Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Easy to migrate from Cpanel/Linux to Windows/Plesk?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Easy to migrate from Cpanel/Linux to Windows/Plesk?

As some of you know, we have a Linux server we use to host customers website on, just as a service for them that want all their IT services in one place (us). But we do not have any system administrator or any with high Linux knowledge. It's a Centos server with Cpanel/Whm as control panel.

So I did mention to our owner today that we either need somebody with good Linux knowledge, or we need to outsource the server, or we can move it to a Windows server with Plesk on it. He wanted me to find out if it's possible to migrate all websites from Cpanel/Linux to Plesk/Windows?

Have any of your fine folks done a job like that? And what do a Plesk unlimited Windows server license go for thees days? I know that they increased their prices last year, and it was a solid increase.

Comments

• It's possible, but if you don't know what your doing in terms of sys admin, why not just get a reseller account?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

It is possible but don’t expect it to be a point and click thing.

It depends on the website. If it is Wordpress, use a backup/restore plugin.

Also, what webserver would you run on Windows? IIS handle php very differently. Not to mention perl and others.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • myhken said: Windows server with Plesk on it

Any reason for Windows? I mean you'd still need to do maintenance.

Also, consider a cpanel reseller plan.

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited April 2018

Yea, today we host the linux server in our own data center. But's it's almost the only linux server we have. But we manage around 500 Windows servers, so we have the knowledge there.
    On the Linux server we have around 200 customer sites, and they are all kinds of sites, from static stites, to wordpress, drupal, joomola and so on.
    We of course don't have any login info to wp-admin and other admin panels on the customers site. But we have Cpanel access to all customer sites.

So you are telling me that nobody have made a simple software to migrate sites from Cpanel to Plesk?

Site wise I can't see any issue running php/mysql on a Windows server with Plesk?

• @myhken said:
    Yea, today we host the linux server in our own data center. But's it's almost the only linux server we have. But we manage around 500 Windows servers, so we have the knowledge there.
    On the Linux server we have around 200 customer sites, and they are all kinds of sites, from static stites, to wordpress, drupal, joomola and so on.
    We of course don't have any login info to wp-admin and other admin panels on the customers site. But we have Cpanel access to all customer sites.

So you are telling me that nobody have made a simple software to migrate sites from Cpanel to Plesk?

Site wise I can't see any issue running php/mysql on a Windows server with Plesk?

https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/213905265-How-to-migrate-from-cPanel-to-Plesk-using-Plesk-Migrator-

Thanked by 1myhken

@YokedEgg
    Beat your google fu ;)

Thanked by 1YokedEgg
  • We are using Vmware and creating VM's on our VxRail - we can use a VPS license then, or do we need a dedicated server license?

• @myhken said:
    We are using Vmware and creating VM's on our VxRail - we can use a VPS license then, or do we need a dedicated server license?

There's always technicalities around this but basically yes.

I always use Proxmox + a VPS license of everything because I'm a cheap frugal bastard.

Thanked by 1myhken

@myhken said:
    We are using Vmware and creating VM's on our VxRail - we can use a VPS license then, or do we need a dedicated server license?

Yes

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Can I ask you one more question...if we are going with this solution. Do you recommend that we split our customers on two VM's or is better to have them all on one server, with good resources? If we split them in two, both VM's will be on the same VxRail so it's make no sense with two VM's then?

@myhken said:
    Can I ask you one more question...if we are going with this solution. Do you recommend that we split our customers on two VM's or is better to have them all on one server, with good resources? If we split them in two, both VM's will be on the same VxRail so it's make no sense with two VM's then?

Don’t know if Plesk uses IIS on Windows instead of Apache (or whatever webserver it is on Linux),-all I know is that IIS handles differently.

More VMs usually means higher costa when it comes to licensing fees. However, I like having smaller VMs, if something goes wrong with a VM, not that many customers gets affected.
    And if you can automate updates and day2day tasks, it doesn’t really matter if have 1 or 100 servers.

• Plesk migrator will help you in this case. You can install it from extensions.

• @AlphaNinevps_com said:
    Plesk migrator will help you in this case. You can install it from extensions.

Seems like it don't work from Linux/Cpanel to Windows/Plesk.

Have any some experience moving sites from Linux/Cpanel to Windows/Plesk?
    And I'm correct when I sure that you can't run Cpanel on Windows?

myhken said: you can't run Cpanel on Windows?

this is true.

My guess is you need to do each account separately.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Yes in that case, You would need to manually transfer the files, databases, email accounts.
    I recommend to do this from ssh. Ask your plesk hosting provider to give you a ssh access. If you dont have mush experience on it. Ask your support only to do the transfer, if they do it for free.

@myhken said:

@AlphaNinevps_com said:
    Plesk migrator will help you in this case. You can install it from extensions.

Seems like it don't work from Linux/Cpanel to Windows/Plesk.

Have any some experience moving sites from Linux/Cpanel to Windows/Plesk?
    And I'm correct when I sure that you can't run Cpanel on Windows?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Get a reseller if the loads/needs aren't too high.

Francisco