OVH Hillsboro, Oregon (US West) DC release
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

OVH Hillsboro, Oregon (US West) DC release

Comments

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Provider

Good plans but I wish they'd offer an option between a metered 1Gbps and an unmetered 250Mbps.

Thanked by 1zrj766

Free Uptime Monitoring - minimize your downtime by being the first to know about it.
    Free Blacklist Monitoring - don't let a few bad clients ruin your network.

• thanked by nekki sister !

• WHTWHT Member

Prices to expensive.in my eyes. I think they will fail in US.

• @WHT said:
    Prices to expensive.in my eyes. I think they will fail in US.

Same.

Yoked or Yolked? You decide.

• hzrhzr Member

Great price, this is incredibly cheap for the location, we currently pay more than 10x this in Portland,,

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • hzrhzr Member

FYI portland we are talking over $100 for an intel atom with 1 disk being the norm

• @TheXO said:
    Are IPs one time only or.. ?

Yup. Next time, just read the link Jesse mentioned..

Up to 256 IPs with no monthly fees (excluding setup fees)

• FHRFHR Member, Provider

That's not the same configuration and is more expensive.

• No RAID, Single HDD
    • Less powerful CPU
    • Less bandwidth
    • No DDOS protection.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you get a lot more hand-holding with Hivelocity than OVH. But comparing only price/performance ratio, OVH seems like a much better choice.

Thanked by 2HBAndrei willie

SkylonHost | Affordable Semi-Dedicated VPS - Enjoy performance to the fullest extent. | 40% OFF promo

• MikeAMikeA Member, Provider

Routing is not optimized just like others. 50-70ms to Seattle networks as it gets routed to CHI/NY/LA first.

Thanked by 1willie

ExtraVM DDoS Protected VPS

• williewillie Member

Quite expensive compared to the stuff at BHS and even with regular low-end US dedi hosts. It will be more interesting if they offer VPS in Portland similar to other OVH locations.

• SetsuraSetsura Member

Looking forward to different offers later on, might buy one of these for a month to mess around with though.

Will shill for Pop-Tarts(must be strawberry flavour).

• vovlervovler Member

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • EdmondEdmond Member without signature
    edited April 11

@MikeA said:
    Routing is not optimized just like others. 50-70ms to Seattle networks as it gets routed to CHI/NY/LA first.

Guess OVH is too lazy to peer with any useful peer or transit provider at SIX even if they have a 10G port there....

What's the test IP address?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

Edmond said: Guess OVH is too lazy to peer with any useful peer or transit provider at SIX even if they have a 10G port there....

Going to need a lot more than 10Gbit on SIX if you're OVH.

Francisco

BuyVM - Dedicated KVM Slices / Anycast Support! / Stallion Control Panel / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
    BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
  • donlidonli Member

They seem to be actually in Hillsboro, Oregon (right next to Portland).

Thanked by 1YokedEgg
  • hows ping to Google cloud oregon us-west1?

Maybe put a caching reverse proxy here for the cheap bandwidth.

• sinsin Member

willie said: It will be more interesting if they offer VPS in Portland similar to other OVH locations

This is what I keep waiting on...some VPS or Public Cloud in their US locations.

• CConnerCConner Member, Provider

@donli said:
    They seem to be actually in Hillsboro, Oregon (right next to Portland).

Big boi Octave kept saying it was Portland. Edited the title there.

Thanked by 1willie
  • ninzo59ninzo59 Member, Provider

@vovler said:

Thanks for the feedback :)

OVH - Dedicated Servers / Cloud

• great, this is how I save money

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

CConner said: Big boi Octave kept saying it was Portland. Edited the title there.

Oh no, OVH is pulling the 'New York Metro' scam too?!

Francisco

Thanked by 1MasonR
    BuyVM - Dedicated KVM Slices / Anycast Support! / Stallion Control Panel / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
    BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
  • hzrhzr Member

Francisco said: Oh no, OVH is pulling the 'New York Metro' scam too?!

>

Quebec ... BHS ...

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • MasonRMasonR Member
    edited April 15

@hzr said:

Francisco said: Oh no, OVH is pulling the 'New York Metro' scam too?!

>

Quebec ... BHS ...

? Quebec is the province, not the city.

As far as I've seen with OVH/SYS/KS they've only ever advertised Beauharnois, not any other city (i.e. Montreal).

• vishvish Member

Not even remotely interested in OVH USA

vish said: Not even remotely interested in OVH USA

Not as long as there are way better and cheaper options in the same locations, no.

Thanked by 1webcraft

You are all talking about cheaper options in the same area. My question is, who is the cheaper option with comparable specs?

SkylonHost | Affordable Semi-Dedicated VPS - Enjoy performance to the fullest extent. | 40% OFF promo

@FHR said:
    You are all talking about cheaper options in the same area. My question is, who is the cheaper option with comparable specs?

https://usdedicated.com/ & https://www.reliablesite.net/

@CConner said:

@FHR said:

https://usdedicated.com/ & https://www.reliablesite.net/

USDedicated - $130 for a server with 10TB bandwidth and 4Gbps DDOS protection. +$600 for unmetered bandwidth (granted, it's 1Gbps vs 500Mbps)
    ReliableSite - Latest 1270 they have is v3.

edited April 15

FHR said: $600 for unmetered bandwidth (granted, it's 1Gbps vs 500Mbps)

OVH only offers 250 Mbit/s on their models in the US.

You're only looking at hardware generation. The performance difference between and a 1270v3 and v6 is minimal. You're factoring out that OVH support is too put it nicely, shit. Both of these providers answer my ticket in less than 12 hours and actually solve the issue as well. Solving issues at OVH takes, most of the time, a month if not at all.

@CConner said:

You're only looking at hardware generation. The performance difference between and a 1270v3 and v6 is minimal. You're factoring out that OVH support is too put it nicely, shit. Both of these providers answer my ticket in less than 12 hours and actually solve the issue as well. Solving issues at OVH takes, most of the time, a month if not at all.

OVH US is a totally separate company with different CEO and different people though. I can't compare as I've not used them yet.

@FHR said:

@CConner said:

OVH US is a totally separate company with different CEO and different people though. I can't compare as I've not used them yet.

OVH UK has a separate board as well and their support and network are poor to say the least.

• HarambeHarambe Member

@FHR said:

There are none, just no one likes the pricing compared to other OVH DCs. I don't know anyone offering something comparable with new gear, unmetered bandwidth, etc on the west coast.

The main reason I'm holding off right now is because I don't think it's enough of a discount to be a guinea pig in their new DC. Would rather wait for them to iron out any network kinks and up their west coast peering before dropping $100/mo.

Professional Shoeminer

• MikeAMikeA Member, Provider
    edited April 15

Regardless of pricing, bandwidth, etc., until routing is fixed just like all of the other new locations it isn't appealing. Psychz LA for example has 100ms+ lower latency to Asia last I checked.

ExtraVM DDoS Protected VPS

• OPNodesOPNodes Member

@MikeA said:
    Regardless of pricing, bandwidth, etc., until routing is fixed just like all of the other new locations it isn't appealing. Psychz LA for example has 100ms+ lower latency to Asia last I checked.

Agreed, got a test IP from them and can confirm it's awful. 147.135.33.77 if anybody wants to test themselves.

• sinsin Member

@OPNodes said:

@MikeA said:

Agreed, got a test IP from them and can confirm it's awful. 147.135.33.77 if anybody wants to test themselves.

You're right lol, I'm getting a 109ms ping avg from Virginia.

• ShazanShazan Provider

From Italy:

5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4217ms

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 212.136/212.774/213.268/0.492 ms

From Czechia:

• To the provided IP: 193ms, 19 hops. Routed via OVH network, goes through BHS.
    • To QuadraNet LA: 164ms, 16 hops. Routed via Telia.

• KrisKris Member

94.8ms from NJ.

Routed from Newark -> BHS -> Chicago -> Palo Alto (Silicon Valley) -> PDX1 (Oregon)

8. be100-104.nwk-1-a9.nj.us                                                                                                                                                          0.0%   138    3.9   4.1   3.7   5.2   0.1
     9. be100-1319.bhs-g1-nc5.qc.ca                                                                                                                                                       0.7%   138   15.4  22.8  11.2 189.2  33.2
    10. be100-1320.chi-1-a9.il.us                                                                                                                                                         0.0%   138   27.1  27.2  26.7  32.9   0.5
    11. be100-1370.pao-sv8-bb1-a9.ca.us                                                                                                                                                   0.0%   138   79.7  79.6  79.2  80.3   0.0
    12. pdx1-hil1-g2-nc5.ca.us                                                                                                                                                            0.0%   138   94.3  94.5  94.0 100.6   0.6

Think I'll stick with BHS for the foreseeable future.

• MasonRMasonR Member

@Kris said:
    94.8ms from NJ.

Think I'll stick with BHS for the foreseeable future.

Why would you be comparing BHS to Oregon if you're in NJ anyway? OR is 2000+ miles further than BHS.

• KrisKris Member

MasonR said: Why would you be comparing BHS to Oregon if you're in NJ anyway?

Yes, yes it is.

I get latency of less than 80ms to AWS Oregon.

Look at the MTR. The extra stop in BHS to get to Chicago & Palo Alto to get to Oregon adds some time. Similiar to Comcast's backbone where they keep it on their network as much as possible to avoid transit costs.

• OPNodesOPNodes Member

@Kris said:

MasonR said: Why would you be comparing BHS to Oregon if you're in NJ anyway?

Yes, yes it is.

I get latency of less than 80ms to AWS Oregon.

Look at the MTR. The extra stop in BHS to get to Chicago & Palo Alto to get to Oregon adds some time. Similiar to Comcast's backbone where they keep it on their network as much as possible to avoid transit costs.

Not ALL traffic is routed through BHS, however. You’d only be looking at Oregon location if you’re serving west coast/Asia.

• @hzr said:
    Great price, this is incredibly cheap for the location, we currently pay more than 10x this in Portland,,

So you're paying $1000/m for a server in Portland? Lol.

Greyhound said: So you're paying $1000/m for a server in Portland? Lol.

lol

• EdmondEdmond Member without signature
    edited April 19

This routing is terrible... I get better latency to certain Asian country and to western EU than to this OVH DC that's two states away from me. How is that even possible????

Connections goes from BC, Canada -> BHS -> Chicago -> Palo Alto -> PDX

Tracing route to 147.135.33.77 over a maximum of 30 hops

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  Internal Router
      2    17 ms     9 ms     7 ms  Internal ISP Routing
      3    61 ms    61 ms    63 ms  75.154.xxx.xxx - ISP's Network
      4    61 ms    60 ms    60 ms  be9.mtl-1-6k.qc.ca [198.27.73.220]
      5    62 ms    62 ms    62 ms  be100-1321.bhs-g1-nc5.qc.ca [192.99.146.136]
      6    78 ms    78 ms    78 ms  be100-1320.chi-1-a9.il.us [198.27.73.207]
      7   127 ms   127 ms   128 ms  pao-sv8-bb1-a9.ca.us [198.27.73.148]
      8   144 ms   144 ms   145 ms  pdx1-hil1-g2-nc5.ca.us [142.44.208.9]
      9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     12   144 ms   143 ms   144 ms  147.135.33.77

Trace complete.

Seems that everything has to hit either BHS or RBX before it can reach the actual datacenter...

• Just wanted to say that the routing issues everyone is experiencing have been acknowledged, and a resolution that mitigates the latency and geographic bouncing around is being actively worked towards.

• saibalsaibal Member

Source?

• Do you need a source? they obviously are not going to keep it as is.

• saibalsaibal Member

I was looking more for a road map for this. OVH is not known to be a fast mover. Hopefully they sort this soon.

• Why is everyone hammering on their routing? It's going to change. You people are talking about it like you all forget that the internet is not a concrete highway.

It's been the same with all their new sites. Eventually they sort it out.

@LosPollosHermanos said:
    Why is everyone hammering on their routing? It's going to change. You people are talking about it like you all forget that the internet is not a concrete highway.

It's been the same with all their new sites. Eventually they sort it out.

Singapore hasn't been sorted out after a year. Why would anyone trust OVH's promises? It's not like these servers are free.

Thanked by 1saibal