Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cant upgrade Windows 2012 ERROR
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cant upgrade Windows 2012 ERROR

Hey! I try to upgrade the Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2012 and i get this error:

Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise cannot be upgraded to Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Evaluation (Server Core Installation). You can choose to install a new copy of Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Evaluation (Server Core Installation) instead, but this is different from an upgrade, and does not keep your files, settings, and programs. You’ll need to reinstall any programs using the original installation discs or files. To save your files before installing Windows, back them up to an external location such as a CD, DVD, or external hard drive. To install a new copy of Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Evaluation (Server Core Installation), click the Back button in the upper left-hand corner, and select “Custom (advanced)”. site:social.technet.microsoft.com

I have Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1

Comments

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Looks like it can only be upgraded to Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard or Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter for your version of 2008. Not Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Evaluation

• @AlexanderM said:
    Looks like it can only be upgraded to Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard or Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter for your version of 2008. Not Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Evaluation

And where can i found that versions ?

• YokedEggYokedEgg Member
    edited April 2018

@Thanos92 said:

@AlexanderM said:

What he's saying (which I have no idea about windows server addition) is that you need to buy the license, not use the evaluation version. Presumably the IP has ran the evaluation in the past.

• @YokedEgg said:

@Thanos92 said:

@AlexanderM said:

What he's saying (which I have no idea about windows server addition) is that you need to buy the license, not use the evaluation version. Presumably the IP has ran the evaluation in the past.

You talk about 2008 version or the 2012? Because i think Windows 2008 is Evaluation! But if i have buy license for 2012 can install it ?

• TriJetScudTriJetScud Member
    edited April 2018

You'll need to get a Windows Server 2012 R1/R2 ISO that isn't an evaluation ISO.

If you do have access to MSDN or VLSC, those ISO's can be used for the in-place upgrade from 2008 R2 to 2012 R1/R2.

• I have try any option i have but i take the same warning message all the time :(

• VPNVPN Member

It's not possible to do an in-place upgrade from a licensed edition of 2008 to an evaluation edition of 2012.

• Guys we try with a guy install windows 2012 without problem but he cant config static ip! Any solution ?

• Hire a better guy.

Thanked by 2mikho Falzo
  • donlidonli Member

@Thanos92 said:
    Guys we try with a guy install windows 2012 without problem but he cant config static ip! Any solution ?

Try with a girl.

Thanked by 2Falzo TriJetScud
  • TriJetScudTriJetScud Member
    edited April 2018

@Thanos92 said:
    Guys we try with a guy install windows 2012 without problem but he cant config static ip! Any solution ?

In PowerShell do:

New-NetIPAddress -IPAddress <Your V4 Address Here> -PrefixLength <The CIDR Notation subnetmask of your Address> -DefaultGateway <The Default Gateway to the outside world> -InterfaceIndex <Obtain that first by running Get-NetAdapter>

There's no need to go in the GUI and fiddle with it.

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • @TriJetScud said:

@Thanos92 said:

In PowerShell do:

New-NetIPAddress -IPAddress <Your V4 Address Here> -PrefixLength <The CIDR Notation subnetmask of your Address> -DefaultGateway <The Default Gateway to the outside world> -InterfaceIndex <Obtain that first by running Get-NetAdapter>

There's no need to go in the GUI and fiddle with it.

Check your PM! I send 2 messages!