Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1 Gbps on Time4VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1 Gbps on Time4VPS

marsonmarson Member
edited April 2018 in General

Today I received following e-mail from time4vps and I thought I should share with others on LET, because I didn't see it here

Increase Port Speed up to 10 Times!

It's time to move up to a gigabit network! From now on, you can purchase the 1 Gbps port speed and increase port speed by 10 times! The new feature will cost you only 1 euro per month and can be ordered in addition to your current services.

Switching over to gigabit speeds increases your potential throughput tenfold by letting you to download large files, stream media, minimizing your transfer times or perform other network-intensive tasks faster.
PURCHASE 1 GBPS
Here's How to Order 1 Gbps:

Personally I upgraded my port speed to 1 Gbps and I am satisfied with the change.

Comments

• Shared 1Gbps is probably not going to amount to much over 100Mbps (if even) particularly because these ports are always heavily used for backups.

Not sure how many VMs use the same port.

• Of course it is shared, however during my small test I had arount 40 MB/s

• @marson said:
    Of course it is shared, however during my small test I had arount 40 MB/s

What about otherwise on the standard port?

• it was about 100 Mbps but sometimes I had drops

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

I thought iops were the major limiting factor for Time4VPS, not port speed?

Thanked by 3Aidan Falzo Ewok
  • I use time4VPS only for cold backup, I keeping only DirectAdmin account backup on it so IOPs are not so important but port speed yes.

• SV_NickSV_Nick Member
    edited April 2018

This depends, you might get lucky and have some nice neighbours. At ServerViking fortunately most neighbours of our customers seem to be very nice and polite in their neighbourhood and don't abuse the Gbit Ports that we provide.

You see spikes hitting 900Mbit/s~+ here and there, but it's a Gbit you're going to consume it, if I put in 10Gbit/s P/Node then people would just drive a bit faster and consume more, don't get me wrong they would get to their destination (Downloading the file) a bit quicker so the time period of that consumption would be less if the other end can keep up.

However, 9/10 I can look at the graph and it's each host has a nice even balance.

Saying that though, if you've got some not so friendly neighbours who are set out to to be neighbours from hell then they're going to cause your road to be congested. Just lucky if you get nice neighbours I suppose.

As they say! You put a bigger bin in and people will still fill it up.

• hjlowhjlow Member

i tested this, got about 1/2 of 1gbit speed :/