Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Russia bans Google Cloud, Amazon, Azure, Digital Ocean, Online.net, Hetzner, OVH, others - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Russia bans Google Cloud, Amazon, Azure, Digital Ocean, Online.net, Hetzner, OVH, others

Comments

• @AlexJones said:
    Sweet, now people who block russia won't have to spend the extra server resources to do so since russia blocked it on their side. I wonder how much ddos has dropped since this.

Unless you are a specific target of known Russia-based DDoS masters, it's unlikely you'll see any difference.

• Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited April 2018

[deleted - duplicate post]

• mikeimikei Member

@elliotc said:
    My yandex mailbox can’t receive email. Dunno is it related.

Mine can)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2018

They have now started blocking Google. Not even the cloud service, just google.com itself. Apparantly because Telegram uses domain fronting to do DNS over TLS: like this.

At the moment 63 IPs of the 600 into which google.com resolves from various locations, are blocked. So it's about a 10% chance that Google won't load so far, with steadily increasing.

• @VPN said:

@jiggawattz said:

YokedEgg said: Straight stupidity going on here from both China and Russia.

That type of governing is not sustainable forever.

Why do you say this? I definitely don't support what Russia and China do, but I think there is a naive (mis)understanding in the West about the social contract that binds Russians and Chinese to their governments.

People in Russia and China generally don't care specifically about some abstract notion of freedom, and they aren't "yearning" as "huddled masses" as that traditional American imagery depicts those in non-democracies.

They don't care because they haven't tasted what true freedom is.

Russians did in the 90s. Anything could be bought and anything could be sold. The State was weak and, though not necessarily due to this, living standards were lower for most.

China has experienced massive economic growth under the heavy hand of the State, and hundreds of millions have been lifted out of poverty. You could argue that they could do even better under democracy. But Russians' standard of living has dramatically improved under authoritarianism v. the chaos and poverty caused by its fledgling democracy in the 90s. (Rising price of oil helped too.)

Again, you can't miss something you've never had. Yes people have been pulled out pf poverty but at the cost of a lower quality of life. The worst part about it is that they don't even realise there is a better life to be had.

Your assumption is that democracy (and the inherent freedoms associated with it) necessarily lead to higher standards of living. This is not necessarily supported empirically.

• elliotcelliotc Member
    edited April 2018

@mikei said:

@elliotc said:
    My yandex mailbox can’t receive email. Dunno is it related.

Mine can)

One forward mail disappeared, not intend to take any risks.
    EDIT:TYPO

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited April 2018

@jackb said:

@asterisk14 said:
    How many countries has China, Iran or Russia invaded in the last 15 yrs = NIL

Ukraine + Georgia != NIL. Oh plus all the aggressions on UK soil with nuclear poisoning, nerve agent poisoning and the guy who was shot in the head killed by injection and locked padlocked inside a sleeping bag. A little more than 15 years ago, but China had that Tiananmen square situation - sure, not an invasion but a massive atrocity.

Ukraine was invaded by UK/USA/EU - they overthrew the democratically elected government of Ukraine which had 9 months left?? The new regime to rule Ukraine was chosen by the USA, listen to the Victoria Nuland (US Ambassador) tape where she says who will run Ukraine, this regime is made up of neo-Nazi fascist thugs like Right Sector and banned Russian language. The Russian-speaking Ukrainians in the east of Ukraine didn't like the return of Nazi-ism since they had lost millions fighting Nazi-ism and didn't want to be ruled by a fascist regime so wanted to break away. This caused the problems there. Crimea was lucky to leave before it looked like Luhansk.

Georgia - Idiot Sakashvili invaded South ossetia, even the EU says Georgia started it according to the Kremlin mouthpiece the Guardian newspaper in London :
    "In more than 1,000 pages of analysis, documentation and witness statements, an exhaustive investigation by the European Union yesterday found in Russia's favour. " https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/oct/01/russia-georgia-south-ossetia

Skripal - what a joke... military grade novichok put in the drink at the pub, or put in their car, or sprayed on them by a passerby, no it was sprayed on their door handle and finally it was in some porridge that Yulia got from a friend, LOL. The only things that were killed were the Skripals guinea pigs and a cat and that was done by the british regime. FAKE TERROR.

>

but China had that Tiananmen square situation - sure, not an invasion but a massive atrocity.

Bigger than 1-2 million USA/UK killed in Iraq?

@Aidan said:

How many countries has China, Iran or Russia invaded in the last 15 yrs = NIL

You just made me choke on my coffee, perhaps you should get a news source other than TASS.

You should stop watching BBCNNBCBS

@kendid said:

No country is perfect, but Russia does appear to be the only one right now making land grabs.

>

Look at the world map from 1980 and now - Russian territory has shrunk massively. Have a look at NATO over the same period, you'll notice that NATO territory has expanded almost as much as Russian territory shrunk.

Thanked by 2mikei Ole_Juul
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Mind discussing politics elsewhere ?

