Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review: Psychz Dedicated Servers - Mumbai
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Review: Psychz Dedicated Servers - Mumbai

Based on this comment, I decided to try out a dedicated server with Psychz (not many providers in India).

TLDR: I have had to file a PayPal case to get my money back, as they haven't yet delivered a working server with IPMI. Timeline of events:

2018-03-15: discussion with pre-sales
2018-03-17: paid for service, promised delivery is last week of month
2018-04-02: pinged sales@ asking for update, was told all done except for OS
2018-04-03: offer to do OS myself, am told it will take a few days (i.e. 6th)
2018-04-06: put note on ticket that if I do not get delivery, will have to cancel
2018-04-07: create ticket asking for refund
2018-04-07: broken/unusable server is delivered, IPMI not available
2018-04-09: pinged sales@ again, first communication from Mumbai team
2018-04-10: decided to wait and see server/IPMI based on good response from US team
2018-04-18: asked for status on ticket, was getting account overdue notices
2018-04-19: demanded refund again on ticket
2018-04-20: again, US team assured that it will be delivered ASAP
2018-04-20: India team declares server delivered but it is exact same server as on 2018-04-07
2018-04-21: again, ask for refund and state that will wait till Monday before PayPal
2018-04-23: ping all 3 addresses and ask for status
2018-04-23: ticket is redirected back to support and the same India team
2018-04-24: lose patience and file PayPal case (not yet escalated to claim)

I have detailed screenshots for each ticket [will upload if asked for]. In Psychz's defense, some teething issues can be expected in a new DC and they were very generous about giving 1/2 months free (which would've wiped their profit margin even if I continued for a year).

Unfortunately, they chose to move to a new panel at the same time they launched in Mumbai and that meant that things remained broken for too long. While the US team is very responsive, they expected but did not check that the Mumbai team was keeping me updated even though I was asking the status on tickets.

I couldn't really evaluate the hardware/network, but I wouldn't recommend anyone to move any serious stuff over there till issues get sorted out. Tagging @PhotonVPS as the only Psychz representative I know of (although associated with their VPS brand).

Comments

• This is quite unexpected from a provider like Psychz ... Sad to hear :(

• PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Host Rep

When we first launched Mumbai, IPMI traffic was backhauled back to Los Angeles which was causing issues at first. It was always working just when it was back hauled back to Los Angeles there will latency issues due to it going back to Los Angeles then Mumbai. We fixed this issue so it won't backhaul back to Los Angeles.

We offer to install the OS for the client, which he declined so we did everything we could to assist.

We don't offer refunds at all, please read our TOS if you have any questions.

• sarahsarah Member

PhotonVPS said: We don't offer refunds at all, please read our TOS if you have any questions.

Huh? Come on, nobody reads TOS. Why wouldn't you refund money if a customer is unhappy with your service regardless of what it says?

I don't know man, here is a customer who took a bet on you. He is not happy with your service. Would you rather hold his money or just give it back to make him feel a little better? It's not like he paid you 1000 bucks or something. In any business, prompt refunds is the right thing to do if the customer is not happy.

• @PhotonVPS: The India team told me something different. First, you didn't get BGP configured from DC for additional IPs and finally a new panel meant that the proxy IP creation per IPMI session was not working at all even after you got it.

Either way, I was not willing to accept a broken server without IPMI. I explicitly said on the 10th that I would want delivery of OS and IPMI together -- not sure where you got the information that I declined OS installation. Cross-check the facts by going through tickets, as blaming the client publicly can bounce back on you otherwise.

Also, if you meant never to give refund ... your VP should've just stated that up-front, instead of saying so after I opened a PayPal case. I guess I'll have to escalate it to a dispute and this is the first time I've had to do it, ever.

Thanked by 1Aluminat
  • letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@ashkulz said:

I have different experience with psychz , try contact to George he good guy i’m sure will get this fix!

