Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Updates to DigitalOcean Bandwidth Policy
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Updates to DigitalOcean Bandwidth Policy

Did anyone get this email from DO or this is old news?

Hello,

To help our customers understand their bandwidth usage, we’ve introduced daily usage tracking in the billing page, and have revised our bandwidth billing policy to increase allowances for accounts with multiple Droplets by pooling transfer limits and lowering the overage price to $0.01/GB. There will be no charges for bandwidth usage prior to June 1. Charges will be applicable to usage starting on June 1, and will appear on your invoice starting in July.

Based on your historical Droplet bandwidth consumption, we estimate that you may see an increase in bandwidth charges. Please visit your billing page for more information or to setup billing alerts.

To help you understand all the details about these changes, and what they mean for your DigitalOcean account, please refer to this FAQ page. You can see the transfer limits for each type of Droplet on the pricing page.

Happy Coding,

DigitalOcean

Looks like from June onwards DO will start billing b/w overages. As per their FAQ:

Q: My account is part of the January 2013 Grandfathering announcement? Are you changing this now?

A: No, all accounts grandfathered will continue to be treated as such.

So I guess pre Feb 2013 accounts are not affected by this and will remain unmetered.

Comments

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited April 2018

I did notice the "Droplet transfer" widget under Billing today, but didn't give it too much importance at first.

No notification email though. Maybe they're just sending the emails to people at risk of suffering higher charges (quote from your email):

Based on your historical Droplet bandwidth consumption, we estimate that you may see an increase in bandwidth charges. Please visit your billing page for more information or to setup billing alerts.

I've got 38.5TB of monthly bandwidth pool to use from, so not really worried about overage.

• Damn it. I created my account 03/2014. Missed it by a year. :(

Thanked by 1mtsbatalha
  • bapbap Member

A bit of confused to understand that "bandwidth pool" calculation on their billing section.. They dont provide per droplet calculation.. argh.... :(

• imokimok Member

HBAndrei said: Maybe they're just sending the emails to people at risk of suffering higher charges

In my case:

Based on your historical usage, we do not expect an impact to your monthly invoice. Please visit your billing page for more information or to setup billing alerts.

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@bap said:
    A bit of confused to understand that "bandwidth pool" calculation on their billing section.. They dont provide per droplet calculation.. argh.... :(

They explain it here:
    https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/digitalocean-bandwidth-billing-faq

imok said: In my case:

>

Ah, that means my email is on its way :D

Thanked by 1bap
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Hello,

I’m Rafael Rosa, Product Manager at DigitalOcean. I want to share a heartfelt thank you for being such a valued, long-time customer. As you may know, we’ve made some updates to our bandwidth pricing plans. With gratitude for your loyalty, we want to assure you that your account has been grandfathered into your current pricing plan and you will not incur any charges for bandwidth usage as long as you comply with the guidelines outlined in section 3.7 of our Terms of Service.

If you are interested in viewing your bandwidth usage, you can now track usage in the billing page where Droplet data transfer is updated daily. And if you’re curious to learn more about the details of the bandwidth update, I encourage you to take a look at this FAQ page.

Mine was a bit better! :D

• @MikePT said: Mine was a bit better! :D

Is your account pre feb 2013 or they awarded you for some other loyality ? :)

• williewillie Member
    edited April 2018

Heh, they have finally caught on ;).

It's amusing that bw excess is 0.01/GB but the bw included with small droplets is 0.005/GB if you count the whole cost of the droplet as bandwidth. Also, droplet-to-droplet transfer using the DO private network is free.

That suggests if you want to push a lot of transfer from a DO server, it's best to spin up a lot of small droplets and use them as a kind of CDN that you feed through the private network. You pay less for the external bw and you also get the extra network ports, processing power, and storage for free ;).

Thanked by 2emgh HowLowCanYouGo
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited April 2018

@dynamo said:

@MikePT said: Mine was a bit better! :D

Is your account pre feb 2013 or they awarded you for some other loyality ? :)

Its really old. Reaaaally old. Dunno when I signed up tho. I'll check it.

Edit:

Member since 01/14/2013

14th of January, 2013.

• @willie said:

That suggests if you want to push a lot of transfer from a DO server, it's best to spin up a lot of small droplets and use them as a kind of CDN that you feed through the private network. You pay less for the external bw and you also get the extra network ports, processing power, and storage for free ;).

Are traffic allowance pooled? Why would you have to do this?

• @msg7086 said: Are traffic allowance pooled? Why would you have to do this?

As per their FAQ:

Why is pooling the data transfer good for developers?

By pooling the data transfer allowance at the account level, we aim to give you the greatest flexibility in how you use it. For example, let's say you have two Droplets with a monthly transfer allowance of 2TB each. At the end of the month, if the first Droplet uses 1TB of data and the second uses 3TB, pooling the allowance means you would have no transfer fees. With a per-Droplet allowance, you would have no transfer fees for the first Droplet, but you would incur a 1TB transfer fee for the second.

• msg7086 said: Are traffic allowance pooled? Why would you have to do this?

Ah, good point. So there's no need to ever pay 0.01/GB. Just spin up more idle droplets to get their allowance at 0.005/GB. Of course that ties up hardware and IP addresses as well. @Jarland has DO really thought this through? Maybe it's time to be like Scaleway and charge a la carte for ipv4 addresses, making it possible to launch ipv6-only droplets.

• @willie said: Ah, good point. So there's no need to ever pay 0.01/GB. Just spin up more idle droplets to get their allowance at 0.005/GB. Of course that ties up hardware and IP addresses as well. @Jarland has DO really thought this through? Maybe it's time to be like Scaleway and charge a la carte for ipv4 addresses, making it possible to launch ipv6-only droplets.