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited April 2018

Those providers should drop Russian ISPs in retaliation.

Thanked by 4Tom Clouvider layfon FHR
  • kendidkendid Veteran
    edited April 2018

@asterisk14 said:
    Ukraine was invaded by UK/USA/EU
    ... banned Russian language.

Two majorly false statements that show you have no clue what you are talking about and are just stirring the pot. At what point was Ukraine invaded and proof that Russian language is banned??? Most of Ukraine is Russian speaking - Zaparoje, Dnepro, Kharkov, Krivoy Rog -- all major cities that were and ARE Russian speaking. The Russian language has NEVER, EVER,EVER been banned in Ukraine.

I'm also a Russian speaker from Crimea, so have a pretty good idea what went on.- and it is not what the Kremlin has been feeding you.

Thanked by 3mrTom Inglar AITHosting
  • AidanAidan Member

They have now started blocking Google. Not even the cloud service, just google.com itself. Apparantly because Telegram uses domain fronting to do DNS over TLS: like this.

At the moment 63 IPs of the 600 into which google.com resolves from various locations, are blocked. So it's about a 10% chance that Google won't load so far, with steadily increasing.

Seems like Google has stopped domain fronting on their side, stating that it was a "bug":

• Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited April 2018

@kcaj said:
    Those providers should drop Russian ISPs in retaliation.

That would be childish response. If every time dilettantes block entire provider's network (with obvious intent to blackmail. to force purging a service they can't block otherwise) and the response is reciprocal country blocking, then the blackmail will be a success.

Apart from directly losing part of their customers, the provider will clearly show it can be easily forced into submitting to external country's law.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Aidan said: Seems like Google has stopped domain fronting on their side, stating that it was a "bug":

They disabled it for reaching appspot.com, but for dns.google.com it still works.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • It would be nice to see a public, disciplined, Russian street protest, over Internet freedom.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • zevuszevus Member

Bigger than 1-2 million USA/UK killed in Iraq?

wat?

• nonissuenonissue Member
    edited April 2018

@asterisk14 said:
    Look at the world map from 1980 and now - Russian territory has shrunk massively. Have a look at NATO over the same period, you'll notice that NATO territory has expanded almost as much as Russian territory shrunk.

Russian territory has shrunk massively since 1980? Do you mean the Soviet Union? It dissolved. Are you arguing that the territory of the Russian Federation has shrunk since the dissolution of the Soviet Union? If so, I'd love to see maps documenting that.

Furthermore, you're comparing the territory of a single country to a intergovernmental military alliance (NATO) of sovereign countries, which is farcical.

Your post history is littered with anti-Western sentiment and you commonly reference the Daily Mail to support your arguments. There are absolutely valid criticisms you could levy against Western governments and their foreign policies, but the follow statement is patently absurd in a thread discussing concrete, fact-based, widespread censorship by the Russian government:

Which country is the real threat to your life, liberty, property. Not China, Iran or Russia.

Thanked by 2Clouvider bugrakoc
  • jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited April 2018

kendid said: The Russian language has NEVER, EVER,EVER been banned in Ukraine.

Calling it "banned" is definitely political hyperbole, but Ukraine did pass a law marginalizing minority languages such as Russian. That is a pretty serious law and it was even criticized in Europe when passed.

In regard to languages, Ukraine really needs to emulate Belarus: put all the street name and bus stop signs in a language that only drunk villagers and revolution-leaning academics speak and then let everybody use whatever they want. Works here.

@Clouvider said:

Isn't your homeland's government in hot water with the EU for telling this to journalists and others who dare speak out against the ruling Law & Justice party?

• emghemgh Member
    edited April 2018

@jiggawattz said:

[kendid said]
    @Clouvider said:

Isn't your homeland's government in hot water with the EU for telling this to journalists and others who dare speak out against the ruling Law & Justice party?

He asked if we could stop with the politics and you quote him with a political question?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited April 2018

Amazing, just amazing how things can get totally blown up out of proportion.

All I see is an organization with a not exactly good reputation in terms of security and transparency which says "fuck you!" to a state which then plays it the hard way.

I might have missed a detail but based on what I know Russia made rules and asked for things that other states demand too. But then, what is a government to do when somebody says "fuck you! I shit on your laws:"? NO country just accepts that. Some react more subtle and some like Russia react more direct and raw but NO country just accepts such a war declaration from a company particularly not when their product povably is the preferred means of communication for terrorists.

Regarding telegram they really aren't in a position to play Jeanne d'Arc. They grossly lack transparency and their crypto has been found questionable.

facebook is currently moving about 1.5 billion users out of the EU in another "fuck you!" operation because they don't care about the new and relatively strict EU data protection laws. Will the EU just accept that? Certainly not although I guess they'll try to act more subtly. In the end though it's a similar story and one with 1.5 billion users who are the victims.

In the end it seems to come down to how you prefer it. Open and "brutal" or just as brutal but subtle and with nice "democracy" stickers on it.

