Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Placing orders with a VPN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Placing orders with a VPN

jasdamjasdam Member
edited May 2018 in Requests

Do EU VPS providers allow orders that are placed with a VPN ?
I do not see anything specific mentioned in the terms of KMS-Hosting.com, linevast.de, myvirtualsever.com or deinserverhost.de or extravm and others

Edit: I have edited the post to include EU and not only Germany (as was originally mentioned) for a wider scope.

Comments

• FennecFoxFennecFox Member
    edited May 2018

I've been flagged by Maxmind for using a VPN previously, probably best that you don't so you aren't asked for any identification / having to explain what's happened. But I wouldn't know if they use it or a similar system it's less about them allowing it and more if their fraud prevention picks it up.

• donlidonli Member

Even if they don't specifically prohibit it they may just reject any orders they think were placed through a VPN. Only one way really to find out for sure.

• jasdamjasdam Member

@FennecFox agreed, but most of them have Bitcoin as a payment option (as I see in the cart), and if the point of Maxmind is to reduce card/payment fraud, then signing up and paying with bitcoin will have no underlying payment fraud risks.

• donlidonli Member

@jasdam said:
    @FennecFox agreed, but most of them have Bitcoin as a payment option (as I see in the cart), and if the point of Maxmind is to reduce card/payment fraud, then signing up and paying with bitcoin will have no underlying payment fraud risks.

I think that the prime reason providers are willing to accept Bitcoin is the elimination of
    chargeback risk - it puts the providers in control.

• mkshmksh Member

Signing up using a VPN is fine in germany but law requires you to pay by bratwurst.

Thanked by 1quick
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited May 2018

You can always try and tell (whine at) us afterwards.

We will be here.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • pikepike Veteran

I used a VPN to register at hetzner. They require to send your ID anyway so I guess that's the reason for them to not care about the IP one used to order.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@pike said:
    I used a VPN to register at hetzner. They require to send your ID anyway so I guess that's the reason for them to not care about the IP one used to order.

They did not require an ID from me.

Thanked by 1jasdam
  • I know BuyVM in their TOS explicitly states that you must order from a residential IP address without TOR or any VPN's enabled.

• jasdamjasdam Member

ExtraVM's terms doesn't say anything about vpn or proxy but under Account Privacy they do state:

We do not require accurate identifying information (address, name, phone number)

• AlyssaDAlyssaD Member

bad idea. no use vpn to order. turn off vpn while order. order go good. turn vpn back on. guide to success this is.

Thanked by 2Harambe Aidan
  • SV_NickSV_Nick Member
    edited May 2018

We don't mind at ServerViking as long as you're not committing Fraud! Or using our services for bad things :(

I'd be the worst to complain considering all my traffic in my house goes out to a VPN.

Even seen customers ordering additional servers using an IP Address from our range.

Thanked by 1jasdam
  • jasdamjasdam Member

@SV_Nick said:
    We don't mind at ServerViking as long as you're not committing Fraud! Or using our services for bad things :(

I'd be the worst to complain considering all my traffic in my house goes out to a VPN.

Even seen customers ordering additional servers using an IP Address from our range.

So, if payment fraud/abuse/scam is taken out, a VPN should not be an issue. More so, when Bitcoin payments are involved, effects of chargeback goes out of the picture.

• hzrhzr Member

I don't care if you order with a VPN as long as the end result is you can be easily identified in case of abuse.

• SV_NickSV_Nick Member
    edited May 2018

@jasdam said:

@SV_Nick said:

So, if payment fraud/abuse/scam is taken out, a VPN should not be an issue. More so, when Bitcoin payments are involved, effects of chargeback goes out of the picture.

We don't do bitcoin or any crypto-currency, if it's Fraud then we have no issue with refunding the person it was stolen from.

If you abuse our service your VM simply gets suspended.

I'd like to hope everyone is using their correct names and if we suspect you're not and suspect you're about to do bad things then we will ask for some proof of ID. But in court it has already been chucked about that an IP isn't something that can identify someone.

• sibapersibaper Member

I use VPN server on office and didnt have problem -

• mikecmikec Member

All our orders from VPN will be flagged by FraudLabs Pro with high fraud score. I guess it is right. Anonymity and fraud risk are highly related.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Just don't do it.