Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Increase PE size without recreation?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Increase PE size without recreation?

Was anyone successful in increasing PE size without actually recreating?

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

If I recall correctly you can only do it if there is no data in it

• :( unfortunately there is.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Tried this, ends bad. in the end I had to take a copy of every LV in the VG then delete the VG recreate with correct PE and dd the LV's back in to the VG.

Took 2 days, not fun.

• That's what I was afraid of. :(

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I assume you have a 4M instead of 32M?

The best and fastest way to do this assuming you have more than 50% free with the power of my hind sight is to schedule down time, shrink your VG, create a new one with the right PE, move the LV's in to the new PE, update solusvm with the new VG name, delete the old VG, expand to the new one.

Shrinking a VG still has a degree of risk so I would suggest taking a full backup first.

The other option is to schedule downtime, take a full FTP backup via solusvm, delete the VG, create the VG with the correct PE size and run the restore script.

None of them are fun and I would suggest you assume you need 6 hours p/TB minimum under optimal conditions.

If it is simply the 4M PE instead of 32M then honestly it is not the end of the world to run with a 4M PE size.

Sounds like the sort of thing Chris from smart server management may be able to give you a bit more advice on and may even take on as a job, iirc he charges around £20 p/hour but the guy REALLY knows what he is doing with this sort of thing.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I assume you have a 4M instead of 32M?

Yes that is correct, I'm going to try your guidelines else will be contacting Chris. Thanks a ton!