Ya ipv6-only or w/o public ipv4 otherwise this will only result in waste of IP space as people will simply spin up many instances to increase the b/w pool which is more profitable than that overage pricing.

• @dynamo said:

@willie said: Ah, good point. So there's no need to ever pay 0.01/GB. Just spin up more idle droplets to get their allowance at 0.005/GB. Of course that ties up hardware and IP addresses as well. @Jarland has DO really thought this through? Maybe it's time to be like Scaleway and charge a la carte for ipv4 addresses, making it possible to launch ipv6-only droplets.

Ya ipv6-only or w/o public ipv4 otherwise this will only result in waste of IP space as people will simply spin up many instances to increase the b/w pool which is more profitable than that overage pricing.

Or, you know, lower the bw overage pricing to 0.004/gb, so people don't feel the need to start up additional droplets... That's around 120 usd for 100mbit worth of traffic, which should be doable (nearly) anywhere in the world.

Thanked by 2Shazan Aidan
  • @willie said:

Ah, good point. So there's no need to ever pay 0.01/GB. Just spin up more idle droplets to get their allowance at 0.005/GB.

That's why I'd like to see pay-as-you-go fixed rate bandwidth fee at 0.005/GB, less hassle for both the provider and the customer.

Once I had to spin up like 20 linode $10 server for couple days powered off because one of my client had a traffic spike on his tiny linode. That makes a multi-hundred bill $70 at the end of the month, but if they could price their traffic better, I wouldn't have to waste all these stuff.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Yeah, that's the best way for them to incentivise them to:

a) raise prices or
    b) reduce bandwidth on that plan.

• LeeLee Veteran

I like it to be honest, works for me.

• XeiXei Member
    edited May 2018

Honestly the only reason I have so many instances at Digitalocean is because I didn't have to worry about overages. That was literally the only reason I used DO since Vultr has always been superior in every way possible for me so looks like I'll be doing some migrations. I also made my account during the grandfather days but their payment system was fubared so I moved on (processing wasn't working on their end, or some part of their system wasn't). I did point their system processing issues when I came back year (s)? later to retry DO regarding being grandfathered and they just said that's unfortunate or something to that extent. Not that I care just that's the quality of care the only time I reached out. If a new company is having issues with payment and/or processing I just move on and don't bother to ticket. Not complaining that I'm not grandfathered I should have tried to work with them to fix their system years ago but tbh I don't have the time/care especially not for new companies.

• williewillie Member

msg7086 said:

That's why I'd like to see pay-as-you-go fixed rate bandwidth fee at 0.005/GB, less hassle for both the provider and the customer.

You mean zero-based? That's psychologically pretty terrifying: every request to the server means "zomg this is costing me money!" even if the amount is tiny. And 0.005/GB is $5/TB which is pretty steep compared with competing VPS that usually come with an allowance included, priced on the idea that the allowance will usually be underutilized.

I usually won't get anywhere near using a full monthly allowance myself, but worry a little because my usage of hourly servers is to only spin them up when I want to use them for something. So if the allowance is prorated that could be an issue, e.g. a 1TB monthly allowance is just 1.3GB an hour or so. Spinning up a server and transferring a few GB of data could result in an overage charge. Sure it's pennies, but if DO thought people didn't care about pennies they wouldn't have switched from hourly to per-second billing.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@willie said:

msg7086 said:

You mean zero-based? That's psychologically pretty terrifying: every request to the server means "zomg this is costing me money!" even if the amount is tiny. And 0.005/GB is $5/TB which is pretty steep compared with competing VPS that usually come with an allowance included, priced on the idea that the allowance will usually be underutilized.

That's the "cloud" way. Raise the price to something like $0.09/GB and you've got Amazon pricing, kick it up to $0.12 - $0.23/GB and you've got Google pricing.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2018

AWS/Google don't do any inclusive traffic though, do they? And the instance is more expensive.

Bandwidth is not free. Either you put up a 10G HE.net pipe and share it across 20k 1G VPS and give everyone 'unmetered', or you charge a reasonable amount and provide the quality bandwidth that's actually usable.

• Mine seems to be grandfathered still.

No BW charges!! :)

• Sorry for being a little off topic but why would one go with Digital Ocean? Their prices don't seem very low end imo

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Clouvider said: AWS/Google don't do any inclusive traffic though, do they?

1GB free outbound per month, unmetered inbound.

• williewillie Member

caniac22 said:

Sorry for being a little off topic but why would one go with Digital Ocean? Their prices don't seem very low end imo

They start at $5/m which is within LET limits. Their $5 instance is maybe comparable to a $3.50 BuyVM slice in terms of hardware. So you do pay a premium. On the other hand, they are essentially never out of stock, and if you want 100 of them, you can launch them from an API and actually get them. And if you spin them back down a few hours later, you're charged only for the few hours. So they have their attractions.

My main knockaround/convenience VPS is a 1GB BuyVM slice in Las Vegas that I've had for a while, but if I want something temporary then spinning up a DO or Hetzner instance works really well. They have their uses.

• trungkientrungkien Member
    edited June 2018

Anyone with grandfathered DO account (created before January 2013) willing to setup a VPS for me.
    I can pay more than the price DO asking since I need more than 1TB per month for private proxy & VPN

Thanked by 1Shamli
  • corenetcorenet Member
    edited July 2018

i have account grandfather ,,

• FoulFoul Member

corenet said: i have account grandfather and i will sell my account,,,it is unlimited,,you can inbox to me..

Hey man, you know that's not allowed right :) Nice way to necro a thread tho.

@Jarland

These Terms of Service are personal to you, and are not assignable, transferable or sublicensable by you except with our prior written consent.

• i just help for someone ,,if you need..

• TomTom Member

Is grandfathered DO accounts going to become the new OVH.de ~45euro special ?