• IF you think the Russians are going to bitch out at some point and undo all of this, you are naive and need to see the world for what it is. No mistake here, going better than planned probably.

• @jsg said:
    Amazing, just amazing how things can get totally blown up out of proportion.

All I see is an organization with a not exactly good reputation in terms of security and transparency which says "fuck you!" to a state which then plays it the hard way.

Situation is rather convoluted. That includes Russian Federal Law 152 ("On personal data"), too broad and vague. If taken literally, it expects every network resource either owned by Russian citizen, or processing personal data of Russian citizens to store those data within Russia-located data center.

Imagine every service, such as blog, which processes contact form data, to comply with that law. The consequence of not complying - fine and/or blocking. If put into action literally, that law might be the ground for blocking, effectively, entire Internet.

Another thing - the formal reason to commence blocking Telegram was the service' refusal to pass encryption keys to federal agencies. That includes end-to-end encryption (no service providing end-to-end encryption can pass such keys, since it has no access to them - so this is a good means to block any service using end-to-end encryption).

So now we have abnormally broad banning of 19+ millions of IPs, which do not, in fact, efficiently block Telegram from Russia. The absurdity of the situation speaks for itself. Telegram owner is, most probably, deliberately chose this scenario, to demonstrate the inefficiency and lack of competence of Internet watchdog.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited April 2018

@emgh said:

@jiggawattz said:

@Clouvider said:

He asked if we could stop with the politics and you quote him with a political question?

It's no biggie - @Clouvider and I have a shared history dating back to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited April 2018

I think they (Russians) are preparing for a great war, at least with Ukraine in summer 2018 (after few months) or in 2019 when they will have collapse with their economy because of sanctions. It will be last act in Agony for reviving a USSR 2.0. Why? What will it solve? It will move focus from critical damage inside their economy, and all problems will be written off for war, and for enemies (which Russia creates for itself). Even if the new team will come to Russia leadership, they will get totally dead and empty country, and the previous regime will blame the new one that the new ones made so big problems with the economy like they always warning. (But the real reason, of course, its current regime). Nobody knows, but Russians announce blocking the whole internet in 2016, in 2018 they confirmed that rumor, and right now they already blocked 20kk IPs from almost all providers, media, and so on. Is it blocking internet, right? Right.

Is Russian government stupid? Nope, absolutely not. By fake reason they blocking the whole internet, and Facebook will be next, then twitter, and other social media will be only one 1TV and "Russia Today" 24/7 with "real true approved truth from russian president administration"

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-internet-cutoff/putin-adviser-says-russia-ready-if-west-locks-it-out-of-the-internet-idUSKBN1GH2I7

In very bad times we living in.

Thanked by 1default
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@jsg said:
    facebook is currently moving about 1.5 billion users out of the EU in another "fuck you!" operation because they don't care about the new and relatively strict EU data protection laws. Will the EU just accept that? Certainly not

Yes, they will accept that. Those 1.5bn users aren't EU citizens.

The key is that Facebook don't want to apply GDPR to non-EU citizens.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • mikeimikei Member
    edited April 2018

@desperand said:
    I think they (Russians) are preparing for a great war, at least with Ukraine in summer 2018 (after few months) or in 2019 when they will have collapse with their economy because of sanctions.

In very bad times we living in.

Sanctions ... Dream on.

Come with me. I'm going to Russia in June. I'll show you good times they live in.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Master_Bo Well, I guess that's the old problem. NO state can afford to tolerate terrorists, corrupt officials, organized crime and the like to have completely uncontrollable and secret communications. That's why all states have or create ways to be able to control communications. As I said, some do it in a nicer looking fashion or secretly and others like Russia do it quite bluntly.

As long as there are evil people on this planet we will always have to chose some compromise point on the axis between perfect liberty and perfect security.

I personally prefer the blunt russian way because it's in the open unlike many oh so democratic countries secretly spying and eavesdropping on their citizens. But I guess that's a matter of personal taste.

Regarding that telegram guy my guess is that sooner or later he will either give in or he will be broken in some way. I do not like what I see but I can understand that no major state can tolerate a relatively big and provoking and aggressive "fuck you!" player. And no, that's not somehow russian. Just look at how the USA and the UK are hunting and menacing Assange since years.

@jackb

Maybe you are right. But then there's still the issue of facebook obviously shitting on the rights and privacy of 1.5 billion users.

But then to be fair, most of those users either didn't understand that they are the product or they don't care.

Thanked by 1Master_Bo
  • Russia is really too abhorrent

• @desperand said:
    I think they (Russians) are preparing for a great war, at least with Ukraine in summer 2018 (after few months) or in 2019 when they will have collapse with their economy because of sanctions. [...]

"You wish".

You should definitely see how we live here, with your own eyes. Perhaps that could help you to treat media lies exactly as one should: ignore.

Thanked by 2mikei Ole_Juul
  • kendidkendid Veteran

Google translate, gmail, and google.com all not working in Crimea now :(