Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fall of BlackBerry - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fall of BlackBerry

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I got a BT keyboard and mouse for phone/tablet, and it works OK, can do RDP and then everything I need is at hand. Phone make and tablet are not so important, except battery life, screen resolution and size.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@DalComp said:
    Indonesia is still a big market for Blackberry, surprisingly due to their Blackberry Messenger. They came before Whatsapp, Line, WeChat, etc., and is now become normal business practice. Online shop displays BBM contact on their site/offers, heck even a friend of mine who is working in a big investment firm is obligated to have a Blackberry.

Isn't that because Blackberry Messenger enables you to avoid text messaging fees? I heard the same thing from a few of my European friends when I asked them why they used Blackberries--but that was back in 2009. It seemed like people were only using Blackberries because of a billing technicality...

• Some of Indonesian just use Blackberry because or their prestige.
    Some use it because they want a private chat without using phone number, just using the BBM Pin.

If for the text messaging, some people moved to WhatsApp or WeChat. Blackberry just annoying for some people that don't want to pay the subscription. Most will just go with Android or Iphone.

• thats why in sungard they say "capitalize on change"

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited September 2013

@BrianHarrison said:
    Isn't that because Blackberry Messenger enables you to avoid text messaging fees?

Yes, I believe so. Certainly today there are a lot more alternatives, such as WhatsApp, WeChat, Line, etc., which in my opinion are more practical as everyone can use them -not just limited to BlackBerry users. But BBM was already popular when these alternatives came into the (Indonesian) market, some people are just reluctant to change...

But what really empowered BlackBerry popularity in Indonesia was Barrack Obama. The USA president once lived in Indonesia (when he was a kid) and became a big headline when he entered US election. It was similarly a big news when he was reported to be using BlackBerry, and thus its popularity... Some people did their marketing nicely.

• @Spirit said:
    Siemens

The bedding company?

• @Rallias said:
    The bedding company?

Siemens AG is a German multinational engineering and electronics conglomerate company headquartered in Munich and Berlin, Germany. It is the largest Europe-based electronics and electrical engineering company. - wiki

http://www.gsmarena.com/siemens-phones-3.php They were quite popular in Europe some decade or more ago. Not as much as some Nokia or Ericsson but still.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited September 2013

@Rallias said:
    The bedding company?

I think you meant Serta or Sealy. Never saw too many Siemen's mobiles in the America's, I have seen plenty of their land-line products though.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited September 2013

Siemens S35i was my first phone with internet access (WAP) 13 years ago. It was very well built for it's time with infrared port we don't see in modern phones today. Battey life lasted whole week.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited September 2013

@Spirit said:
    Siemens S35i was my first phone with internet access (WAP) 13 years ago. It was very well build for it's time with infrared port we don't see in modern phones today. Battey life lasted whole week.

IR is supposedly coming back to higher end phones, I know the HTC One has it but honestly I never found it very useful. Bluetooth does not require line of sight and serves many of the same functions of IR aside from being able to control your TV.

I do miss having a phone that I didn't need to charge for days at a time but I blame that on my higher data requirements and larger screen size. While Li-ion battery technology has improved it's still far from perfect, so I hate phones that don't have user replaceable batteries.

I would honestly be happy with just a QWERTY keyboard.

• I had a BB before (8310 about 5years ago) actually I liked it first but right now I hate it I have HTC Titan with windows phone 7.5 it is more better than BB

• @Spirit said:
    write text message with N97 QWERTY keyboard atleast 3x faster and easier than with any pure touch screen phone.

I'm guessing u don't use swype on android.

• Naah, text input methods doesn't play well in my native language and beside that when I said atleast 3x faster I mean without watching phone screen when using QWERTY keyboard.
    Maybe if I would really need more functionality I would get used to it, but as long I am not forced into I am going to stick with this I feel comfortable in my daily usage.

• @nunim said:
    I think you meant Serta or Sealy. Never saw too many Siemen's mobiles in the America's, I have seen plenty of their land-line products though.

Lulz... I was trying to remember if they were refrigerators, dishwashers, or beds... :P

• PatsPats Member
    edited September 2013

that reminds me of my Siemens S45 in 2001, i'd say it was the best with features at that time - http://www.gsmarena.com/siemens_s45-243.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/siemens_s45-pictures-243.php

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Speaking of mobile phone manufacturers that are far past their prime (or in this case extinct) anyone remember and/or use a Palm device?

I had multiple Treos, running both Palm OS and Windows Mobile. Then I got a Treo Pro and from there went to a Pre. Palm is a company which if it had more scale could have done amazing things. Consider the fact that the entire development team of Web OS was only about 100 people...

Unfortunately the hardware quality and design of the Pre simply wasn't good enough, but man, had they come out with a slightly better device who knows what could have happened.

And of course everyone knows that HP bought them, then killed them. :( :(

• DarwinDarwin Member
    edited October 2013

I had a Palm Zire 72 and a foldable keyboard

Was a great quality keyboard, but a very stupid design - Palm used IR so you had to keep Palm/keyboard aligned while typing

@Darwin said:
    I had a Palm Zire 72 and a foldable keyboard

Was a great quality keyboard, but a very stupid design - Palm used IR so you had to keep Palm/keyboard aligned while typing

Feels pretty old school these days.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

For me was battery life that was annoying. My first phone was a motorola d460, some 3 cm thick lasting 3 days in stand-by. Soon after getting it i was envying ppl with nokia 5100 for their 1 week battery, when motorola (was using a big sim, full size card) was retired, I tried to get a nokia but they were no longer in production so got a phillips savvy, similar design and was also lasting 1 week.
    My main problem and consequently late adoption of smart phones was the low battery duration, however i got a cheap small powerbank directly from china which can rechage both phone and tablet, so, instead of 3 days with moderate internet radio usage and talking, it can last 6 without the need of a wall socket, or even more if I charge only the phone. It is a very good investment at 8 $ or so.

Some news was released today that Blackberry's CEO is stepping down and they are no longer attempting to sell themselves (because the group that committed to doing so couldn't get the financing).

And it gets darker...

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

The biggest problems RIM had was their lack of moving at the speed of technology and the ridiculous adoption costs.

1) For corporate blackberry use you needed the following: BES Server (Per User License), Exchange Server (Per User License), BES Data Plan (Ridiculously Priced in Canada $40 for 200MB at one point). What you got for that investment: a device that can read plain text emails, and sync calendar, contacts and mail.

On an iPhone all you needed was an exchange server or even a fucking gmail account and you were good to go with synced email, contacts and calendar. Not to mention full HTML email support, and a proper browser, not that shitty Blackberry browser that was a clunky mess.

Now almost any device can do push email, and yet here is RIM / Blackberry trying to peddle their crap. I think a lot of people are disappointed in Blackberry. but I also think a lot of them saw this coming a mile away.

I was surprised that Blackberry didn't have an immediate response to the iPhone with the amount of cash and talent that they had. Then again... shitty management.

Thanked by 1Zen
  • smansman Member
    edited November 2013

IMHO...Blackberry should be a cautionary tale to any company still trying to lock customers into their closed proprietary technology business when there are more open non-proprietary options. I'm looking at you Cisco! Microsoft should have realized this long ago and still seems to be in denial. If they weren't they would have released MSOffice for Linux by now.

• smansman Member
    edited November 2013

@Zen said:
    Luckily for Cisco, they've pulled it off in such a way that the entire market, even hiring, relies in some way on them. They can lock in that bullshit position even with tons of competitors popping up because of how reliant people are, that's where Apple won by making the transition to their product easy, unfortunately it isn't easy with networking.

You are speaking of the past. Networking hardware has been comoditizing for some time now. CCNE isn't nearly as valuable as it used to be. I don't see that trend changing. This is exactly what happened to M$ and their certifications as well.

Both companies are still doing well in the Enterprise because that segment changes much more slowly.

• @sman said:
    IMHO...Blackberry should be a cautionary tale to any company still trying to lock customers into their closed proprietary technology business when there are more open non-proprietary options.

Nobody told Apple.

• sman said: You are speaking of the past. Networking hardware has been comoditizing for some time now.

Sure, the network hardware people put in their living room. Cisco's bread and butter is not that market.

• smansman Member
    edited November 2013

@Microlinux said:
    Nobody told Apple.

More then 1 way to skin a cat. You don't need Apple servers to run Apple Email on your iPhone. Also iTunes....etc. etc. Blackberry tried to lock down the entire infrastructure and sell licenses.

• smansman Member
    edited November 2013

@Microlinux said:
    Sure, the network hardware people put in their living room. Cisco's bread and butter is not that market.

You can buy alternatives to most if not all Cisco stuff. Even in the enterprise there are companies like Juniper competing. Comoditize doesn't necessarily mean non-proprietary either. Just means there isn't a lot of improvements need to the technology and one product can do just as good a job as the next.

• @sman said:
    You can buy alternatives to most if not all Cisco stuff.

It has been that way for a very long time.

@sman said: Even in the enterprise there are companies like Juniper competing.

There have been companies competing for quite some time, nothing new here

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I don't any problem with BB, but only one: too expensive. It may be the people's "smartphone" if priced correctly.

• smansman Member
    edited November 2013

@Microlinux said:

And Cisco stock hasn't done anything since 2000. So Wall Street agrees with you. Microsoft and Intel stock are doing exactly the same thing.
    https://www.google.com/finance?chdnp=0&chdd=1&chds=1&chdv=1&chvs=Logarithmic&chdeh=0&chfdeh=0&chdet=1383598800000&chddm=2377671&chls=IntervalBasedLine&q=NASDAQ:CSCO&ntsp=0&ei=bAd4UqmWEKmziALkLg

Intel has a path out though since their manufacturing capability was built up over decates and is not something anyone is going to out manuever them on any time soon.