Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

unzoner raspberry pi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

unzoner raspberry pi

CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep
edited May 2018 in Help

Anyone had experience with this for netflix etc...

unzoner.com

Comments

• LeviLevi Member

Illegal.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@LTniger said:
    Illegal.

Since when is using a VPN ilegal?

• lemonlemon Member
    edited May 2018

@Neoon said:

@LTniger said:
    Illegal.

Since when is using a VPN ilegal?

= VPN is illegal because it's forbidden.

Thanked by 1brueggus
  • mayersmayers Member
    edited May 2018

@LTniger said:
    Illegal.

no

@davenz said:
    Anyone had experience with this for netflix etc...

unzoner.com

no experience, tried a couple of other solutions. not very reliable some work arounds work 2 weeks, other 3 hours...

• LeviLevi Member

Hm, so to use vpn in order to bypas netflix geo blockade is perfectly legit?

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@LTniger said:

It's against Netflix's ToS, but it's not illegal.

Thanked by 1drizbo
  • CdoeCdoe Member

@FHR said:

Depends where you live.

Thanked by 2FHR Aidan
  • I see.

Thanked by 1mksh
  • mkshmksh Member

@Janevski said:
    I see.

To easy.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Cdoe said:

@FHR said:

Depends where you live.

Even then, Netflix is not going to sue you, they rather sue unzoner if they could/wanted.

• CdoeCdoe Member

@Neoon said:
    Even then, Netflix is not going to sue you, they rather sue unzoner if they could/wanted.

Yeah, you would just pay a fine (China, Russia, UAE, Saudi Arabia) or get jailed (Iran, NK, UAE) for using VPN, but at least Netflix won't sue you :-P

• LeeLee Veteran

In most countries that I know, it is not illegal (under the copyright act) to bypass the geo blocks put in place by Netflix. It is of course against their terms, they are in place largely as they have not licenced content for viewing in your country, hence it is not available.

One way or other things will change, but not before copyright law does.

• @LTniger said:
    Illegal.

It's not.

@LTniger said:

Oooooh, you went and moved the goal posts, presumedly because you realize the absurdity of your previous statement.

To be honest, I'm not even sure using a VPN violates their terms of service in a way that would cause them to delete your account.

From the Netflix T&C: You may view a movie or TV show through the Netflix service only in geographic locations where we offer our service and have licensed such movie or TV show. The content that may be available to watch will vary by geographic location. Netflix will use technologies to verify your geographic location.

Either way, it's definitely not "ILLEGAL" as LTniger claimed earlier.

• LeviLevi Member

nonissue said: Oooooh, you went and moved the goal posts, presumedly because you realize the absurdity of your previous statement.

From Netflix TOS:

4.6. <...> You also agree not to: circumvent, remove, alter, deactivate, degrade or thwart any of the content protections in the Netflix service; use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Netflix service; <...>We may terminate or restrict your use of our service if you violate these Terms of Use or are engaged in illegal or fraudulent use of the service.

And what I mean by "illegal": it's only from Netflix POW. Simply: if you use VPN to circumvent Netflix geoblockade - they will ban / disconnect you on "illegal" grounds to their TOS.

• LeeLee Veteran

LTniger said: And what I mean by "illegal": it's only from Netflix POW. Simply: if you use VPN to circumvent Netflix geoblockade - they will ban / disconnect you on "illegal" grounds to their TOS.

The illegal part is questionable though. If Netflix has licenced a series for viewing by US residents only and you bypass the geo block to watch it, that is not illegal, only against their terms.

illegal is what the copyright holder calls it and I suppose I agree. The fee I pay to Netflix in the UK goes to cover the cost of whatever I can watch that is available to the UK, if I bypass the block and watch a US TV series then the copyright holder receives no benefit from me watching it.

But ultimately the cost of going after individuals even if Netflix handed over client details of those doing it would be far more costly than simply increasing licence fees and holding Netflix accountable. But then we all suffer from higher subs.

• CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

Interesting discussion, i would never try it as i believe it would fail... netflix is too good