Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Current GPU situation?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Current GPU situation?

williewillie Member

What's the current situation about vps or dedis with reasonably fast GPUs, preferably hourly? I know about:

• Hetzner EX51-GPU 99 eur/mo but low stock and has setup fee
  • Dedispec - has some w/o setup that are a bit more expensive
  • Ikoula, has an E3 with GTX1070, costs a bit more than Hetzner and Dedispec with 1080
  • OVH hourly - several models, available but quite expensive either hourly or monthly, like 3x Hetzner
  • AWS if you have to ask, you can't afford it
  • GCP - like AWS but there's a $300 free credit offer still around, I think
  • Paperspace - some hourly models, $$$

I've gotten interested in Leela Chess Zero (lczero.org) which relies heavily on GPU computation.

Thanked by 1Ikoula

Comments

• From what I'm hearing, it's going to be a rough ride until the mEthereum ASIC's come out after Bitmain's done milking every last cent of it before Ethereum switches over to PoS, which is soon(tm)

Thanked by 2willie leechitat
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

GPU prices are starting to come down. Demand is falling and some retailers are actually selling at RRP now. So it seems likely they will become more available in the not too distant future. Unless mining other cryptos become very profitable....

I suspect when the whole crypto market collapses, the flood of GPUs into the market will create a new class of product. Render farms and the like should become ubiquitous and cheap! If you can wait that is.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

I have a few dedis with rx580/rx480/gtx1060 for rent, $60/mo each. Let me know if you are interested.

• Im doing original leela zero (Go) in amazon aws spot instance. Its pretty cheap.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@randvegeta said:
    GPU prices are starting to come down. Demand is falling and some retailers are actually selling at RRP now. So it seems likely they will become more available in the not too distant future. Unless mining other cryptos become very profitable....

I suspect when the whole crypto market collapses, the flood of GPUs into the market will create a new class of product. Render farms and the like should become ubiquitous and cheap! If you can wait that is.

Not really in the servers though. Expensive to run hence expensive prices despite increased competition from providers drawn to it due to the requirement from Crypto miners.

And... While the demand has fallen slightly, we can still see some significant one here.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Clouvider said: Not really in the servers though. Expensive to run hence expensive prices despite increased competition from providers drawn to it due to the requirement from Crypto miners.

And... While the demand has fallen slightly, we can still see some significant one here.

Sorry, I dont follow. In the UK, retailers are dropping their prices and you can even pick up a GTX 1080 for under MSRP on amazon IN the UK.

They are still expensive, even at RRP, but the point is they are falling, and if/when the crypto markets collapse, it will be even more so.

• williewillie Member

exception0x876 said: I have a few dedis with rx580/rx480/gtx1060 for rent, $60/mo each. Let me know if you are interested.

I might be, especially if you are ok with a short term rental (1 month probably ok, something like 1 week would be preferable, but wouldn't want multiple months). I'm not looking to produce training games since tons of people are already doing that. I'm more interested in running some engine-vs-engine matches. Thanks!

• @randvegeta said:

Most CryptoNight v7 coins are somewhat profitable to mine. Unless the FPGA groups updated CNv7 changes to their firmware, GPU mining is here to stay.

• DedispecDedispec Member, Patron Provider

We're hoping to bring in one lower price point build eventually here and begin increasing our inventory on them in general. We're also working on finalizing our BYO GPU program again that we ran for a few months last year that seemed to be pretty popular...

• williewillie Member

Dedispec said: lower price point build

I wonder how a Ryzen 5 2400G would do at this. Really though, it would be a service for someone to make an ASIC CryptoNight miner and make GPU mining unprofitable again.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2018

willie said: I wonder how a Ryzen 5 2400G would do at this. Really though, it would be a service for someone to make an ASIC CryptoNight miner and make GPU mining unprofitable again.

And then everyone forks again. I'm not sure if you'll see any ASIC's hit the public market, but I'm sure there'll be private ones run by these big shops.

At this point the only coin all the CN ASIC's can mine is Electroneum and maybe one of the 'monero original' hackjobs. Monero has mentioned they plan to tweak the algo every time they do a new hard fork meaning the most profitable CN coin is about to fall through.

Electroneum has 1.2GH/s of power on it (up from 200MH before everyone forked). Price hasn't moved up on it either. The main perk of those ASIC's though is they're all very low power so you're maybe making a profit?

