Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clustering HDDs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Clustering HDDs?

OneTwoOneTwo Member
edited February 2012 in General

hello, how can I cluster some VPS disks, so If I have 2 VPS 5GB HDD each I'll get a 10GB folder in one of each?

Comments

• LVM

• @yomero great, but how can It used with remote hdd's?

formatting to lvm, exporting and mounting?

• I don't know what exactly you want to do. If you mean, you have 2 VPS and you want to join their disks, I don't think that's possible, unless some weird way of fuse distributed filesystem

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited February 2012

@OneTwo NBD, iscsi

IIRC there was also some implementation of filesystem over ftp.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited February 2012

You could create create some btrfs image files, then mount them as NFS shares, and then use LVM to string them together as a "cluster". Problem here is, if any of your VPS's become inaccessible, then your entire LVM stripe is dead.

Or for every VPS you have, buy a duplicate in a different datacenter/company, then mirror the NFS shares as raid1 pairs, then string together your raid1 pair with LVM. If one VPS dies, but the other one in the pair is active, then things will continue normally. If both VPS's in the pair dies, or you otherwise lose a pair, then your LVM stripe is dead.

So you should probably RAID5 together 3 pairs of RAID1 arrays, then, RAID5 all of your RAID5 arrays, then you can use LVM to string together all of your RAID5'd RAID5 arrays, and you should be good to go!

• @OneTwo said: how can I cluster some VPS disks

As long as you are using Xen/KVM I think you could use GlusterFS or any other distributed fliesystem

Thanked by 2Mon5t3r Steve81
  • OneTwoOneTwo Member
    edited February 2012

@Damian4IPXcore @miTgiB

could someone of you please write a tutorial?

• @OneTwo said: please write a tutorial?

I vote you write the tutorial after over-coming all the trial and error of your experiance

• @miTgiB good idea.

• @OneTwo: That was more of a tongue-in-cheek method that I described above. (remember that humor thing we discussed in private message? there you go.)

What i've written is theoretically possible, it would use a massive amount of bandwidth to effect. Not to mention it would be extremely slow, due to the amount of i/o operations that would occur any time a read/write operation happened, and then to add in the latency of the internet....

Instead, relate to us the problem you're trying to overcome, instead of the end result that you think is what you need, and we can help you with that instead.

• @Damian4IPXcore wondering how big companys like rapidshare or ex-megaupload doing it.

• Ahm, I don't think they have a distributed filesystem.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_File_System is what you're looking for, i'm guessing.

Facebook uses http://hadoop.apache.org/hdfs/

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited February 2012

@miTgiB said: GlusterFS

agree.. easy, simple, and fast. (for me :P )

• howtoforge.com has a number of articles on GlusterFS. To me, it looks like you want to do something like this: http://www.howtoforge.com/striping-across-four-storage-nodes-with-glusterfs-on-mandriva-2010.0-p2

I think that GlusterFS is dependent on FUSE. If so, and your virtual servers are OpenVZ containers, then you're going provider is going to have the load the fuse kernel module.

• Does anyone know what technology dropbox uses?

• @OneTwo said: Does anyone know what technology dropbox uses?

I think it uses:
    amazon s3 for storage, rsync for syncing.