Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can a shared hosting provider restrict https?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can a shared hosting provider restrict https?

mikeimikei Member
edited March 2018 in General

I'm sort of in an argument with doteasy.com support. Don't laugh, I know ))).

I tried to install Letsencrypt.org. It was active in SSL/TLS Status in cPanel, but https didn't work. Browser error: "This site can’t provide a secure connection domain.ca uses an unsupported protocol. ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH"

I submitted a ticket, they, of course, said, "Letsencrypt is not secured enough la la la" and wouldn't work without a didicated IP at all.

Allright, I tried Cloudflare, No luck. The support tried to convince to buy a $25 shared hosting option that comes with SSL or at least a dedicated IP.

So I wonder if a shared host provider can restrict https even for use with Cloudflare? They don't confess, of course.

Thanks

Comments

• NomadNomad Member

That's an error due to Cloudflare I think.

Go to CF settings and change ssl setting to Flexible (?) and try again.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2018

"Letsencrypt is not secured enough"

If they really said that I'd say its time to cancel. Cert issuer has no bearing on what ciphers the server config offers - letsencrypt (in terms of ciphers) is just as secure as any certificate.

There's some minor differences between DV OV and EV, but nothing that impacts cipher used.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • without knowing your domain we cant help debug your problem.

even if you posted this on letsencrypt they'll asking your domain

• solairesolaire Member
    edited March 2018

They obviously want to sell you a SSL certificate they make the most profit on.

Instead, cancel your service with them and go with a provider that supports LetsEncrypt out of the box.

• @Nomad said:

Afaik, setting should be in strict for LE

Also, CloudFlare proxy shows error bit different in bit nicer format.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • mikeimikei Member
    edited March 2018

@Nomad said:

I tried flexible

• mikeimikei Member

@jackb said:
    "Letsencrypt is not secured enough"

If they really said that I'd say its time to cancel. Cert issuer has no bearing on what ciphers the server config offers - letsencrypt (in terms of ciphers) is just as secure as any certificate.

There's some minor differences between DV OV and EV, but nothing that impacts cipher used.

Thank you! That is what I wanted to know.
    It's not mine, I recommended canceling it, but they paid for a dedicated IP instead.

• mikeimikei Member

@solaire said:
    They obviously want to sell you a SSL certificate they make the most profit on.

Instead, cancel your service with them and go with a provider that supports LetsEncrypt out of the box.

Obviously.

• mikeimikei Member

@sibaper said:
    without knowing your domain we cant help debug your problem.

I'm trying with dedicated IP now. At least, it's working, but no lock yet, maybe need to wait.

• mikeimikei Member
    edited March 2018

@mikei said:

@sibaper said:

I'm trying with dedicated IP now. At least, it's working, but no lock yet, maybe need to wait.

It's working now. It was a mixed content issue.

Thank you everybody! Doteasy confirmed:)
    I can't even say "avoid". Obvious.

• bapbap Member
    edited March 2018

Letsencrypt is not secured enough ~ LET quotes today

• @mikei said:

@sibaper said:

Do you still have dedicated IP? If the case isn't that your provider is totally blocking access to https without it, you can get through without paying for a dedicated IP using CloudFlare. Shouldn't be a problem.

• mikeimikei Member

@jetchirag said:

@mikei said:

@sibaper said:

Do you still have dedicated IP? If the case isn't that your provider is totally blocking access to https without it, you can get through without paying for a dedicated IP using CloudFlare. Shouldn't be a problem.

It's now working with Letsencrypt and dedicated IP. I tried Cloudflare thinking to bypass the block, but had no luck.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@mikei said:
    It's now working with Letsencrypt and dedicated IP. I tried Cloudflare thinking to bypass the block, but had no luck.

Assuming they got you to pay for that, you should (or recommend your friend to) switch to a host who actually supports LetsEncrypt by default...

• AidanAidan Member

mikei said: Letsencrypt is not secured enough

Move your site away, as soon as possible - these idiots have no idea what they're talking about.

• @mikei said:

@jetchirag said:

@mikei said:

@sibaper said:

CloudFlare takes little time to issue certificate. Also, it you don't have SSL at main server, set it to flexible.

• @Aidan said:

Move your site away, as soon as possible - these idiots have no idea what they're talking about.

Perhaps it was the lvl1 support. And we all know how they are... The only correct answers you will get are from a knowledgebase, everything else is meme quality.

Thanked by 2Aidan mikei
  • "Letsencrypt is not secured" !!
    There are no differences between free SSL and other,
    You should just extended every 45 days

• emghemgh Member

@vovler said:

@Aidan said:

Perhaps it was the lvl1 support. And we all know how they are... The only correct answers you will get are from a knowledgebase, everything else is meme quality.

Yes, I remember when I was looking for a dedicated server for my Minecraft server with 40-50 players. I asked a host regarding the memory requirements, obviously there's nothing saying that they should know that but he asked me to hold on while he asked his colleagues and the answer he came up with was 128-256 gb of ram. The reality was I needed somewhere around 16.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

This is ssl racism. Sue them for us in the name of greater justice.

• mikeimikei Member

@vovler said:

@Aidan said:

Ha ha ha, I predicted that and referred to their kb in the ticket. KB explains how to install a certificate that won't work anyways)))

• Have you tried cloudflare strict while generating a cloudflare origin cert(only valid when orange clouded)

Thanked by 1mikei
  • mikeimikei Member

@AlexJones said:
    Have you tried cloudflare strict while generating a cloudflare origin cert(only valid when orange clouded)

Conspiratorially ..)