Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for 3 VPS for setting up test 3-node Hadoop
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for 3 VPS for setting up test 3-node Hadoop

dev_vpsdev_vps Member
edited April 2018 in Requests

I am looking for three VPS for test setup for 3-node Hadoop. This is for a Big Data course I am working on.

Master VPS should have 4 GB memory and other two VPS can have 2 GB. Hard drive (must be SSD or NVMe) can be 20 to 40 GB each. I am willing to share the Hadoop setup guide for the host provider, if needed.

Looking for best offers.

Thanks!

Comments

• Maybe helpful to specify anticipated CPU usage level - ie will you need dedicated cores for sustained use?

• UltraVPSUltraVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2018

Hi @dev_vps,

we can offer the following:

Cloud Special-2

• KVM virtualization
    • 2 GB RAM
    • 2 CPU cores
    • 50 GB redundant SSD storage (ZFS based)
    • 1 TB Monthly Transfer (in+out)
    • 1 IPv4 address
    • 10 IPv6 addresses (from your own /64 IPv6 subnet)
    • Contract term: 12 months
    • Available in Amsterdam (Netherlands), Duesseldorf (Germany), Dallas (USA), London (UK), Los Angeles (USA)

40 EUR per year incl. VAT (~ 42 USD excl. VAT)

[ORDER]

Cloud Special-3

• KVM virtualization
    • 4 GB RAM
    • 2 CPU cores
    • 75 GB redundant SSD storage (ZFS based)
    • 2 TB Monthly Transfer (in+out)
    • 1 IPv4 address
    • 10 IPv6 addresses (from your own /64 IPv6 subnet)
    • Contract term: 12 months
    • Available in Amsterdam (Netherlands), Duesseldorf (Germany), Dallas (USA), London (UK), Los Angeles (USA)

80 EUR per year incl. VAT (~ 84 USD excl. VAT)

[ORDER]

Looking glasses

Do you have any questions? Please do not hesitate to drop us a mail at [email protected].

• @uptime said:
    Maybe helpful to specify anticipated CPU usage level - ie will you need dedicated cores for sustained use?

I expect high CPU usage for about 20-25% of the time.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @dev_vps said:

@uptime said:
    Maybe helpful to specify anticipated CPU usage level - ie will you need dedicated cores for sustained use?

I expect high CPU usage for about 20-25% of the time.

Cool. I think the more you can clarify, the faster you'll find best offers and options.

I would evaluate hourly-billed instances such as Lunanode, Hetzner, etc - if you're a student also might check if DigitalOcean still offers discounts or credits. @UltraVPS is good for CPU and reliable service but maybe the contract term is longer than you want if just need for a semester?

@willie may have more suggestions for providers supporting occasional sustained CPU use.

Thanked by 2dev_vps Hetzner_OL
  • I'll go with netcup

• Try hetzner cloud. By default their provision system tries to put new instances on different hypervisor than you're already on.

Thanked by 2dev_vps Hetzner_OL
  • freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

Do the VMs have to be on different Hypervisors or can they be on the same hypervisor? Need private networking between the VMs? How many CPU cores per VM do you need?

Depending on CPU requirements I could do a deal on 3 VMs with those specs (4GB/2GB/2GB and 3x30GB SSD) in the $15/mo. range out of our Winnipeg datacenter.

Thanked by 1dev_vps
  • @freerangecloud said:
    Do the VMs have to be on different Hypervisors or can they be on the same hypervisor? Need private networking between the VMs? How many CPU cores per VM do you need?

Depending on CPU requirements I could do a deal on 3 VMs with those specs (4GB/2GB/2GB and 3x30GB SSD) in the $15/mo. range out of our Winnipeg datacenter.

Thanks so much, @freerangecloud

MasterNode - 4 vCore threads (50% dedicated) or 2 vCore threads (100% dedicated) with 4GB RAM and 40 GB SSD
    Two SubNodes - 2 vCore threads (50% dedicated) with 2 GB RAM and 30 GB SSD

MasterNode and SubNode must be on different hypervisors. Two sub-nodes can be on same hypervisor.

Would prefer private networking between the VMs.

Thanks, again.

• _Nic_Nic Member

Hadoop doesn't need ssd for datanode. But overselling HDD of VM is horrible usually.
    I'd try Scaleway for this.

Thanked by 1dev_vps
  • freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

@dev_vps said:

@freerangecloud said:

Thanks so much, @freerangecloud

MasterNode - 4 vCore threads (50% dedicated) or 2 vCore threads (100% dedicated) with 4GB RAM and 40 GB SSD
    Two SubNodes - 2 vCore threads (50% dedicated) with 2 GB RAM and 30 GB SSD

MasterNode and SubNode must be on different hypervisors. Two sub-nodes can be on same hypervisor.

Would prefer private networking between the VMs.

Thanks, again.

Clock speed important? I have an extra box I could potentially spin up the 2 subNodes on, not the greatest CPU though - dual E5310's

• williewillie Member
    edited April 2018

uptime said: @willie may have more suggestions for providers supporting occasional sustained CPU use.

I'm happy with Hetzner Cloud and DO for stuff like this. DO has more features and locations, Hetzner is cheaper.

• @freerangecloud said:

Clock speed important? I have an extra box I could potentially spin up the 2 subNodes on, not the greatest CPU though - dual E5310's

Thanks, but I dont think the CPU is fast enough.

• @willie said:

uptime said: @willie may have more suggestions for providers supporting occasional sustained CPU use.

I'm happy with Hetzner Cloud and DO for stuff like this. DO has more features and locations, Hetzner is cheaper.

Thanks @uptime and @willie. Greatly appreciated.

I have signed up with Hetzner Cloud.

Thanked by 2Hetzner_OL uptime
  • IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

Our Public Cloud should be fine.

Storage uses SSD and you can setup wether NAT VMs (with private network) or not.

Service is available in five countries.

You can get more info and price grid here https://www.ikoula.com/en/public-cloud

Tell me if you have more questions.

Greetings