Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Encode Dedi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need Encode Dedi

Thanos92Thanos92 Member
edited April 2018 in Requests

Hello i need an RDP with that CPU 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2687W v3

Need it for encodes! I need to have very fast encode to BluRays! \

I have already a dedi with that specs:

**1x Intel Quad-Core E3-1270v5 3.60GHz 32GB 2x1TB SATA 100TB Datatraffic 1GE
and i am not happy! For every movie i need 25-37 minutes to finished! I need 10-15 minutes per movie!

Comments

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

OVH Public Cloud "CPU Instances" use that CPU. C2-7 with Windows maybe? Although at that cost you could get a dedicated server with E3-12xx and it would probably be more powerful.

• @FHR said:
    OVH Public Cloud "CPU Instances" use that CPU. C2-7 with Windows maybe? Although at that cost you could get a dedicated server with E3-12xx and it would probably be more powerful.

I dont know what is it! Can you tell me more about OVH Public Cloud?

• What kind of encoding do you need? if you don't go for 24/7 operations, use some encoding services like bitmovin or spin hourly instances to run it. Not sure why you need RDP together.

• @mrclown said:
    What kind of encoding do you need? if you don't go for 24/7 operations, use some encoding services like bitmovin or spin hourly instances to run it. Not sure why you need RDP together.

Hey! I dont want to encode 27/7! Whne i have new Movie then need to encode it! But i need to use my settings! To this servise you tell me can i set my settings ? Can i download and Upload ? What servise is ? I dont know about that encode services!

@Thanos92 said:

@FHR said:

https://www.ovh.com/world/public-cloud/instances/prices/

• @FHR said:

@Thanos92 said:

@FHR said:

1x Intel Quad-Core E3-1270v5 3.60GHz 32GB 2x1TB SATA 100TB Datatraffic 1GE

and i am not happy! For every movie i need 25-37 minutes to finished! I need 10-15 minutes per movie!

@Thanos92 said:

@FHR said:

@Thanos92 said:

@FHR said:

2 cores of that E5 won't help you then, they are less powerful than E3-1270v5.

• @FHR said:

@Thanos92 said:

@FHR said:

@Thanos92 said:

@FHR said:

2 cores of that E5 won't help you then, they are less powerful than E3-1270v5.

So what can i do dear ?

• How often are you encoding?

It might be more cost efficient to get a ridiculous GPU cloud instance once in a while if you're looking for absolute speed, destroy it when not needed.

• @ElliotJ said:
    How often are you encoding?

It might be more cost efficient to get a ridiculous GPU cloud instance once in a while if you're looking for absolute speed, destroy it when not needed.

Hey!

Maybe nothing but maybe need to encode 5-7 movies per day!

What do you mean ? I dont understand you! Sorry!

@Thanos92 said:

@ElliotJ said:

Hey!

Servers billed hourly. You create the server, encode what you need, stop it. You will get billed for the time you were using the server.

• @FHR said:

@Thanos92 said:

@ElliotJ said:

Hey!

Servers billed hourly. You create the server, encode what you need, stop it. You will get billed for the time you were using the server.

And how - where can i do it that ?

• @Thanos92 said:

@ElliotJ said:

Hey!

Gpu > Cpu for your use if you want it done faster. Got a decent cpu as is.

• @Thanos92 said:

@FHR said:

@Thanos92 said:

@ElliotJ said:

Hey!

And how - where can i do it that ?

This isn't hourly but an option,

https://www.hetzner.de/dedicated-rootserver/ex51-ssd-gpu

• Guys what you think about this ?

Dual Intel Xeon E5-2660v1 Pre-built
    CPU: 2.2Ghz / 3.0Ghz Turbo - 2 Processors (16 Cores / 32 Threads)
    Memory: 64GB DDR3 RAM
    Storage: 1x 480GB SSD
    Bandwidth: 1Gbit Port: 100TB/Month
    IPs: 5 Usable IPv4

Monthly: $59/Month

Its mutch better thank this?

• YokedEggYokedEgg Member
    edited April 2018

@Thanos92 said:
    Guys what you think about this ?

Dawg u just got told an e5 is worse than an e3 in terms of single core performance what kind of question is this

• @YokedEgg said:

@Thanos92 said:

Dawg u just got told an e5 is worse than an e3 in terms of single core performance what kind of question is this

Mate sorry i am not super user so that why i ask!

So you tell me that Dual Intel Xeon E5-2660v1 its better or no ?

• YokedEggYokedEgg Member
    edited April 2018

@Thanos92 said:

@YokedEgg said:

@Thanos92 said:

Mate sorry i am not super user so that why i ask!

So you tell me that Dual Intel Xeon E5-2660v1 its better or no ?

If you have an E3 right now an E5 will be a downgrade for your use. The model of either shouldn't matter much.

I lied, I thought parallelism was an issue for encoding and needed better single core performance.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited April 2018

You guys are saying a single E3 would be better than a dual E5? Sorry, but that's incorrect assuming the encode is multithreaded.

