Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ipv6 connections to localhost 443
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ipv6 connections to localhost 443

I am seeing strange ipv6 connections originating from localhost and connecting to localhost https:

tcp6 0 0 ::1:47711 ::1:443 TIME_WAIT - tcp6 0 0 ::1:47710 ::1:443 TIME_WAIT -

I've tried netstat, fuser and lsof to identify the process behind these but with no luck. Searching shows that others have noticed these too on their systems but with no explanation as to the source. Do you guys know what might be causing these connections?

Comments

• sudo netstat -pane | grep :443
    (make sure you're running it as root basically, either via sudo or whatever...)

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited September 2013

@jamesr said:
    sudo netstat -pane | grep :443
    (make sure you're running it as root basically, either via sudo or whatever...)

As mentioned in the OP I already tried using netstat with the -p switch. also fuser and lsof.

The output you see in the OP is netstat -antlp greped. You can see that it is showing a dash in the rightmost program column.

• Do you have a FastCGI-socket enabled?

• @ska said:
    Do you have a FastCGI-socket enabled?

PHP is running as mod_php so I don't think so.

• Not that easy to tell what command you used since its not in the OP.

Good luck.

• skaska Member
    edited September 2013

Well, you need to check where you/your system initates socket calls.

Eg. if you're running a VPN on 443 and have some IPTables routings (maybe additionally with dnsmasq) that TIME_WAIT indicates that the socket is waiting after close to handle packets still in the network.

Thanked by 1Abdussamad
  • @ska said:
    Well, you need to check where you/your system initates socket calls.

How do I do that?