Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosting shit locally with a private ip
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosting shit locally with a private ip

emghemgh Member

Hey, I’ve got a private Ip for my home. Normally people get confused and try something like ”Yeah, just port forward” - It’s not a NAT, and It’s not a dynamic IP. It’s a totally private Ip. It can’t be accessiable nor can it be pinged from the outside. I’ve confirmed this with my ISP, they intruduced this system awhile back, before that, everything was working.

I’ve gotten an urge to try some lowend hosting at home, a private static site I’m thinking. However, I need it to be viewable from outside of my apartment. Someone told me that I could reverse proxy through a vpn on a vps, would this work? Any other ways to go about this?

Comments

• Hosting shit is bad.

• CoreyCorey Member

If you can't access anything from the outside world at your house then a reverse proxy isn't going to do you any good. You can setup a tunnel from your house to the VPS and then rproxy it, but then you may as well be hosting it on the VPS

• emghemgh Member

@Corey said:
    If you can't access anything from the outside world at your house then a reverse proxy isn't going to do you any good. You can setup a tunnel from your house to the VPS and then rproxy it, but then you may as well be hosting it on the VPS

I can, the issue being that people can’t access my beutiful websites. Yes, I might as well be, but it wouln’t be as fun. So you think the reverse proxy solution would work?

• emghemgh Member

@dotted said:
    Hosting shit is bad.

Depends on the quality.

• Yes you can connect to a VPN and forward traffic on a certain port over to you...

But it's gonna be a pain in the ass. If it's just a static HTML site you need to serve I'd just put it on a cheap hosting plan and forget all about self hosting.

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2018

I'm assuming you're behind CGNAT? So outbound connections work but inbound connections do not?

You would need to tunnel out to a VPS or VPN server and then either port forward or route addresses back to your home router to host anything.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member
    edited April 2018

@Gamelcamel said:
    Yes you can connect to a VPN and forward traffic on a certain port over to you...

But it's gonna be a pain in the ass. If it's just a static HTML site you need to serve I'd just put it on a cheap hosting plan and forget all about self hosting.

Boring.

@freerangecloud said:
    I'm assuming you're behind CGNAT? So outbound connections work but inbound connections do not?

You would need to tunnel out to a VPS or VPN server and then either port forward or route addresses back to your home router to host anything.

Exactly. This is the case, didn’t know what is was called exactly. Is there any guides or shall I just play around until I manage? Even though I’ve got time I’d rather not start not knowing what to do.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@emgh said:

@Gamelcamel said:
    Yes you can connect to a VPN and forward traffic on a certain port over to you...

Boring.

@freerangecloud said:

Exactly. This is the case, didn’t know what is was called exactly. Is there any guides or shall I just play around until I manage? Even though I’ve got time I’d rather not start not knowing what to do.

You can do it with OpenVPN or SSH. Or, if you have IPv6 available, you could just run an 4to6 proxy.

• ipv6 from a HE tunnel, then 4to6 from cloudflare on top.

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

@emgh said:

@Gamelcamel said:

Boring.

@freerangecloud said:

Don't know about any specific guides, but I'd start off with an OpenVPN server on a VPS, then connect either your home router or a box on your home network to the OpenVPN server. Make sure you enable IP forwarding on the OpenVPN server, and be sure to enable masqurading for any VPN traffic leaving through the WAN.

Then you can either create routes to your home network (lookup iroute under OpenVPN) and forward ports directly to the end device(s) on your LAN, or if you don't want to expose your LAN to the OpenVPN server you could forward the desired ports to the OpenVPN client, and re-forward the ports on the client, but that seems a little too hacky :) You could also just run OpenVPN client on your webserver directly then no need to expose your LAN or dick around with double port forwards.

Finally, you'll need to look into policy-based routing so that traffic responding to packets coming through he OpenVPN tunnel exit through the OpenVPN tunnel.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited April 2018

@teamacc said:
    ipv6 from a HE tunnel, then 4to6 from cloudflare on top.

