner, OVH etc. Depends on country though.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@alivefox said:
    yeap,you can put OS templates on a storage server, because of the KVM balloon model, each VPS does not completely occupy hard disk space.

Putting OS templates and ISOs on a separate server can be problematic, even if it's on the same network. Not to mention it'll probably slow down installs. I did it for a while, was a dumb idea. Disk thin provisioning? Another bad idea.

FHR said: In small quantities (less than full racks) colo is actually more expensive than renting from Hetzner, OVH etc. Depends on country though.

You can get 1/4 and 1/2 racks for great prices from most places. Quadranet is $600/month for a half and Fiberhub is a good bit less. You need to rent some IP's and probably some more bandwidth depending on your plans, but still under control.

I've talked to a few hosts that operate in a purely rented model (they don't even own their WHMCS license) and they have a overhead of 90%+. The only months they're really posting any sort of profit is November & December during blackfriday & Christmas sales.

Francisco

@Francisco said:

FHR said: In small quantities (less than full racks) colo is actually more expensive than renting from Hetzner, OVH etc. Depends on country though.

You can get 1/4 and 1/2 racks for great prices from most places. Quadranet is $600/month for a half and Fiberhub is a good bit less. You need to rent some IP's and probably some more bandwidth depending on your plans, but still under control.

I've talked to a few hosts that operate in a purely rented model (they don't even own their WHMCS license) and they have a overhead of 90%+. The only months they're really posting any sort of profit is November & December during blackfriday & Christmas sales.

Francisco

It all depends on the country. What I can get in Czechia:

24U, 1Gbps local IX + 40Mbps transit, 1500W non-redundant power, yearly payments ~ 790USD/month. This excludes IPs.

• SV_NickSV_Nick Member

Start off colocation, your DC if you get friendly with them might find you a quiet rack in the corner if you've multiple U's you rent from them and let you keep all your kit together until you need to grow to Quarter/Half.

FHR said: It all depends on the country. What I can get in Czechia:

24U, 1Gbps local IX + 40Mbps transit, 1500W non-redundant power, yearly payments ~ 790USD/month. This excludes IPs.

And how about to rent 16 dedicated servers?

Francisco

• Start with managed VPS on rented equipment.

Cashflow is king.

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred

@Francisco Is in with how to start a company. :)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Your math is wrong. Assuming your clients are paying you $3 per month your revenue (not profit) is $18.39 per server each month after hardware cost and payment processing fees. This doesn't take into account licenses, business fees, the cost of your domain name, the cost of your website hosting, or anything else involved. If you're making less than $20 per server (before expenses) then get out now and save yourself a lot of stress and headaches. Hell, even if you're making $30 per server each month then get out while you can because you're going to hate your life in a few months.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ

@Francisco said:

FHR said: It all depends on the country. What I can get in Czechia:

And how about to rent 16 dedicated servers?

Francisco

Locally? Around 140€/month per server (E3, 64GB, couple SSDs) + IPs. However, you can always rent servers from foreign providers, i.e. Hetzner Falkenstein (which is just ~5ms away from Prague), for around one half.
    So let's say ~1300USD/month excluding IPs, with much better connectivity and DDOS protection.

• wavecomaswavecomas Member, Host Rep

Most important if you intent to provide even small quality.
    You will need remote management for your dedi.
    Hpe,dell and ibm are operational in most time. Supermicro crashes with server really often. Most other just crash any ranom day.

• hzrhzr Member

E3s support 64 GB?

edited May 2018

@hzr said:
    E3s support 64 GB?

Yep, since v5