• @key900 said:

@ashkulz said:

I have different experience with psychz , try contact to George he good guy i’m sure will get this fix!

Which location?

edited April 2018

@teamacc said:

@key900 said:

@ashkulz said:

Which location?

US location, I know that different location Goerge can handle In an appropriate manner.

• @key900 said:

@teamacc said:

@key900 said:

@ashkulz said:

Which location?

US location, I know that different location Goerge can handle In an appropriate manner.

From OPs story it seems George wasn't involved here, so he couldn't have helped.

Thanked by 1letbox
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2018

PhotonVPS said: We offer to install the OS for the client, which he declined so we did everything we could to assist.

You sold a server with IPMI, the buyer had a reasonable expectation of being able to do a self install and there could reasonably be good reason for wanting to do a self install.

You failed to provide part of the service you advertised, it is your fault, you should refund the user, its basic don't be a dick rules, forget your terms, apply common sense.

I hope next time you buy a car the stereo is broken and the only resolution they offer you is to call you when your driving to play some music for you and no other resolution, no refunds, no returns ... but that would be stupid right?

Just refund him.

• @PhotonVPS said:

We offer to install the OS for the client, which he declined so we did everything we could to assist.

Does the TOS even apply when you don't hold your end of the deal (IPMI part)?

teamacc said: Does the TOS even apply when you don't hold your end of the deal (IPMI part)?

100% no, this is a switch and bait, intentional or not, they offered a suggested work around for the customer, it was rejected, it should have resulted in a refund.

Thanked by 1Janevski

@teamacc said:

@key900 said:

@teamacc said:

@key900 said:

@ashkulz said:

Which location?

From OPs story it seems George wasn't involved here, so he couldn't have helped.

Yep seems so.

• @key900: George was involved, and he was the reason I mentioned the US team as responsive. The final message came from their VP of Operations, so I guess that it represents their official stance.

Thanked by 1letbox
  • ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@PhotonVPS said:

Really? Do you provide an half broken server, you are unable to fix the issue and you also refuse to refund the customer?

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • SamPSamP Member
    edited April 2018

@PhotonVPS said:

It should be explicitly mentioned in your TOS that you wont refund even if the service is not delivered.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • PhotonVPS said: We don't offer refunds at all, please read our TOS if you have any questions.

Our TOS is god. You shall obey!

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@PhotonVPS, just refund it. It'll save you from the negative PR.

• I just read through the tickets OP pm'd to me. I suggest @photonvps does the same.

It reads like when a cheap novel and a bad joke had a love child.

Happy to give @PhotonVPS 24 hours to fully justify selling a product they could not provide and further failed to properly remedy and also keep the money and refuse to refund before taking any action.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2018

Why Psychz has UK presence, servers on UK soil, advertise to UK public yet doesn't charge VAT on their eservices? @PhotonVPS

What's your VAT number in any of the EU countries? What's your MOSS ID?

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1507215716162&uri=CELEX:32013R1042

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/sites/taxation/files/resources/documents/taxation/vat/how_vat_works/telecom/explanatory_notes_2015_en.pdf

Thanked by 1FHR
  • I guess the biggest gift OP has given @photonvps is NOT posting the tickets in here.

• @teamacc said:
    I guess the biggest gift OP has given @photonvps is NOT posting the tickets in here.

I've played the role of support head, and have some sympathy for anyone in a similar position. Google doesn't ever forget, so I'd prefer that remain non-public.

Thanked by 2kkrajk Junkless
  • lionlion Member
    edited April 2018

Adding PhotonVPS to my blacklist, hopefully LET does the same if PhotonVPS doesn't get their ass up and refunds him.

IMO even a refund wouldn't be enough since OP wasted tons of time dealing with their incompetence.

• Wow! Even I was skeptical when Psychz started selling dedicated servers for 50$ in India with 10mbps unmetered! It is 1/2 the cost price even if you have multiple racks in that data center as it is one of the premium ones in India.

