Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Block or monitor and stop torrent traffic on OpenVPN (Radius/WHMCS setup)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Block or monitor and stop torrent traffic on OpenVPN (Radius/WHMCS setup)

zekarczekarc Member

I have a VPN I use with a small number of people. It's a community thing, and sometimes people use it to torrent. I don't keep logs, but I want to find out how to stop this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• TriJetScudTriJetScud Member
    edited April 2018

Realistically, the only thing I can think of is iptables with DPI rules (if that even exists) and drop tcp headers that has a distinct torrent signature. I'm not sure if iptables does it out of the box or there's modules that does that for you...

EDIT: Yes, turns out there is. It's called nDPI, which can be found here
    https://www.ntop.org/products/deep-packet-inspection/ndpi/

• I've installed nDPI, any idea how to use it? Found one way that is supposed to work, adding to the ip tables:

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -m ndpi --all
    iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -m ndpi --bittorrent -j DROP
    iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -m ndpi --unknown
    iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -m ndpi --all
    iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -m ndpi --bittorrent -j DROP
    iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -m ndpi --unknown

Doesn't seem to work well.

• Yeah, from my research it nDPI you do need to install the netfilter-ndpi extensions for it to work.

That part I've never tried myself, but of course, try setting it up on a development VM and see where it goes from there,

• FalzoFalzo Member

deep packet inspection doesn't help much, as most traffic is encrypted anyways.
    therefore the given rules don't help much anymore from my experience, that's simply outdated ;-)

what might do a bit better is to block well-known p2p related IPs, like for trackers. https://www.iblocklist.com/lists provides some useful lists to use with e.g. ipset, but is a tenner per year.

this still might not block p2p traffic completly, as users might have a list of peers already in their client which won't be blocked and could continue to communicate.

so the only real thing that works with a somewhat sufficient result will be whitelisting IPs and/or ports. for the latter remember that most torrent-client are configurable and may even use port 80/443 , so anyway not a task that's done easily or with a guarantued positive result.