Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adding a script to startup on a VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Adding a script to startup on a VPS

zjenzjen Member
edited February 2012 in Help

What's a good way to add a script to startup so that it runs as if you had typed the commands yourself over SSH?

I'd like to create some screen sessions and run commands in them that I can then SSH in and attach to later.

One problem I'm having is that I'll add a script to crontab or /etc/init.d and the command will fail, I think because the environment is different e.g. different environmental variables. Also adding to init.d isn't quick and easy.

Comments

• Hmmm, debian stuff? Well, then

If you want something running at boot, yes, you can put it at /etc/rc.local That is at boot. The alternative is to create a custom script, put it in init.d as you say AND symlink it to the corresponding folders rcX.d where 'X' is a number showing the run level of the system. If you want this to be easy, put it in init.d and then use something like

update-rc.d -f myscript defaults

That will symlink your script for you to each runlevel =P

But if is Ubuntu stuff, sometimes this doesn't work, because recent versions uses that weird "upstart" instead of init, and supossedly are compatible... but personally I have issues or I don't understand how it works.

But I have some questions now because you firsat say SSH, and after you say GUI.

• Yes SSH, no GUI.

Don't update-rc.d 'defaults' run at shutdown too? Run levels are very unclear to me, despite reading the man pages.

Do I need to set the PATH variable in my script or use the full paths to any executables my script runs? Can I use su -l or another command to set up the environment as if I was logged in?

Thanks

• Add it to /etc/rc.local, be sure to add an & after the script to background it :P

• Can I see it in jobs or return it to the foreground somehow if I do that?

• Is better to use full paths. The default path is limited to /bin /sbin and maybe that's all.

Honestly, I am not sure if it runs at shutdown too, I haven't tried. But you always can remove the right symlinks. When you apply the command it will show what symlinks has created, then you can remove them (maybe 0 and 6 for shutdown and reboot?)

• zjenzjen Member
    edited February 2012

I think you are in the same position as me! I know the supposed startup methods but not sure if I'm doing it correctly. Run levels are confusing.

Based on maxexcloo's advice I'll try rc.local instead of cron and init.d.

• crontab -e and put it after a @reboot

• zjenzjen Member
    edited February 2012

Why though? Since it's a LEB, perhaps I want to disable cron.

Does anyone else run screen on startup or anything similar?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2012

Since it's a LEB, perhaps I want to disable cron.

How much do you gain with disabling cron? :)

@OneTwo said: crontab -e and put it after a @reboot

That's also my preference disregarding distro.

crontab -e
    @reboot cd /root; ./yourscript.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
    ...and voila!

• OneTwoOneTwo Member
    edited February 2012

@zjen cron doesn't take more than 1-2MB ram.

@Spirit you could use:
    @reboot /root/yourscript.sh >/dev/null 2>&1

• Thanks. Anything special in yourscript.sh like setting PATH?

• @OneTwo but then the script's working directory wouldn't be /root would it?

Do you really need to pipe the output to /dev/null?

• @zjen I don't know about the directive, you don't have to set anything special in the script. You could always have a "cd /path/path" to go where you want.

If there's output without nulling it, you'll get an email with it.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2012

@OneTwo said: you don't have to set anything special in the script.

@OneTwo, #!/bin/sh line to state the interpretor explicitly maybe? Not mandatory but well...

• @Spirit that's obvious. at least for me.