Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can I protect my website that contain copyright materials linking?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can I protect my website that contain copyright materials linking?

If I own a website that sharing movies for free, can I protect it from being takedown by DMCA?
I will upload the movies to any filehoster and share the link on my website..

I see some website that sharing illegal content/linking are using DMCA protected logo on their site, on the page where the logo directed saying that if their website contain any copyright materials, the owner can email them to remove the material..

will their website protected from being shutdown???

Comments

• Errr from the looks of it, thats illegal no matter what... But I think what you're talking about is finding a host that ignores DMCA takedown requests..?

• @skybucks100 said:
    Errr from the looks of it, thats illegal no matter what... But I think what you're talking about is finding a host that ignores DMCA takedown requests..?

so you are saying even I remove the content upon request? dmca still can take action?
    even I am using dmca-ignore host, I still can be charged if they know i am the owner of the website right? like I live in US and sharing US movies. and they know who am I and where I live. I still in charge right?

• Yes, DMCA-ignoring hosts are kind of a bullshit concept, you are playing with fire

• You cannot be protected unless the content is your own creation/copyright.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

go to hosts who are in countries where DMCA dosent work..

• take a look on this website => CLICK HERE .. the owner put dmca protected logo on his page..
    is his server still can be terminated?

btw, dmca applied for all countries or just some of them?? because website above sharing movies mostly from Malaysia.. their government still can take action on them right?

• @psycholyzern said:
    even I am using dmca-ignore host, I still can be charged if they know i am the owner of the website right? like I live in US and sharing US movies. and they know who am I and where I live. I still in charge right?

Uhh, if you live in the US and are uploading copyrighted material.. thats just a bad idea.. Hosting that kind of stuff in the US? Well, look at Megaupload.. Your best bet is to: Move to Sweden and then buy servers not in America (France for example)

• JohnRoeJohnRoe Member
    edited September 2013

@agentmishra said:
    go to hosts who are in countries where DMCA dosent work..

like I said, if they(dmca people/owner of the materials) know where I live, they still can take action on me in court right?

• @skybucks100 said:
    Uhh, if you live in the US and are uploading copyrighted material.. thats just a bad idea.. Hosting that kind of stuff in the US? Well, look at Megaupload.. Your best bet is to: Move to Sweden and then buy servers not in America (France for example)

do you mean I have to moved myself into other countries like sweden and buy dmca-ignore server to completely protect me from any action?

• @psycholyzern said:
    do you mean I have to moved myself into other countries like sweden and buy dmca-ignore server to completely protect me from any action?

Pretty much, move to somewhere that doesn't have a lot of ties to America (so you don't get extradited) for example: Sweden and Iceland both have really big "freedom of speech" policies. But at the end of the day, there is no 100% guarantee of not being shut down.

• @Zen said:
    DMCA is limited to the USA. Anyone can enforce it if they wish (any host that is) whether they are based on the USA or not.

You are vulnerable to DMCA if your website is containing copyright materials, but only if the host is accepting DMCA (most of the time inside the USA).

Adding a 'DMCA protected' logo has nothing to do with you being protected from DMCA requests, but merely means "If you rip this site, we will send DMCA's, via this agency which we pay to do so legally" - ironic given your website and the fact that it breaks the DMCA.

then, there is no completely way to protect my website?
    ok.. I understand that..
    but what about forum where user sharing illegal things?
    recently, admin of http://torrent.jiwang.cc/ were arrested because too many illegal torrents shared by his user on the forum.. the domain suddenly blocked.. but after some times, the website get back to normal because the admin was released..
    I searched the internet and found about how to avoid dmca on website with users..
    btw, I am just thinking how he can survive through the process since he live in Malaysia, his website contain mostly malaysian's movies, mp3s in p2p sharing method(but still he own the tracker), and his government who arrested him..

• @skybucks100 said:
    Pretty much, move to somewhere that doesn't have a lot of ties to America (so you don't get extradited) for example: Sweden and Iceland both have really big "freedom of speech" policies. But at the end of the day, there is no 100% guarantee of not being shut down.

thats right.. but to move across the sea, that would take more money than to loosing my website ..lol

• CyberBunker?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited September 2013

ROFL - This is seriously a thread here? Seriously?!

• @psycholyzern said:
    If I own a website that sharing movies for free, can I protect it from being takedown by DMCA?

May I assume the above mentioned movies are not distributed with permit of copyright holders?

If yes, the advice is to stop carrying out illegal activity.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • Unless you know what you are getting into and/or how you should handle any problems, which it seems like you have no clue what you are doing, you are going to get arrested

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited September 2013

Mhm, move YOURSELF and your server to another country.

Even then you will eventually get shutdown.

• GunterGunter Member
    edited September 2013

There are enough linking websites.

Either move to PRQ and politely accept all DCMA takedown notices, or just stop there because you couldn't possibly compete with anybody because of your DCMA takedown policy to begin with.

As much as I am a firm supporter of piracy and copyright infringement, I also would enjoy seeing you arrested for being naive about the risks of such operation.

If you are concerned, fail to be paranoid and aren't prepared to constantly switch providers in fear, don't run a piracy operation.

• @skybucks100 said:

Lol... They won't come after you for some stupid warez linking site...

On topic: get a few vps around the world, just not in USA and setup database mirroring and pretty much nothing can go wrong

• @DalComp said:
    CyberBunker?

Not operational. http://ecatel.co.uk is

• @skybucks100 said:
    Your best bet is to: Move to Sweden and then buy servers not in America (France for example)

and no, this is utter bullshit. Free speech != being able to spread warez without getting prosecuted...

Just use hosting outside US and don't use your name anywhere that would proof you own the site (especially public whois of your domain)

• @Frost said:
    and no, this is utter bullshit. Free speech != being able to spread warez without getting prosecuted...

>

Just use hosting outside US and don't use your name anywhere that would proof you own the site (especially public whois of your domain)

Like I said "But at the end of the day, there is no 100% guarantee of not being shut down." he said "then, there is no completely way to protect my website?". If you want more reassurance, don't live in America.

@Frost said:
    Lol... They won't come after you for some stupid warez linking site...

Also, Wasn't it Richard O'Dwyer who got extradited to the US for linking to pirated MP3s...? Just saying...

• Basically everything @Frost said is what's worth reading if you still plan on doing this, OP

• if you remove on request you won't get in any major trouble unless you're earning a huge amount of money from it. That's from my own personal experience.