• SamPSamP Member
    edited April 2018

Post deleted.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2018

SamP said: Been waiting for the right moment? lol

No, started looking at them now when OP mentioned Mumbai. I figured that's quite far to branch out from the US and noticed they colo in a building next to us (Global Switch).

Not that I'm after them but would love to know the explanation here.

• Just got a mail from PayPal that the case was closed as the seller (Psychz) has issued a full refund.

• edited April 2018

The OP has been refunded -

I'll provide some context to our side of the story.

We had a soft opening for Mumbai , India just like any deployments for any POP we go through various testing for onsite, infrastructure, and finally provisioning experience to ensure everything is smooth. For that we compensate everyone during this soft opening a 50% off from the list price which allows us to ensure bug and any issues are addressed. This is why a special price is given as its a new POP.

The OP contacted us in regards to the IPMI issue although the server functions fine hardware and bandwidth wise IPMI did not function too well due to the fact its isolated on a private network segment this avoids IPMI from getting exploited or broken into. The issue was IPMI traffic have to go through our gateway in LAX our HQ then backhaul back to Mumbai although it functions everywhere in the world this backhaul did not work well due high latency during its transmission. We communicated to the client that IPMI will take time to resolve on a phone call along with email.

Deepak our manager in our India operations communicated to the OP where he stated he can wait a month until things are resolved. Regardless we bumped our development team to fix this under 2 weeks to resolve the back haul issue by adding proxy servers near each POP along with added security needed since we are opening up a new layer into the IPMI network. Deepak stated he called the OP and updated him on the development time line as we grew closer to its fix.

We push our dev team to finish this project on the new proxy project to finish due to OP being upset where he explained his business need. We listened and push our team to finish last Friday unfortunately things did not work during our interface QA where we had to push for the final fix on Tuesday April 24, 2018.

The client contacted us his dissatisfaction and we wanted to earn his business thus we gave him 2 months free along with date adjustments on when IPMI was fixed he was freely able to use the server for his purpose and no billing will start until IPMI was resolved. We offer to fix or install any OS he wish until the IPMI is resolved.

We deployed around ~100 nodes in India already and have not had any issues so far with connectivity, stability, or the need to use IPMI network. Regardless its what we advertise it was our responsibility to deliver we took the financial burden by providing him free months just for his trouble as we understand his time is valuable.

In the end everything just went out of context. We typically do not offer refund in our TOS to avoid abuse from spammers, phishers, and other illegal activity. In this case the amount of work put into the development we just felt that we could do more as there were communication issues some where down the channel. We're investigating internally where the communication broke down as its obvious something went wrong on our end.

We hope the OP have better experience elsewhere.

• @WilliamProfuse: as mentioned in the initial post, I appreciated the offer of free service but did not take it up as my overall experience was not good.

Your VP of Operations (Jimmy) flat out refused a refund, even after I'd kept on delaying escalation to PayPal so long and trying to get things working ... that's where I'd start. I'm in a leadership role as well, and when something escalates to me I try to understand the problem before communicating.

Wish you luck in future deployments at this location. Can a mod please close this thread?

Thanked by 2Clouvider iKeyZ
  • @ashkulz said:
    @WilliamProfuse: as mentioned in the initial post, I appreciated the offer of free service but did not take it up as my overall experience was not good.

Your VP of Operations (Jimmy) flat out refused a refund, even after I'd kept on delaying escalation to PayPal so long and trying to get things working ... that's where I'd start. I'm in a leadership role as well, and when something escalates to me I try to understand the problem before communicating.

Wish you luck in future deployments at this location. Can a mod please close this thread?

We understand the overall experience could have been better with IPMI thus we pushed it behind the scenes. Regardless there was a communication broke down some where either in our US HQ or our India Operations. Either or we take responsibility and wish you the best.

This discussion has been closed.