Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

need a vps specifically for gameservers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

need a vps specifically for gameservers

flyfly Member
edited February 2012 in General

hey so I'm looking for a VPS specifically for running urban terror servers. Here are what I require for specs:
1 core CPU ~2ghz
256 ram at least for 1 game server
2GB hard drive (needs to be around 100mB/s I/O)
bandwidth doesn't matter, but quality of the line and the routing does matter.
Needs to be in a central USA location

I'm using this server only for official league matches so really it'll only be used for 1 or 2 hours a night and not even every night. i've tried using amazon EC2 instances but their routing isn't optimal for game servers.

Hoping to spend under the LEB maximum price per month for it, can pay for longer term payment plans if provider has been around long enough.

I've been looking around, and errantweb has been pretty good but due to a couple of hiccups with their network I'm gonna test the waters again. Any ideas?

Comments

• So, I just host UrT stuff too.

I have my main servers at BuyVM, and some others that I don't prefer to disclose :P

You don't need so much I/O, and you always can create a ramdisk to write to the games.log file.

The cpu, despite being powerful, you can experience issues due to the nature of the shared environment.

And finally, what is your preferred location?

• needs to be somewhere central, most of my guys are on the east coast but there are a lot of cali players in the league. I've found detroit and chicago to be best, with dallas being ok and florida and california completely terrible.
    since UrT only runs on one core, that's all I need. And yeah the ramdisk sounds good I never thought of that :(

• Might be a little difficult to find a low-end VPS for gameservers. The RAM will be the easy part, however you'd need a decent RAID array and good share of the CPU for gameservers. You might want to contact a few providers beforehand and see if they allow gameservers and also if the VPS would work for what you want.

• flyfly Member
    edited February 2012

well the reason why I'm not buying from companies like gameservers or NFO or other such dedicated gaming server companies is that they manage the servers. Especially with the recent security updates for the server executable, I find it a lot easier to compile the executable myself, and I can't do that with managed servers.

@Clinton I've seen your ads on WHT and LET, but your specs are too high for what I need. Do you do custom solutions?

• Go ahead and send me a PM and I'll see if I can work out a solution for what you want.

Thanked by 1fly
  • yomeroyomero Member
    edited February 2012

Well, I consider myself almost an expert in UrT stuff lol.
    So, agree with you, I compile my own binary with the ioquake trunk because the official sucks xD and yes, gameservers and other companies sucks too :D

I can recommend you the new Edis Chicago location with linux vserver. I have one in Austria and works wonderfully, and in theory you get the same hardware, 24 cores, pretty decent I/O, and my node is almost idle =P

PS:Maybe we can talk a little bit to share some knowledge xD

• flyfly Member
    edited February 2012

yeah I just bought a 256 EDIS chicago kvm, gonna test it out, learn some german on the way. still looking for more options though
    i usually hang out on #nvm.urt in quakenet or #derpify.me on gamesurge
    also, I don't know if you read about Rambetter's SVN?

• Not to hijack, but @yomero, what type of plan are you using for your servers? I'd be interested in spawning up a defrag or CPMA server to play around, but I'm not familiar with quake specs server side.

• @soylent defrag + cpma is dead :0

i love those games tho

• Which is why I said to play around! It's a shame Quake Live is such a crapfest. Id makes great stuff, but they utterly fail at the execution.

• @Soylent, have you looked into warsaw? that game is amazing.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited February 2012

@kbar Yes, I compile from his ioquake trunk with all his patches =P don't know the difference between that and the iourt but I prefer it because when I started to compile it had more patches =P

@Soylent, I use their 3.50 plans, and one of the yearly ones.

Thanked by 1Soylent