Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

hls video stream servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

hls video stream servers

hello,I have question about hls video stream servers
do it need big ram
sata drive ok or need ssd
and the cpu need strong?

Comments

• depends on what you are trying to do, public or private audiance? scale?

• if you dont do transcoding then the cpu can be weak. ram and ssd would be good tho (for 2gbit+). used nginx with hls on scaleway with around (only) 1000 viewers and it went fine.

• @mosan7763 said:
    if you dont do transcoding then the cpu can be weak. ram and ssd would be good tho (for 2gbit+). used nginx with hls on scaleway with around (only) 1000 viewers and it went fine.

my videos are h264/acc mp4 files..the script auto make m3u8 and .ts
    so if this way ..do I need ssd or sata

• depends on number of viewers, stream quality, streaming platform (server), encoding profile (one bitrate or adaptive), .. etc

This will help you choose requirements.

• GTHostGTHost Member, Patron Provider

@music7698 said:
    my videos are h264/acc mp4 files..the script auto make m3u8 and .ts
    so if this way ..do I need ssd or sata

in any case use SSD

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

If no transcoding is taking place, any SSD with any amount of RAM and any CPU will do. You will effectively be serving static files that change constantly, which is what HLS is. Even if you ingest the streams and remux them to HLS it will still work on pretty much everything, so just mind the bandwidth.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • I think there is no transcoding happening... it is just serving plain static files. I think any specs will be ok

• In my experience ram hardly matters. CPU needs to be as best as you can get

• music7698 said: hello,I have question about hls video stream servers do it need big ram sata drive ok or need ssd and the cpu need strong?

If you do transcoding, it also depends on how many streams and in what quality will be transcoded. For example, if you do an upscale from 480p to 720p having just a single stream with the use of ffmpeg and nginx-rtmp as an example, then, even a mediocre vps can handle just perfect the stream. The more streams and quality you scale, the more CPU mostly (RAM is not demanding) you will need.
    If it is for just a couple of streams, then, a plain SATA disk can do the job. But if you scale, you will need ssd because as @PUSHR_Victor, HLS creates constantly small files spliting the stream and there will be more disk activity.
    Th critical here is the bandwidth. If you are going to need a lot of bandwidth and do live stream, then, you should make your own cheap CDN to deliver the streams: use some vps in different areas, depending on your audience, use the original server not to deliver to clients but to deliver to the restramers and then, setup something like round-robin to balance the clients over the restreamers or, if you are technically capable, you also could create a HA cluster serving your audience from the closest server and do a real balance (the first solution, though -round robin- is ridiculously easy and it works fine in most cases).
    But if you don't do live streams, then, the easiest way is not to transcode your content on the fly, but convert the videos to the format you want and stream it on demand, right on the format you wish. In this case, you will not need to have big server (CPU,RAM) but you will need fast disks, SSD or NVMe if you have a lot of audience.

Hope I hepled

• You need SSD and Good CPU for you to get optimized delay in live feed. For better playback, you should put the server behind CDN (cheap choices like cloudflare, bunnycdn) then you can ease worrying about your bandwidth or network.

But still would suggest you to put ur server as close as possible. If you are into somewhat commercial, just go for WowZa + Any Mid Range CDN.