Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mac server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mac server?

Anyone with Mac servers around? After trying to get OpenGL working on Linux and dealing with the nightmare of broken, deprecated video drivers we're thinking Mac is the way to go as a Unix based platform which should have proper video / OpenGL support.

Comments

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

Had a customer who used this: https://www.macstadium.com/mac-pro/
    They used them for more than an year and were happy. No experience myself.

Thanked by 1tafa2
  • freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

Next month I'll be standing up some gear in a datcenter near San Francisco, I have a spare 2015 mac mini which I could install in that datacenter if that would be of interest to you?

• ts001 said: After trying to get OpenGL working on Linux and dealing with the nightmare of broken, deprecated video drivers we're thinking Mac is the way to go

You really got no idea what you're doing. Well, this is how you pay the price for ignorance XD.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • ts001ts001 Member

@duckeeyuck said:

ts001 said: After trying to get OpenGL working on Linux and dealing with the nightmare of broken, deprecated video drivers we're thinking Mac is the way to go

You really got no idea what you're doing. Well, this is how you pay the price for ignorance XD.

I think I'm the only one to get a headless AMD APU to 3d accelerate on the radeon driver but if it makes you feel better you can think that. I'll be publishing a guide to share my findings with people looking to do the same. Regardless, the AMD HD 8400 seems somewhat underpowered for what we're trying to do. I think we'd like to go for a Class 2 card.

• If you want a future on OSX, port to Metal. OpenGL works but is not Apple-y anymore and thus doomed after few more GPU/driver iterations.

HW wise the only choice is probably a Mac Pro as the Mac Minis have only iGPU (which still likely beats some crappy 8400) or a Mini with a TB3 chassis. Both are offered but not cheap.

Thanked by 1ts001
  • ts001ts001 Member

@William said:
    If you want a future on OSX, port to Metal. OpenGL works but is not Apple-y anymore and thus doomed after few more GPU/driver iterations.

HW wise the only choice is probably a Mac Pro as the Mac Minis have only iGPU (which still likely beats some crappy 8400) or a Mini with a TB3 chassis. Both are offered but not cheap.

But isn't the OpenGL driver used on MacOS the same core Unix driver used on any other Unix distro?

• @freerangecloud said:
    Next month I'll be standing up some gear in a datcenter near San Francisco, I have a spare 2015 mac mini which I could install in that datacenter if that would be of interest to you?

If OP isn't interested I might be interested in buying this.

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

@caniac22 said:

@freerangecloud said:

If OP isn't interested I might be interested in buying this.

Hey, I'll shoot you a PM about this.

• ts001 said: But isn't the OpenGL driver used on MacOS the same core Unix driver used on any other Unix distro?

Similar as to the Mach kernel being BSD.... in a way. My Realtek driver kext is also just some patched BSD drivers.

Thing is this is not really guaranteed from Apple, which controls OSX as package.

• ts001 said: I think I'm the only one to get a headless AMD APU to 3d accelerate on the radeon driver but if it makes you feel better you can think that. I'll be publishing a guide to share my findings with people looking to do the same. Regardless, the AMD HD 8400 seems somewhat underpowered for what we're trying to do. I think we'd like to go for a Class 2 card.

oh mai, a "class 2 card", "3d accelerate on the radeon driver". I've been blown XD

• tafa2tafa2 Member

@duckeeyuck said:

ts001 said: I think I'm the only one to get a headless AMD APU to 3d accelerate on the radeon driver but if it makes you feel better you can think that. I'll be publishing a guide to share my findings with people looking to do the same. Regardless, the AMD HD 8400 seems somewhat underpowered for what we're trying to do. I think we'd like to go for a Class 2 card.

oh mai, a "class 2 card", "3d accelerate on the radeon driver". I've been blown XD

Apologies for going off-topic.

I don't usually respond to posts like yours - and I really should ignore you, but do you really have nothing better to do?
    OP has come on and asked for help, either express your opinion in a constructive manner, help him out or kindly just move along.
    K thanks bye.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • Macincloud.com

• The best one i found was https://www.macminivault.com - They offer month to month rentals. They also have a rent to own program which is very reasonable. They will build any macmini you want then divide by 12 months and pay a colo fee. after 12 months you own the server and the colo fee is very reasonable imo.