Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Faster or one login location?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Faster or one login location?

BlueVMBlueVM Member
edited February 2012 in General

Alright so my company is getting an additional set of servers on the west coast sometime in the next month or two. Now my question is as a client would you prefer to have one URL that worked for all of the servers or different urls for different locations?

In this particular case it would slow down the control panel slightly, but not horribly... Which would you prefer a single url or "snappy" control panels?

Also we plan to offer a bunch of free trials on the west coast when it launches to fill the servers. Good idea or bad (in your opinion)?

Comments

• @BlueVM

It shouldn't affect your control panel like you say. Just make sure you optimize the tables and flush out old data that you don't need.

As a client I would want one control panel.

• Unify everything. I don't see any reason why clients need to know which control panels are for what and why, unless you have a good reason.

• I only pop onto the control panel once a month (if that...) so save yourself the money and trouble and leave it all on the one.

• @Corey said: As a client I would want one control panel.

Signed.

• @BlueVM said: Also we plan to offer a bunch of free trials on the west coast when it launches to fill the servers. Good idea or bad (in your opinion)?

IMO, trial is bad idea. Offer some discount instead, it's gives more responsibility. :)

Thanked by 1prearftharged
  • @draco said: Unify everything. I don't see any reason why clients need to know which control panels are for what and why, unless you have a good reason.

This. Experienced users won't use the panel enough to notice. I often forget I even have access to one. Inexperienced users won't know enough to notice or care about the difference, and would definitely benefit from a single unified interface.

Thanked by 1prearftharged
  • Also we plan to offer a bunch of free trials on the west coast when it launches to fill the servers. Good idea or bad (in your opinion)?

Good for legitimate customers, but it sounds like you're opening yourself up for abuse.