Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server for under $15/month for plex
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server for under $15/month for plex

MrPunchyMrPunchy Member
edited May 2018 in General

i am looking for a plex server/seedbox i will be using cloudbox on this i need at least 1TB of storage and at least a 3,000 passmark and i live in the USA. 1gbps at least 20tb/month

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Kimsufi is really your only option for $15/month. There are some cheap servers in eastern Europe but for streaming content to the U.S. it won't be good.

• @MikeA said:
    Kimsufi is really your only option for $15/month. There are some cheap servers in eastern Europe but for streaming content to the U.S. it won't be good.

i was able to stream off heztner cloud pretty good its just i don't have enough storage space

• FoulFoul Member

$15/month for 20TB/month and 3k passmark.

Goodluck lol.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @Foul said:
    $15/month for 20TB/month and 3k passmark.

Goodluck lol.

https://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/paris-france
    im looking at that currently

• Kimsufi/SYS or OneProvider are your ONLY options.

• Sometimes online.net? There's also delimiter @ $20 USD (but do your research, they have a pretty bad rep around here).

If 100mbs will work, why not one provider in Montreal? https://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/montreal-canada. $19 for 8gb ram / decent peering / 2TB HD / 4k passmark. I'm pretty sure it's a kimsufi resell, but it's not a bad price.

Otherwise I don't think you'll find 1Ggbps / 20TB / 3K passmark / 1TB storage unless it's a good deal.

I do wish kimsufi/sys offered 1GBPS, even if it was an addon. It's really the only downside of their offerings imo.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@nonissue said:
    I do wish kimsufi/sys offered 1GBPS, even if it was an addon. It's really the only downside of their offerings imo.

But you can't even get 1Gbps with their main brand OVH. :!

• I jumped on a E5-1620v2, 16GB RAM and 2x 2TB hard disks SYS flash sale or BF can't remember for $39/mo because it had a discounted first month. I've got 10 people connected at times and mining shoecoins on it without anybody complaining.

• edited May 2018

The closest I can think is https://www.worldstream.nl/en/dedicated/custom/info

• Intel Core i3-2100
    • 4GB DDR3
    • 4TB HDD
    • 50TB Bandwidth
    • 100 Mbps
    • 15 EUR/mo

Not in stock right now though.

• MrPunchyMrPunchy Member
    edited May 2018

@CyberneticTitan said:
    The closest I can think is https://www.worldstream.nl/en/dedicated/custom/info

• Intel Core i3-2100
    • 4GB DDR3
    • 4TB HDD
    • 50TB Bandwidth
    • 100 Mbps
    • 15 EUR/mo

Not in stock right now though.

yeah that is not that bad

• TomTom Member

@MrPunchy said:

@MikeA said:

i was able to stream off heztner cloud pretty good its just i don't have enough storage space

and they didn't tell you to "get fucked" because of your cpu usage? What plan?

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@MikeA said:

@nonissue said:

But you can't even get 1Gbps with their main brand OVH. :!

You can get up to 3Gbps per server with "additional bandwidth" (OVH only)

• LeeLee Veteran

Tom said: and they didn't tell you to "get fucked" because of your cpu usage? What plan?

They will eventually, still in honeymoon period.

Thanked by 1Tom
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

As another option: I'd suggest going with a 1TB seedbox rather than trying to find a dedi in that price range.

I have a 1TB unmetered plan with Ultra Seedbox and have been able to push 60TB+ in a single month. Network slows down a bit during EU prime time but that's not an issue for me, by 6-7pm Pacific things have calmed down. https://www.ultraseedbox.com/

Thanked by 1pullangcubo

@Lee said:

Tom said: and they didn't tell you to "get fucked" because of your cpu usage? What plan?

They will eventually, still in honeymoon period.

Well it's only an issue if you're transcoding, and even transcoding is done in bursts so you're not pegging the CPU constantly.

It'll burst and use all cores for so long, then relax, then continue, then relax. On a higher core count plan I doubt it gets over a constant 30% utilization for the 30-90 minutes you're watching a show/movie.

@MrPunchy said:

Why not get a Storage Box plan and mount it? https://www.hetzner.com/storage-box

• LeeLee Veteran

Harambe said: Well it's only an issue if you're transcoding, and even transcoding is done in bursts so you're not pegging the CPU constantly.

Indeed, but not assuming it's one stream as he has not been clear.

Thanked by 1Harambe

@Lee said:

Harambe said: Well it's only an issue if you're transcoding, and even transcoding is done in bursts so you're not pegging the CPU constantly.

Indeed, but not assuming it's one stream as he has not been clear.

Fair enough. Just wanted to toss in that streaming doesn't always mean CPUs being abused. I've got 6-7+ simultaneous streams off my Plex server most Fri/Sat nights, and sometimes the load is barely hovering around 1.0 due to mostly disk load and about half of the streams being audio transcodes.

It's when the less technical folks, or folks with shitty internet connections, start a stream and then transcode medium bitrate 1080p down to like 480p to watch on their phones. 3-4 of those going and my E3 starts begging for mercy.

Thanked by 2Lee pullangcubo
  • LeeLee Veteran

Harambe said: It's when the less technical folks, or folks with shitty internet connections, start a stream and then transcode medium bitrate 1080p down to like 480p to watch on their phones. 3-4 of those going and my E3 starts begging for mercy.

Agreed, I have an older QNAP at home with a really shitty CPU, even when all the kids are at home plus me (4) using it there is rarely an issue.

• i can't use a seedbox because i need to be root and have ssh for what i plan on doing with it

• @MrPunchy said:
    i can't use a seedbox because i need to be root and have ssh for what i plan on doing with it

lol

• ^ not sure why that's funny.

@Harambe so these seed boxes handle multiple transcodes for 16 our a month? If so, that's not bad.

@nonissue said:

@Harambe so these seed boxes handle multiple transcodes for 16 our a month? If so, that's not bad.

I think the Plex plans will, not sure about the unmetered ones. The box I'm on has E5-2650v4 CPUs. Will be able to get 1 (maybe 2) on the unmetered plans, on the Plex plans you should be able to get 2-3. Should probably pop open a sales ticket and ask them first though.

I don't really transcode video on my Plan, pretty much everything is direct play/stream and sometimes an audio transcode.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo