Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would offloading DB from my tiny vps be helpful?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would offloading DB from my tiny vps be helpful?

omelasomelas Member

my tiny 256mb storage vps struggling to handle ttrss+nextcloud. and I have a tiny nat vps idleing, and apperently it's on same datacenter. ping between them is about 0.5ms, but it's from different provider.

Comments

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

It might, if you're correct about the ping, I think it would work fine to offload. My test was on a Drupal install where 40ms was the average between the web server and the database server - it was slow due to multiple queries but considering you're on an entirely different web application and your ms is low, I think you should try it and let us know how it works. Sounds like the probability of your success will be high in this case.

• For remote db itmust under 10ms or you will get slow querry

• Nextcloud is not a speed demon as a file server with lots of large files. Mine was a lot more comfortable with 1GB of RAM or so; of course there's also a lot of tweaking you can do to nginx and PHP-FPM. PHP memory_limit, PHP-FPM process.max, maybe pm=ondemand and pm.max_children.

I use PHP APCu memcache; I can't be sure, but I think it made a difference. Also generous use of nginx fcgi caching.

MySQL with InnoDB and default settings can be memory-hungry, but you can tweak that, too. Depending on how many users/files you have in Nextcloud, I wouldn't think the DB needs to be the bottleneck. I use PostgreSQL with very little tweaking, and it uses minimal resources.

TT-RSS really should not use a lot of RAM unless you're fetching thousands of high-traffic feeds. It has a PHP cron script that fetches feeds every 15 min; that's about it.

• Sorry for a bit out of topic, just a quick question, which is best option right now nextcloud or owncloud? And why?

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@NanoG6 said:
    Sorry for a bit out of topic, just a quick question, which is best option right now nextcloud or owncloud? And why?

Nextcloud is generally perceived as faster moving and more innovative than ownCloud, but ownCloud is fine too. For a couple of years, the difference between these two was more sociological than technical, but this is beginning to change, if slowly.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

omelas said: my tiny 256mb storage vps struggling to handle ttrss+nextcloud. and I have a tiny nat vps idleing, and apperently it's on same datacenter. ping between them is about 0.5ms, but it's from different provider.

Are you sure it's the DB?

A quick google: "Nextcloud needs a minimum of 128MB RAM, and we recommend a minimum of 512MB."