Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lifetime of Hard Drives
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lifetime of Hard Drives

Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
edited October 2013 in Help

Hi, I have seen many people on different forums telling that when they got their dedicated server they hard drives for XXX hours used, how do you find how much the hard drive of your server has previously been used in terms of hours/days/years etc?

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited October 2013

smarctl -a /dev/sda
    Look at the "Power_On_Hours" line

Thanked by 1Shoaib_A
  • @rds100 said:
    smarctl -a /dev/sda
    Look at the "Power_On_Hours" line

The smartctl "power on hours" reading for many SSD drives is...useless :P

Corsair Force 3

Power_On_Hours          0x0032   000   000   000    Old_age   Always       -       277832844450283
    Corsair Neutron
    Power_On_Hours          0x0032   253   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
    OCZ-VERTEX4
    Power_On_Hours          0x0000   ---   ---   ---    Old_age   Offline      -       385049700
  • @DomainBop for the huge numbers you see above you need a newer version of smartctl that knows how to decode the raw values.

• @rds100 said:
    DomainBop for the huge numbers you see above you need a newer version of smartctl that knows how to decode the raw values.

Stop knowing everything! :p

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@serverian said:
    Stop knowing everything! :p

you can't stop the knowledge :-)

• @serverian nah, the more i learn, the more i discover that i don't know many many things :)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@rds100 said:
    serverian nah, the more i learn, the more i discover that i don't know many many things :)

can't you simply say that you're getting old? :-)

Thanked by 2rds100 Pats
  • @prometeus yeah, i used to hide behind words like "mature" before, but who am i lying to? ;-)