Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help regarding NAS solution & How does Synology NAS stack up against MyCloud?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need help regarding NAS solution & How does Synology NAS stack up against MyCloud?

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited May 2018 in General

Ive had a MyCloud Personal 3TB for a while but since my ISP switched my internet do a DS Lite (only IPv6 and Shared IPv4 with others) accessing my Wd NAS (via Wd2Go Cloud login) from external network (not home network) does not work anymore because a) mobile networks here are ipv4 only (atleast my provider) and
b) other PCs from external network (e.g. Uni) also cant reach it atm. I even tried DynDns but that wont work as long as I have no own IPv4 because DS Lite is basically only a IPv6 to IPv4 (shared IPv4 with others at that!) tunnel.

The forums of WD are full of complaints regarding this issue and their Relais service (work around network sorta thing) never works for me and if anything shows my cloud folders but then times out..

Ive now heard that Synology NAS supports DS Lite via their "Quick Connect" service which probably is meant to do the same like WDs MyCloud/WD2Go where you have online Cloud access with the difference being that Synology QuickConnect works with DS Lite (saw many posts about this).

So I am now stuck with the decision to either..

1) Colocate the WD Mycloud at Contabo for 20€/mo for 3TB (could probably rather get a vps with them or storage dedi for that price)

2) Use WD mycloud as home cold storage and/or internal network media streaming and get a Synology NAS for external access

3) Switch entirely to Dedicated Servers/Cloud Storage (Google Drive/box/dropbox..)

4) Hack into my WD via SSH and try some things to make it work.. no idea what to do though

Comments

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2018

Solution 5) Get a 1€/month VPS and use it as a 4to6 tunnel.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@FHR said:
    Solution 5) Get a 1€/month VPS and use it as a 4to6 tunnel.

Currently looking at this, too:
    http://www.static-access.net/ds-lite-ipv6/general-information/

• DwayneDwayne Member

Did you ask your provider if they can switch you back to a proper IPv4 address? Mine did after I contacted them and told them about VPN issues.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Dwayne said:
    Did you ask your provider if they can switch you back to a proper IPv4 address? Mine did after I contacted them and told them about VPN issues.

Yes and they dont switch back to Dual Stack anymore. Only business customers.

• Jake4Jake4 Member
    edited May 2018

You could get a VPS in a near city and run a VPN that passes through ports. And to connect it to the VPN use one of those cheap mini routers that has OpenWrt installed and it should work.

• DwayneDwayne Member

@Ympker said:

@Dwayne said:

Unitymedia?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Dwayne said:

@Ympker said:

@Dwayne said:

Unitymedia?

Nah Im with Vodafone. But it seems like the two will be merged soon anyway.

• DwayneDwayne Member

OK, too bad. I stumbled upon a forum posting yesterday which said that UM now provide Dual Stack to private customers upon request and remembered this thread here.

• Put cloudflare in front of it. Easy

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Dwayne said:
    OK, too bad. I stumbled upon a forum posting yesterday which said that UM now provide Dual Stack to private customers upon request and remembered this thread here.

Yeah they do but I think it's an additional 5€/mo iirc