Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PowerEdge vs ThinkSystem vs ProLiant
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PowerEdge vs ThinkSystem vs ProLiant

Looking to buy a couple of servers for an on-premise setup. Which brand you suggest and why. Please exclude supermicro.

Comments

• Magic not working?

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • jhjh Member

It depends on the model. If it's a cheapish desktop system then in my limited experience, PowerEdge desktops are built to a higher standard than ProLiant desktops (T20 vs ML110).

• jh said: It depends on the model. If it's a cheapish desktop system then in my limited experience, PowerEdge desktops are built to a higher standard than ProLiant desktops (T20 vs ML110).

I'm considering rack servers like SR550.

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

My personal opinion out of the brands listed is HP, Dell then IBM/Lenovo.
    If you are seeking to purchased used hardware, we have a bunch of servers for sale.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited April 2018

Go with one that gives the most robust support and warranty in your area.

Thanked by 2Dumbledore Aidan
  • Ian_Dot_Tech said: used hardware

Looking for new ones.

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

@Dumbledore said:

Ian_Dot_Tech said: used hardware

Looking for new ones.

Just wondering, why do you not seek Supermicro?

Thanked by 1levnode
  • @Ian_Dot_Tech said:

@Dumbledore said:

Ian_Dot_Tech said: used hardware

Looking for new ones.

Just wondering, why do you not seek Supermicro?

Is exactly what I want to know

• Ian_Dot_Tech said: why do you not seek Supermicro?

I have great experience with supermicro. But this particular client doesn't want supermicro.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

How many are you looking to purchase? If it's more than, say, 5, like I said, choose one with the best support and warranty.

• deank said: How many are you looking to purchase? If it's more than, say, 5, like I said, choose one with the best support and warranty.

I'm looking to by 3 machines. I only have experience with supermicro. They provide 3 years Support.

• lurchlurch Member

Out of experience HP then dell

• niknik Member, Host Rep

You should look into QCT.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Haven’t checked prices lately but from my memory Dell is a little cheaper than HP? If you compare the same specs.

From my experience, the times I’ve been in contact with HP support there was no problem getting new parts.
    One call, explain the situation (keep all model numbers close, as they need these to get the correct replacement details).

A few questions on address where to deliver and then it will arrive within the Varepack timeline bought.

The one time I was in contact with Dell support, they knew their product, only need one support number for the build you bought.

Didn’t deliver the parts in time.
    Within 4 hours was actually close to 8 hours.

Been working with HP servers for many years and no regrets.

Thanked by 1Dumbledore
  • nickyzainickyzai Member, Host Rep

HPE and Dell are great on support in my region (Malaysia), as well as the product itself. R730 and DL380 G9. However, still prefer HPE.

Thanked by 1Dumbledore
  • trvztrvz Member

Huawei is the best.

Thanked by 1Dumbledore
  • subhojitduttasubhojitdutta Member
    edited April 2018

Dell > Fujitsu > HP (based on my personal experience and durability)

Thanked by 1Dumbledore
  • Thanks for the Input. Decided to go with HPE.

Thanked by 1mikho
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

If you're looking at used hardware then I vote Dell then HP only because of the license cost for the ILO versus the DRAC. If you're looking for new and money is no object then Cisco gets my vote.