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    Electroneum has 1.2GH/s of power on it (up from 200MH before everyone forked). Price hasn't moved up on it either. The main perk of those ASIC's though is they're all very low power so you're maybe making a profit?

Francisco

To make matters worse, the Electroneum devs have no idea how or what to do on an algorithm related hard fork. The last hard fork they attempted went so badly, that nobody could make transactions on that network.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2018

randvegeta said: Sorry, I dont follow. In the UK, retailers are dropping their prices and you can even pick up a GTX 1080 for under MSRP on amazon IN the UK.

Pretty much sums up most of EU situation, GPUs are plenty - newer ones, like the 1070 Ti and new Asrock AMD cards are available fine, older models not so much (yet) and some series/designs plainly sold out their production capacity/allocation.

GPU mining is still profitable but the margins went down and cut out a lot of medium power pricing miners and the large ones do overall not buy EU retail things (more Asian OEM).

The ETH miner is also fairly... bad, sure it has higher H/W but the GPUs (aside of the mining edition abominations) have some resale/reuse value while this thing ends up like our old-gen bitcoin ASIC... in some cupboard wasting space at trash value. For BTC miners this made sense, for this one... it does not currently.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@willie said:

exception0x876 said: I have a few dedis with rx580/rx480/gtx1060 for rent, $60/mo each. Let me know if you are interested.

I might be, especially if you are ok with a short term rental (1 month probably ok, something like 1 week would be preferable, but wouldn't want multiple months). I'm not looking to produce training games since tons of people are already doing that. I'm more interested in running some engine-vs-engine matches. Thanks!

1 month is ok.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Francisco said: Monero has mentioned they plan to tweak the algo every time

Meet the world of cryptocurrencies - the world, where people try to make stuff as inefficient and energy hungry as possible.
    Why use ASICs with awesome performance per watt ratio, when you can do everything with CPUs!

• teamaccteamacc Member

@FHR said:

Francisco said: Monero has mentioned they plan to tweak the algo every time

Meet the world of cryptocurrencies - the world, where people try to make stuff as inefficient and energy hungry as possible.
    Why use ASICs with awesome performance per watt ratio, when you can do everything with CPUs!

Fine, I'll bite: Why create new single-purpose-only hardware that will be obsolete in a few months for the same tasks that cpus can do?

It's not that the network gets significantly better if more raw hashing power is used.

teamacc said: Fine, I'll bite: Why create new single-purpose-only hardware that will be obsolete in a few months for the same tasks that cpus can do?

If the crypto algorithms weren't changing every 6 months, the hardware would not become obsolete though.

• teamaccteamacc Member

@FHR said:

teamacc said: Fine, I'll bite: Why create new single-purpose-only hardware that will be obsolete in a few months for the same tasks that cpus can do?

If the crypto algorithms weren't changing every 6 months, the hardware would not become obsolete though.

It would, as faster single-purpose hardware would make it inefficient.

@teamacc said:

@FHR said:

Okay, time to do some math. For Bitcoin: Antminer S9 consumes around 1400W and does 13.5TH/s, while i7-4770k consumes around 90W (+ motherboard, RAM etc, so let's say 100W) and does 40MH/s.
    Which means, the hashing power per 1kW is 9.6TH/s and 400MH/s. Which in turn means, that the ASIC is 24 000 times more efficient at hashing.

• teamaccteamacc Member

@FHR said:

@teamacc said:

@FHR said:

Okay, time to do some math. For Bitcoin: Antminer S9 consumes around 1400W and does 13.5TH/s, while i7-4770k consumes around 90W (+ motherboard, RAM etc, so let's say 100W) and does 40MH/s.
    Which means, the hashing power per 1kW is 9.6TH/s and 400MH/s. Which in turn means, that the ASIC is 24 000 times more efficient at hashing.

But if there wasnt any asic in the world, it would not impact the overall bitcoin network. The asics are solving a problem they created themselves.

• williewillie Member

teamacc said: But if there wasnt any asic in the world, it would not impact the overall bitcoin network.

Asics concentrate all the mining power into the hands of the big operators who can afford to make them. Monero's anti-asic measures are to "democratize" mining again. Whether that's good or bad is a matter of perspective. I see it as bad because of how it ties up computing hardware from actually useful tasks (like chess engines, lol) but that's just me.