Would get much better performance across 16 cores than a 4 core, no matter the clock speed.

Thanked by 1Thanos92
  • But this have DUAL ---> **Dual Intel Xeon E5-2660v1 **Pre-built CPU: 2.2Ghz / 3.0Ghz Turbo - 2 Processors (16 Cores / 32 Threads) Memory: 64GB DDR3 RAM Storage: 1x 480GB SSD Bandwidth: 1Gbit Port: 100TB/Month IPs: 5 Usable IPv4 Location: Missouri (USA)

and this have 1 CPU --> 1x Intel Quad-Core E3-1270v5 3.60GHz 32GB 2x1TB SATA 100TB Datatraffic 1GE

@Thanos92 said:
    But this have DUAL ---> **Dual Intel Xeon E5-2660v1 **Pre-built CPU: 2.2Ghz / 3.0Ghz Turbo - 2 Processors (16 Cores / 32 Threads) Memory: 64GB DDR3 RAM Storage: 1x 480GB SSD Bandwidth: 1Gbit Port: 100TB/Month IPs: 5 Usable IPv4 Location: Missouri (USA)

and this have 1 CPU --> 1x Intel Quad-Core E3-1270v5 3.60GHz 32GB 2x1TB SATA 100TB Datatraffic 1GE

Dual E5 is the way to go in my opinion. How much are you paying for the E3? Because if it's more than $60/mo then definitely drop it in favor the the E5 for the same or lesser price.

• @MasonR said:

@Thanos92 said:
    But this have DUAL ---> **Dual Intel Xeon E5-2660v1 **Pre-built CPU: 2.2Ghz / 3.0Ghz Turbo - 2 Processors (16 Cores / 32 Threads) Memory: 64GB DDR3 RAM Storage: 1x 480GB SSD Bandwidth: 1Gbit Port: 100TB/Month IPs: 5 Usable IPv4 Location: Missouri (USA)

Dual E5 is the way to go in my opinion. How much are you paying for the E3? Because if it's more than $60/mo then definitely drop it in favor the the E5 for the same or lesser price.

I pay 80 EUROS!

Dual E5 > E3. Rendering is a multithreaded thing.

Thanked by 1MasonR

@Thanos92 said:
    I pay 80 EUROS!

Drop it. Go with the dual E5 as long as you don't need the extra disk space.

• @MasonR said:

@Thanos92 said:
    I pay 80 EUROS!

Drop it. Go with the dual E5 as long as you don't need the extra disk space.

No i dont need more space!

In: **1x Intel Quad-Core E3-1270v5 3.60GHz 32GB 2x1TB SATA 100TB Datatraffic 1GE and need 25-37 minutes per movie!

WITH THAT: Dual Intel Xeon E5-2660v1 Pre-built CPU: 2.2Ghz / 3.0Ghz Turbo - 2 Processors (16 Cores / 32 Threads) Memory: 64GB DDR3 RAM Storage: 1x 480GB SSD Bandwidth: 1Gbit Port: 100TB/Month IPs: 5 Usable IPv4 Location: Missouri (USA)

How many time you think i get it ?

edited April 2018

Considering my dual e5-2670 did the encode in 12ish minutes, my guess will be probably 15 or so minutes. Of course depending on frame/bit rates, length, encoding codec, all that jazz.

• Higher encode settings lead to longer encoding time. For faster encoding speed, you'll have to pay a LOT of money if you are not willing to lower the settings. People in fansub groups keep buying dual E5v3/v4s that cost couple thousand US dollars, just to cover the settings they choose to encode videos.

If you do want to increase the output per day, you can buy 2 or more servers, and split your tasks per server. For example, you encode movie 1 on server A, movie 2 on server B, etc., and within 1 hour you get 2 or 3 movies ready. We have an encoding farm that has 10 E5 servers, and thus can encode 10 movies at the same time.

I suppose English is not your native language, so I tried to use as simple words as possible.

• Also you should mention your encode tools and settings.

x264 was developed more than 10 years ago. At that time people usually only have 2 cores CPU, and both x264 and AVC were not well optimized for many cores. x264 used to only work well for up to 12 threads, and later became higher but still won't work great if you ask it to use 40 threads. b-adapt 2 would also lower the parallelism and make things slower.

x265 on the other hand, was developed only a few years ago, and with the help from WPP and pmode it can utilize more cores efficiently.

Thanked by 1YokedEgg
  • @msg7086 said:
    Also you should mention your encode tools and settings.

x264 was developed more than 10 years ago. At that time people usually only have 2 cores CPU, and both x264 and AVC were not well optimized for many cores. x264 used to only work well for up to 12 threads, and later became higher but still won't work great if you ask it to use 40 threads. b-adapt 2 would also lower the parallelism and make things slower.

x265 on the other hand, was developed only a few years ago, and with the help from WPP and pmode it can utilize more cores efficiently.

I've always thought parallelism was an issue for encoding, then again, I've never actually had a need for it.