I think he'll need pingable public ip for he tunnel.

@teamacc said:

6to4 does not work over CG-NAT.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • emghemgh Member

@FHR said:

@emgh said:

@Gamelcamel said:

Boring.

@freerangecloud said:

You can do it with OpenVPN or SSH. Or, if you have IPv6 available, you could just run an 4to6 proxy.
    @teamacc said:
    @Janevski said:

@teamacc said:

I think he'll need pingable public ip for he tunnel.

@FHR said:

@teamacc said:

6to4 does not work over CG-NAT.

Dosen’t matter either way, my isp stated that I’ll get ipv6 in somewhere around 15 years.

@freerangecloud said:

@emgh said:

@Gamelcamel said:

Boring.

@freerangecloud said:

Don't know about any specific guides, but I'd start off with an OpenVPN server on a VPS, then connect either your home router or a box on your home network to the OpenVPN server. Make sure you enable IP forwarding on the OpenVPN server, and be sure to enable masqurading for any VPN traffic leaving through the WAN.

Then you can either create routes to your home network (lookup iroute under OpenVPN) and forward ports directly to the end device(s) on your LAN, or if you don't want to expose your LAN to the OpenVPN server you could forward the desired ports to the OpenVPN client, and re-forward the ports on the client, but that seems a little too hacky :) You could also just run OpenVPN client on your webserver directly then no need to expose your LAN or dick around with double port forwards.

Finally, you'll need to look into policy-based routing so that traffic responding to packets coming through he OpenVPN tunnel exit through the OpenVPN tunnel.

Thank you! Might actually do this tomorrow.

• Does it look like 100.64.x.x?

Usually it comes down to whether they promised to assign you a public IP when you sign the internet service contract. Some providers don't, and you might be given a CGNAT IP.

Still waiting for IPv6 rolling out. (I'm saying you, optimum, look at comcast)

• emghemgh Member
    edited April 2018

@msg7086 said:
    Does it look like 100.64.x.x?

Usually it comes down to whether they promised to assign you a public IP when you sign the internet service contract. Some providers don't, and you might be given a CGNAT IP.

Still waiting for IPv6 rolling out. (I'm saying you, optimum, look at comcast)

Today I’ve got 46.59.x.x, yesterday it was 5.x.x.x and I’ve got ips starting with 8 too. Depends on how I route it at home, with or without routher and with or without switch.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

Since nobody mentioned using tinc as the VPN to the VPS , I'll note that it works well with shifting/dynamic IPs behind various NAT scenarios.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited April 2018

emgh said: Dosen’t matter either way, my isp stated that I’ll get ipv6 in somewhere around 15 years.

off-topic:

When i asked in 2010 T-Mobile told me that i'll get FTTH in about 25 years, 8 years have passed now, there is not much infrastructure, but there are optic offers from other ISPs. Anyhow i stopped caring. To hell with with the fiber and twisted pair and coaxial and whatever bullshit monopoly/oligopoly they're running nowadays. My standards have been adjusted to the lowest of low and i always am expecting worse.

on-topic:

Cyberpunk, this is the desolate future. IPv4 NATs everywhere, full conntrack tables for the general public, ipv6 still just a pipe dream. Public ipv4 only in data centers at high, high, bubble prices. Subnet brokerage and what not... LowEnd offers won't have ipv4s anymore... I've seen the future and it's thousand-yard stare bleak.

Thanked by 1emgh

Janevski said: Cyberpunk, this is the desolate future. IPv4 NATs everywhere, full conntrack tables for the general public, ipv6 still just a pipe dream.

I see a business model here. A service offering static IP tunneled back to your home could become a thing.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @emgh Something like this ?

https://www.lisenet.com/2015/setup-centos-6-linux-server-as-a-router-using-iptables/

I've been using this for connecting to my home server which have all incoming ports closed.